Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I knew how this would turn out before i left my house but i gave it my best shot! My sisters BF wanted to see what my Bullitt could do (and so did i) So we hooked up somewhere in mexico:wink: for alittle heads up race.

He has a 06 GTO (6.0L) with a custom tune full exhaust (Headers,No cats and slp loud mouths) CAI and a few other mods. He put down 371 HP last summer when he dyno'ed it. My 08 Bullitt has the 3'' Magnaflow exhaust,Brenspeed tune and steeda underdrive pullies.

From a roll around 30 mph he couldnt pull on me and i couldnt loose him. That made me feel pretty good. From a light I bogged the Bullitt alittle too much (launched at 2,00rpm on stock tires) but still jumped out to a tiny lead but the big 6.0L ate me up. I was still impressed with how well i hung in there and that i have just started down the modding road so i think i still have plenty of performance i havent tapped into yet!!

This video is from a roll, I jumped on it alittle before him cause he was quite sure he was just going to drive past me! WRONG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXIs4SF5zvE

This was from a light... Like i said, bogged alittle too much but still did ok against a car packing alot more HP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QztBoDWrd30

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Let jymontoya or me have a shot at him.... hehe...

Those GOATS are no joke. If it wasn't for their incredibly bland styling (they look like pumped up grand am's), I would be interested in one. One of my buddies has a cammed 6.0 liter. Those LSx motors LOVE cams. He ran a 12.7 with it. ONLY mod was cams.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take him down for me guys! LOL!!! They are very fast for overgrown colbalts! LOL! maybe after a few more performance mods ill show him my tail lights!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Old saying comes to mind: There is no replacement for displacement. The 6.0L is bound to win against the 4.6L. I know it's (GTOs are) fat, but is it really that fat to let you think you can walk off from him? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No... I knew i wasnt going to pull of the david Vs. Goliath win in any way! I do think that even though i clearly was beat i take comfort in holding my own and not just getting destroyed

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Old saying comes to mind: There is no replacement for displacement. The 6.0L is bound to win against the 4.6L. I know it's (GTOs are) fat, but is it really that fat to let you think you can walk off from him? :rolleyes:
Right. I know our B's are lighter and much more nimble. But as long as GM & Chrysler keep dropping gargantuan gas guzzler motors in, our best shot is 'close but no cigar'. Its like some 6'4" weight lifter pickin' on my little ass.

Unless we get em on a 2 lane twister. Then I'll kick 'em where it hurts and outrun the big bastard! :lol:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had a little encounter with a 6.0 GTO a few weeks ago, (posted about it), with similar results. I could not tell if it was stock, but I kept up with him both times from a rolling start. The new Camaro SS is built on a similar platform, and the automatics have the same engine, so we are actually pretty close in performance. However, the 6 speed SS has another 25 or so hp, so we will be vulnerable. Especially next year when the aftermarket starts kicking out mods by the truckload for the Camaro. Long tubes, tuners, CAI, pullies and I'll bet those LS3'S will be picking up an easy 50hp.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
cdynaco said:
But as long as GM & Chrysler keep dropping gargantuan gas guzzler motors in, our best shot is 'close but no cigar'.
That's the thing though...I don't think they ARE gas guzzlers... They're big and they make good power, but I think they've squeezed pretty good fuel efficiency out of them...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
BahgeeraBullitt said:
That's the thing though...I don't think they ARE gas guzzlers... They're big and they make good power, but I think they've squeezed pretty good fuel efficiency out of them...
Agreed. They have improved for their size.

But I was comparing to the smaller 08/09 4.6 3V's. My best is 27 on cruise at 65-70 over a 2 hour level stretch that included a number of spirited passes around semi's.

If (when) fuel returns to $4+, the big blocks will pay dearly for their HP. And don't the SRT & big Camaro have a gas guzzler tax at the sticker like the GT500?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds as if you had a dancing partner. I had a little fun myself while passing a Chevy Cobalt. When I got beside him going into a turn heading out on the freeway he decided he wanted to speed up. That by the way is a pet peeve of mind. We were running approx. 70 mph so I dropped it into 4th and shot by with ease. He didn't seem to like that, I just smiled. Those cars are pretty quick especially the turbos considering how much they don't way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
StvMcQueen-
Just a little fun bud... Im sorry if somebody got mad at u about your vids. If IMBOC wants them down ill take them down. I just thought fellow gear heads with a mony car like mine might find them interesting. Its not like we were weaving in and out of traffic....

Sorry if ive put anyone off!

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,282 Posts
Rz79 said:
StvMcQueen-
Just a little fun bud... Im sorry if somebody got mad at u about your vids. If IMBOC wants them down ill take them down. I just thought fellow gear heads with a mony car like mine might find them interesting. Its not like we were weaving in and out of traffic....

Sorry if ive put anyone off!
You haven't. It was just a "flashback." You're cool. Carry on, and way to go! :clap2:

GTOs are very hot. Shame they made them look so blah. I'll take my Bullitt any day.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
cdynaco said:
Agreed. They have improved for their size.

But I was comparing to the smaller 08/09 4.6 3V's. My best is 27 on cruise at 65-70 over a 2 hour level stretch that included a number of spirited passes around semi's.

If (when) fuel returns to $4+, the big blocks will pay dearly for their HP. And don't the SRT & big Camaro have a gas guzzler tax at the sticker like the GT500?
Yeah, you're probably right...I just remember some Corvette ad saying they get 28 MPG or something...but I suppose even if that IS true, it has more to do with the weight of the 'vette, with its fiberglass body, lack of a spare tire and back seat and so on...

I've gotten 28 once on a long trip...was driving pretty conservatively though. I think about 26 is the norm for freeway driving for me...

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's a guy in my neck of the woods who installs squires turbos on the vettes. He has one at his shop that puts down over 700 hp at the wheels and gets 32mpg highway.:eek:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well I guess I stand corrected. I believe the Camaro and the Challenger come with 6 spds (I'm not sure about the Corvette) so maybe that is helping that hiway mileage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Run Against GTO's

Well done!- Nice video...You are are giving up a lot of Cubes and HP to these Vauxhall/Holdens... oops I mean Pontiac's...Just goes to show how efficient these Bullitts really are. I have driven against a couple of these and have been able to stay with them through midway through third gear, but then my weight advantage gives way to more HP...oh well...It is always fun to see their surprise reactions however.
:dhg08:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great vids, looks like that was an automatic GTO? I think that helped you a bit. I would not think that our cars could stay even with a 6 speed 400hp GTO. Maybe the 04 car as it had only 350 hp, but the LS2 is stout. And torquey.

Automatic GTOs had the gas guzzler tax. 6 speeds did not. And the LS1/2 motors with 6 speeds are great on the hiway for mpg. My C5 got 29-30 mpg hiway as the engine turned 1600 rpm doing 70 in 6th gear. :smile: But the average of 18-19 combined matches the Bullitt.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts