Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I was out with a buddy when a new GT with paper plates came up next to me at a stoplight. When the light turned green, it was on. I pulled a full car length ahead of him through 2nd gear, then when I hit third it was like I didn't have the feeling I had in 1st or 2nd. He pulled by me buy the time I hit 4th and he kept pulling away. My buddy and I can't understand what went wrong. I would shift around 4800 rpm, but for some reason my 3rd gear is my weakest gear. Does anyone have the same problem or could give me some sugestions on what I need to do different. Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
i shift at 6100 and i took a 99 cobra last night we went too 120 and i had him by 3 lengths... the guy was mad until he saw it was a bullitt and not just a regular GT. we talked for a whil and i ask him if he wanted to switch cars so i could show him that his is faster he just needs to learn how to drive. he said no and then left.... o well. kill on a 99 cobra :smile:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whoa, that can't be right, unless he was packing something under the hood that you couldn't see. :grin: I'll just call it "a bad day"
--WH

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you shifted from 2 to 3 @ 4800 rpm's your engine will drop to 3200 rpm. According to the torque-HP chart in the recent 5.0 mag, a Bullitt only produces 156 HP at that rpm. If you shifted at 5800 rpm, you engine will drop to 3900 rpm. At that rpm, the Bullitt engine produces 203 HP.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It's funny how some of you guys say you can take Cobras. I wonder if the majority of the Cobra drivers are any good at all. No offense to the people I saw at HRP that Sunday 3 weeks ago but one Cobra guy I talked to was only doing 13.7s on DRs. I am aware that it was instant green and all but if JB is doing 13.3s in a Bullitt with 40 less hp on DRs, shouldn't our fellow Cobra brethren be doing 12.8s or so? Anyways, to the Cobra beaters and eaters, and those who just have a kick ass time racing, I salute you!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The more I hear about Bullitt's vs. Cobras the more I wonder how great our cars really are. At first I was pretty skeptical about Bullitt's beating Cobra's but now that I read that 5.0 mag review I drive around with a little more confidence, and my head held a little higher.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Well, I raced a GT the other day and we went nose to nose until about 95 when we saw a cop. We were even shifting at the same time. But when I tried to stop him to see if he had any mods on it he kept going. I do know that he had an aftermarket exhaust and some super wide tires. My guess is that he was p*ssed that he didn't win. Wish that I knew what he has done to it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I must profess to this, THE ONLY WAY A GT WILL HANG is if they have something done. Flows, CAI, or some other device other than a K&N. I raced a 99 GT with a 5 speed and I couldn't finish the gap I started. At the upper RPMs, he began to pull on me. Everytime I shifted, I led out a little more, but he kept coming closer. Not something I like too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts