Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, granted, they aren't Bullitts, but these 2001-2002 GTs can be pretty darn quick! Feb. issue of MM&FF (page 61) shows a completely STOCK 2001 GT with only 1000 miles on the clock tripping the lights at 100.28MPH and a very impressive 13.738 seconds! Not too shabby, eh!?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I really think there is a marginal difference in performance between the Bullitt and GT. They are neck 'n neck 99.9% of the time. The driver makes more of a difference than the car in this case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
But WHY?

Bullitts have the ability to suck in and expel more air. It's there in black and white with the intake, throttle bodies, and Arvin mufflers.
More hp in lower ranges is not the answer to this question.
What is?
How could any of these three be a detriment?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I may be wrong, but wasn't it MM&FF that said that they tested a Bullitt and only got low 14's? Maybe we should consider the driver. Just a thought...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I also saw an article where a '01 GT could not break 6 seconds 0-60 on a 102 degree day and was in the high 14's in the quarter. The same article had the Bullitt beating the GT by about 3 tenths 0-60 and the quarter. I think we sometimes read too much into one road test. Every car is going to run slightly differently based on driver, track conditions, temperature, etc.... Sometimes you get lucky and have a motor that was built a little tighter than another. Production tolerances can vary quite a bit. I recall back in the early 90's reading that a stock 5.0 LX ran mid 13's. The article attributed it to an expecially strong motor or tweaking by the manuf., before test.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guys let me settle this one for ya. My buddy owns a 2000 gt.His mods are as follows.

1. Steeda three piece pulleys.
2. Steeda timing adjuster
3. Larger Mass air setup.
4. K N cold air kit.
5. Nitto drag radials.

I own a bonestock Bullitt with 2500 miles on it the only thing I have done is put on a set of Nitto drar radials. I have raced my friend at least 30-40 times. I live out in a area that has a road that is used for 1/4 mile racing it been there for years. Here is the race. From a dead stop. Both of us doing burnouts then launching about 4000-4500 rpm its pretty even. Then as soon as I hit third I pull on him a car to a car and a half. If we run from a rolling start same story Bullitt in third I will pull on him. If I go into fourth I pull even more. I traded in my 2001 Gt for the Bullitt. The regular Gts will start falling off power in third. The Bullitt with the better flowing intake has a better power band then the regular Gts. Both of us are very hard on our cars. Even know it has low miles its been down the 1/4 mile at least 75 times and has seen 145 mph more times then I care to write about. I have owned 7 late model mustangs and have worked for ford as a mechanic. The Bullitt flat out kicks ass for a production car. As far as MMFF I would not beleive a word they say as far as 1/4 miles times go. I have been reading there magazine since 1990. Basicially if they have a project car they post bogus 1/4 times. Stock for stock a Bullitt will beat a Gt.

Hope this helps

JIm

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have to agree that with the GT you get great bang for the buck, however the Bullitt will pull ahead most often. I remember that 5.0 article that put the Bullitt up there with the Cobra. Faster from 0-30 and only off by half a second down the road.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-08 13:26, Cupfan wrote:
But WHY?

Bullitts have the ability to suck in and expel more air. It's there in black and white with the intake, throttle bodies, and Arvin mufflers.
More hp in lower ranges is not the answer to this question.
What is?
How could any of these three be a detriment?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
They aren't a detriment, but they also may not be the bottleneck for airflow.

Why is it that aftermarket exhausts that worked so well on 5.0s are not worth much on 4.6s?

Why is it that larger throttle bodies on 5.0s worked so well and are not worth much on 4.6s?

Those aren't the bottlenecks in the air pump. The intake may have helped some, if nothing else it moved the powerband down some and broadened the curve.

I'll say it again, the performance difference between the 2 is marginal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, going the other way, if stock Bullitt's are dyno'ing at around 280 and the GT's really make what Ford claims, then I'd go so far as to say that 20 hp IS marginally different and should show up at the track.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The bottle neck in the Bullitt engine now lies with the cylinder heads,that's why the intake doesn't show that much gain,unless a blower is added. With the small bore,only so much valve size will fit in the 2 valve layout. Much larger and you get a shrouding problem with the side of the cylinder bore. They should have designed it with the bore and stroke of the 302......4 inch bore,3 inch stroke! The 4.6 has a bit more stroke than my 351W!!!I believe this was done more for emissions.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Also what gets me is the kind of power the Europeans are getting with smaller size engines and no blowers. They are using the 4 valve layout with variable cam timing and variable intake runner length.....that's where Ford needs to go for big power with small cubes!

·
Registered
173 Posts
In 20 years, look at what is on the road. Mark my words, I will still be driving my Bullitt past a junkyard full of 4 bangers that have given out. When these engines are used for street racing, and are turboed (ie the WRX) I have heard instances where they don't even last 2 years. I apologize, but I am not going for the euro, rice, 4 banger way anytime soon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
btw i gained 16rwhp from just an o/r h pipe so u can't say exhaust on a 4.6 dont do anything. The bullitt is marginally faster than a gt do to the better torque under the curve

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I was talking about the small size V8s of 4 to 5 Liters. I agree with you on going with a medium size,300-350 inch engine for torque. No matter the size it is all about airflow thru the heads!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2002-01-08 16:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-08 16:23, 99svt32v wrote:
btw i gained 16rwhp from just an o/r h pipe so u can't say exhaust on a 4.6 dont do anything. The bullitt is marginally faster than a gt do to the better torque under the curve
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Correct, but on the Bullitts only the mufflers were changed. The mufflers are not the bottelneck, the stock cats are.

Point to all this being that the Bullitts were a marketing Mustang, not an all'n'out performance Mustang. They are very comparable to GTs in the performance department.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bullitts were not built to be the end all performance Mustang. But when you look at the list of perfomance parts on the engine, suspension, tranny (3650), brakes, exaust, seats, etc. I beleive that the Bullitt has a great bang for the buck, and a there in lies THE significant difference between the GT and the Bullitt. When I bought the Bullitt, I drove an 01 GT right before, it did not hold up in cornering ability, poping your neck back with low end tourque, or shifting (and yea I know the GT eventually got the 3650). Not to mention the looks. All out balls out you will find that the Bullitt will edge out the GT just as the Cobra will edge out the Bullitt. Sure you will find exceptions but not many.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts