Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Just thought I'd share my observations on the GT500 big brake install and Koni shock upgrade.

First, the GT500 brakes are a true 'bolt on' upgrade. The instructions, while clear, aren't in the best sequence to make things as easy as they could be. Others have reported a 45 minute switch out....the first side took me about 2 hours and the second side took about 45 minutes. The biggest obstacle are the caliper bolts....they are ON THERE (probably 150 ft lbs plus threadlocker) and there's no way to get an impact gun on them. I had to use a breaker bar and ended jacking the car way up to be able to get any clearance. If you put it on a lift, it would be much easier.

For the shocks, I was way too beat to do the fronts so I've only put on the rears. I did it without removing the tires or jacking the car up. The trickiest part is preventing the stock shocks' rod from turning while you loosen the top. A vice grip solves this. Koni's directions leave a lot to be desired but a call to Sam Strano set me straight on placing the bushings in the right order. The new ones bolt up perfectly and unlike the stockers have a place to put a wrench on the shaft to allow you to tighten them up.

I bled the brakes and went on a road test with the Koni's set to full soft. For the brakes, there's quite a bit of pedal travel. I may have a bubble still stuck in there and will re-bleed them when I have the wheels off to do the front shocks. Even so, the thing stops tremendously.....straight, true, noiseless, and without a hint of fade during the recommeded 60-10 mph series of 10 simulated panic braking stops.

The shocks are just as impressive. Dialed in great right out of the box and at the softest setting I'd say they were just a shade stiffer than the stockers. I went over quite a bit of undulating and rough pavement and found them both taught and supple. I'll stiffen them up later and do some more testing.

On the downside, I was in a hurry to get a test drive in and got caught in a rain shower and had to drive through a puddle (the first time I've ever gotten it wet and I've had it since August). I was pretty sick about it and my son and I spent the next few hours with Wet Ones underneath the car and in the wheel wells. Oh well.

Hope you've found this useful. Have fun in your garage!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Very Cool!
Are you going to race your Bullitt on a road course ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No racing in my plans. You need the GT500 wheels/tires to clear for this brake kit.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
NickChildress<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1950437", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "Nick"

Nice write up and it very well may Alert others to what is going to take place if they decide to

go that route with theirs.

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
After a weekend on the track I found the stock brakes the weak point on the car. I'd like to upgrade the front brakes, but want to retain the Bullitt wheels, so if I'll have to look at some other alternatives. But since my track days won't happen that often I may just add the cooling ducts and switch to DOT 4 fluid before my next on-track foray.:dhg08:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
NickChildress said:
The shocks are just as impressive. Dialed in great right out of the box and at the softest setting I'd say they were just a shade stiffer than the stockers.
Hope you've found this useful. Have fun in your garage!
Thanx! I was wondering if the softest setting was near the stock feel. Let us know how the feel is when you add the fronts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts