Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its already been a stressful week with finals already (im a junior in college) and to add to my stress the springfield police were on a crusade to pull over anything and everything even remotely thinking about violating the law.

It all started on a break between my morning finals. I left school momentarily to run to a gas station and get some caffene and doughnuts. On the way back I saw a guy pulled over by a bike cop in a GTI and I though to myself, "gee that sucks on a day this nice." Never think that to yourself, as I may have jinxed myself right there. It was one of those days when it is borderline using the a/c with the windows up, and unfortunately for me it was the wrong day to use it.

I was in the left turn lane with nobody behind me, with the GTI pulled over in the adajacent lane next to me. I know from watching cops that when somebody gets pulled over there is always another officer nearby in case anything should happen, backup if you will. Well his backup just happened to pass me with my windows up (of corse the only day I had them up) and then pull a u-turn right behind me. Ah f*%$ I said to myself. After following me about a mile back to school he pulls me over right in front of the school parking lot where everyone and their brother could see me as I inevitably recieved a ticket. Pretty embarrassing in front of your peers like that.

While I have the upmost respect for the law, it couldn't have come at a worse time. Finals week is stressful as it is and the experience left me a bit steemed. I told him that I had just gotten the car (I did in January) and the guy before me had gotten the window tint put on. I told him that I got it inspected recently to no avail. Apparently my sides are at 5%, which is about 6 times the legal darkness here in missouri. Nothing I told him mattered. At $83 dollars for the ticket I cant complain too much I guess tho. He did say there had been some shootings around town and they were cracking down on the window tint issue. Ah but still I have always been lucky and it seems my streak has run out. So here's the lessons of the day folks:

1) You can get pulled over for any one violation of the law. I had originally thought it took a primary violation (ex speeding, wrecklessness) in addition to a secondary violation (window tint, loud music) to get pulled over and ticketed. Lesson learned the hard way.

2) Cops have fancy light detector things that they can use to check window tint almost instantaneously.

3) Legal tint in missouri is 35%

4) Vehicle inspections do not evaluate window tint. They check the mechanical condition of the car, and therefore you can pass inspection with any amount of tint on your windows.

5) Unrelated note - you can get ticketed for having a radar detector in the car if the officer so chooses. I was lucky on this one today. I think this one is like over $130 dollars.

So in conclusion, the $83 will be paid and the tint will probably have to come off. Argh I really liked the way 976 looked with the blackout windows! I wanted to post this because several people have asked about tint (#1078 in particular) and I wanted to give some forwarning to them. And also to blow off some steam :irked:

So I wanna hear some of your worst encounters with the law. Not to rant against the law enforcement, but I think I will feel better if I hear some stories that are worse than mine!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I was about 17 and got a speeding ticket, to this day I am sure I was not going over the limit. In the 45 years since I have never gotten a ticket I did not deserve. The police are doing the job they are paid to do and I do not have a problem with that.

If you knew the tint was illegal, well-----------

·
Registered
710 Posts
I never really had any problems with the city cops, but man the staties and one especially loves to bust my balls. He has gotten me for some bs stuff in every vehicle i have owned and even my younger brother who could pass as my twin when he was driving my truck one day.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Just a thought

I don't understand half your laws but it makes for some interesting reading.
5 % tints look great during the day but it I think it is way too dark if you drive at night.

Lastly move to the UK because the cops don't stop anybody at all anymore
they are all too afraid of upsetting anyone and would not stop a car with dark windows just in case there
was a minority in the car who might complain..............

·
Registered
312 Posts
From the other perspective regarding tints, cops stop cars without really knowing who is in the car. Dark tint only makes this worse. If he can't see into the car as he walks up on it, he can't know if there is a weapon in the car or if the driver is preparing to do him harm. You could call that a big disadvantage. Being able to see a potential assailant before he gets the drop on you is helpful. That's the real push behind enforcing the "[email protected]#$%" law.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
yup, I agree with most things in the thread

I like the 35% law, as it's a good compromise IMHO between safety and tint desires.
Up in NJ though, you can have the windows blacked out all over the car, except for the driver side and passenger side front windows. Personally I think that is just about ****ing retarded as you can be. It should be like a 35% law all around.... I think 35% all around is safer than 5% all around minus 2 windows.

One of the reasons Jersey sucks :D

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
here in florida 35% is the legal limit, but to me if your gonna put 35% on your windows you might as well just not put any on at all. lol i ahve 5% but....so do the cops so they dont really say anything.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
My brother-in-law got pulled over for speeding the other day. He also got ticked for not signing his registration slip he keeps in his glove box. Pretty petty IMO....

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
This is the reason that I suggested that you only go as dark as the law allows. Only takes one time of paying the fine and scraping tint off to make it worth not going past the legal limit. May never have a problem but.......

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
This is the reason that I suggested that you only go as dark as the law allows. Only takes one time of paying the fine and scraping tint off to make it worth not going past the legal limit. May never have a problem but....... I have heard of some Texas DPS officers giving tickets to out of state drivers. They stop you for speeding, see dark tint and start measuring. They have all 50 states legal tint limits and if your car doesn't pass with what your state allows you get a ticket. Have fun fighting that one.

It has become a priority since several officers have been shot by suspects with very dark tint.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have gotten pulled over for illegal tint. Got a ticket, told the cop I would take it off. Well I went to court, talked to the judge. Asked her if I could take the tint off and not pay the fine. Tell the judge that you told the cop that you would take it off. Be very respectful to the judge and sympathetic. Trust me it works. Don't go in there saying you just bought the car and you WERE going to take off the tint. They'll turn it around and state, "You should have taken it off that night." My .02

Chad

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
So I wanna hear some of your worst encounters with the law. Not to rant against the law enforcement, but I think I will feel better if I hear some stories that are worse than mine!
Encounters from the "other" side as a former LEO. I have pulled over several vehicles with dark tint for various traffic infractions (not because of the tint). It was quite alarming walking up on a vehicle where I could not see what was going on inside. I would always have my duty weapon out and at the ready. It finally got to the point where if I noticed dark tint prior to the stop, I would break off the stop because the uncertainty of the situation was not worth it.

Sorry to hear about the citation. Bullitts do look cool with tint.

Collin

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If you do not like the tint laws in your state, talk to your elected officials and try to change them, if not just follow the laws. Very easy to be law abiding.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Worse PO-PO/five-o encounter was when i was coming home at 12 in the morning from a movie and hit an oil slick, i was in my 68' coupe, and hit another car. and i was on the phone with my father letting him know what happend when the police got there and the officer that came over to me started yelling at for no reason and harrasing me to get off the phone, i said im just letting my father know whats going on, i was 19, and when i got off the phone 2 seconds later he started harrassing me about whether or not my car would turn on so i could move and how old i was. he kept asking those 2 questions over and over and over so fast and i couldnt even answer him cause i was soooooo upset that my beautiful car had just been wrecked and so i finally handed my license and registration to him and my hand hit is and he grab my wrist and held it above my head, so i pulled away and sat down to calm down. and the next thing i knew was two officers throwing me on the ground and still yelling at me for whatever reason idk. and then going to jail for hitting a police officer WTF is that ****. sorry collin after that i havnt had the best view of police officers.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
I Also Had A Friendly Meeting

I was driving the 04 GT home from Florida and got off the expressway for a while in Tennessee. Well, in Benton, Tennessee I drove through a speed trap and had a friendly meeting with a good ol' boy. $85 bucks worth. The speed limit on a four lane highway was suddenly 40 mph. ooops.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Those are the worst rick, from 55 to 35 or 25, if you dont slow down fast enough or you dont know its been changed and they sit right next to the sign and grab ya lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gee by the title of your post it sounded like some sort of felony arrest!....its just a window tint ticket...... So pull the side window tint and go back to class

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i had 5% all the way around for less than a week. looked great, but i had a ticket almost instantly after i got it. 3 days later i came out to the drive way to leave for work and two cop cars were waiting. they wanted their turn to right me a ticket i guess. they were pretty upset when i showed them the other citation and left.
i've always had good experiences with cops other than my local pd. they are considered the joke of a department in this area. they spend 99% of their time busting me for no front plate and kids not wearing bike helmets at the elementary school.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Ezekial said:
yup, I agree with most things in the thread

I like the 35% law, as it's a good compromise IMHO between safety and tint desires.
Up in NJ though, you can have the windows blacked out all over the car, except for the driver side and passenger side front windows. Personally I think that is just about ****ing retarded as you can be. It should be like a 35% law all around.... I think 35% all around is safer than 5% all around minus 2 windows.

One of the reasons Jersey sucks :D
Most all SUV's, Mini Vans, Pickups, and Cars that are the top models have 20% on back side windows.

I do agree 5% is too dark to be real safe at night, but I don't agree with 35% all around.

That said, I'll be getting my front sides tinted, would like then to match the rear side which is 20%... but I may go with the legal 35% which will balance it out some.

Mr.BULLITT said:
here in florida 35% is the legal limit, but to me if your gonna put 35% on your windows you might as well just not put any on at all. lol i ahve 5% but....so do the cops so they dont really say anything.
This is the Law in Florida...

That's for:
Windshield / Front Side / Rear Side / Back Window

Florida
AS-1 / 28% Net / 15% Net / 15% Net / 198?

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front side doors must allow for 6 % Net light transmission.

Enforcement Note : Law enforced by the use of light meters and can apply to out-of-state motorist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Another source for Tint laws:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.

Front Side Windows.. Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side Windows... Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window............. Must allow more than 15% of light in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all .My windows are 5% too I live in Mo.it just makes my car look better .I thought about getting script for them before my luck runs out(knock on wood)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts