Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I was out with a buddy when a new GT with paper plates came up next to me at a stoplight. When the light turned green, it was on. I pulled a full car length ahead of him through 2nd gear, then when I hit third it was like I didn't have the feeling I had in 1st or 2nd. He pulled by me buy the time I hit 4th and he kept pulling away. My buddy and I can't understand what went wrong. I would shift around 4800 rpm, but for some reason my 3rd gear is my weakest gear. Does anyone have the same problem or could give me some sugestions on what I need to do different. Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
if you pulled out in front of him theres no way he could have caught up and beat you unless you didnt shift right. You said that you shifted at 4800. thats probably why he caught up. i shift around 5800. im pretty sure thats what happend.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Practice chirping gears to be sure you're hitting the torque curve where it's optimal. You've got to get your R's up to compete.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i shift at 6100 and i took a 99 cobra last night we went too 120 and i had him by 3 lengths... the guy was mad until he saw it was a bullitt and not just a regular GT. we talked for a whil and i ask him if he wanted to switch cars so i could show him that his is faster he just needs to learn how to drive. he said no and then left.... o well. kill on a 99 cobra :smile:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whoa, that can't be right, unless he was packing something under the hood that you couldn't see. :grin: I'll just call it "a bad day"
--WH

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you shifted from 2 to 3 @ 4800 rpm's your engine will drop to 3200 rpm. According to the torque-HP chart in the recent 5.0 mag, a Bullitt only produces 156 HP at that rpm. If you shifted at 5800 rpm, you engine will drop to 3900 rpm. At that rpm, the Bullitt engine produces 203 HP.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It's funny how some of you guys say you can take Cobras. I wonder if the majority of the Cobra drivers are any good at all. No offense to the people I saw at HRP that Sunday 3 weeks ago but one Cobra guy I talked to was only doing 13.7s on DRs. I am aware that it was instant green and all but if JB is doing 13.3s in a Bullitt with 40 less hp on DRs, shouldn't our fellow Cobra brethren be doing 12.8s or so? Anyways, to the Cobra beaters and eaters, and those who just have a kick ass time racing, I salute you!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The more I hear about Bullitt's vs. Cobras the more I wonder how great our cars really are. At first I was pretty skeptical about Bullitt's beating Cobra's but now that I read that 5.0 mag review I drive around with a little more confidence, and my head held a little higher.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Well, I raced a GT the other day and we went nose to nose until about 95 when we saw a cop. We were even shifting at the same time. But when I tried to stop him to see if he had any mods on it he kept going. I do know that he had an aftermarket exhaust and some super wide tires. My guess is that he was p*ssed that he didn't win. Wish that I knew what he has done to it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I must profess to this, THE ONLY WAY A GT WILL HANG is if they have something done. Flows, CAI, or some other device other than a K&N. I raced a 99 GT with a 5 speed and I couldn't finish the gap I started. At the upper RPMs, he began to pull on me. Everytime I shifted, I led out a little more, but he kept coming closer. Not something I like too much.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You are no fun. You have WAY TOO MANY MODS against me. X pipe, spings, flows, densecharger, and God knows what else! NO!!! But I can beat you off the launch. :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts