Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to replace the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires with some UHP All Season tires but was forced to! I was driving on the highway when the TPMS warning came on showing right front tire at 21psi. Was still driving normal so I just monitored for a bit and then watched it drop every couple minutes or so and I thought maybe i picked up a nail. I knew I was just a few exits from a Discount Tire so I pressed on and watched it drop to 7psi at the exit I needed.

Pulled into Discount Tire and they measured the tread and found the inner fronts were worn down to the belts!

As you are aware, we don't have a spare so I had to put a replacement on and couldn't really shop for a specific tire. They only had one set in my size which was Continental ControlContact Sport SRS. I hadn't even heard of these before and apparently they are made specifically for Discount Tire.

So far I like them, ride is good and quiet. I haven't really pushed them in corners yet but the store manager told me his son has them on his Subaru WRX and really likes them so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious about that too, I will have the dealer check when I get my next oil change which is soon. I have not changed the camber and it doesn't appear visually to have any negative camber so idk. This is my first vehicle with a staggered setup so maybe this is just normal and I didn't notice soon enough.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Almost looks like a rub? But, I'd get the alignment checked as well.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Toe-out will cause that kind of wear, too, probably faster than camber will. Bent tie rod?

Definitely check alignment.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Would have to be wicked toe out, maybe just a bad tire, threw a belt?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Wow, that is incredible harsh inner tire wear for the mileage, and the outer and middle tread looks great for the mileage. You indicated that both fronts were worn to the inner belts. You were driving on the front inner edges, not getting anywhere near proper full footprint. There is a bad issue with the alignment.
My 08 has 1.5 degrees of negative camber ( oem spec .07 degree) driven on roadtrips around America and to tracks, and gets decent tread flat wear.
Hope you kept the used front tires, should bring them to the Ford dealer for a warranty claim. Unless there is visible damage to the front alignment, it is factory screw up.
It sucks that you had to make a forced choice. Hope the Conti's work.
That is why I got a aftermarket spare for the 19 and cans of Slime. Get me home.

·
Premium Member
2008 DHG #3122
357 Posts
Bought my 2008 Bullitt in 2013 and put four Continental tires on it. Don’t know their official name, but they are the cruising tires and I really like them. They have held up well.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update, drove in the rain the other day and I am VERY impressed with the WET traction! I really got on it a couple times specifically to see if they'd break loose and they did NOT, they just really gripped well!

I still had 3/32 tread in the rears but I knew I was close because the last couple thousand miles the rears felt "greasy" and broke loose a little too easily. Having said that, the first 25K miles those Michelins were the BEST street tires I've ever driven.

Getting the oil changed later this week and I'll post results of alignment check.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm amazed you got that many miles out of those tires considering how soft/sticky they are. Is everyone else seeing about the same mileage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm amazed you got that many miles out of those tires considering how soft/sticky they are. Is everyone else seeing about the same mileage?
I don't think I've gotten that many miles on mine, but I may have scrubbed some miles off them at the track a few times. They're a great all around tire in my opinion. Mine need to be replaced now and I'll likely go with them again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts