Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stock in making a decision:confused:... can anyone help. My Bullitt is my DD. I'm also working on getting 3.73's and JTL CAI. Currently only have the Predator & the KB suspension.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have x pipe with 2 cats (Bassani) and I am quite happy. Others prefer H pipe or O/R H pipe.

It's a really personal decision and the only way you can really make it without buying the wrong thing and changing again is to listen to someone's car with each of them and make your decision.

·
Registered
722 Posts
An X pipe is generally louder, and from what I've heard, is better for more high end power, whereas the H pipe is for more low end torque. I'm personally getting an X pipe, although that's once I have the cash for it :p.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like the h-pipe sound better then the x but thats me. Try looking on youtube for some Bullitt video clips thats what I did.

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
I have had both on 3230, and it really ends up as a personal preference choice.

For stock or mild modified engines, there really is no power advantage one over the other. The biggest difference is 'felt' in the sound difference. The H has a deeper, more resonant classic American muscle car sound, while the X creates a 'smoother', higher pitched, more European muscle car sound.

For more heavily modified engines there IS a significant power advantage of the X over the H in the higher RPM's, as the X flows better with less back pressure/turbulence. 3230 now has a 302 stroker @ 400hp, and Tim at MPH convinced me to change out my H for an X as it would give at least 10-15 additional HP for my particular engine. With my redline now at 7,500 RPM, the difference between the two pipes is huge from 5k rpm up.

Oh ya...and my X is an off-road X.....and yes...it's LOUD!!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The H-pipe will mimic the OEM's, only much louder, and the sound is dead-on with the movie. Mine were installed by Scott Hoag at MRT, and he has always stated these should have been on the '01's as OEM. If you go to www.mrt-direct.com and click on EXHAUSTS, you can see the prices and the different setup. You can call them and ask for Dan Garn. Dan can help you with any questions even if you don't order from MRT.

Confused yet? :grin:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've got an off road H on mine and yeah it's LOUD!
I wouldn't trade the sound for anything else but a passenger trying to talk on the phone just isn't gonna happen. lol

·
Car Whisperer
20,787 Posts
Got the MRT catted H on mine..I Like it. Like the old muscle car sound better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! I didn't expect these many responses. Thank you guys, I can definably feel the Bullitthead luv. (That's sounded corny).

01668 will not be heavenly modded, at leats not for now :)

I've been leaning more towards the o/r h-pipe, since I think it is better for low-end torque, and I don't plan on running from the police anything soon... I hope. :)

Thanks you once again.

Now... my next question is... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE MONEY FROM??? LOL

No, seriously, does anyone have any suggestions on brand names for an o/r h-pipe???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What about a BBK o/r h-pipe? Has anyone had any problems with this brand? I talked to the local shop and they can get me one for $149 and installed for $50 more. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
KennyBrownBullitt1668 said:
What about a BBK o/r h-pipe? Has anyone had any problems with this brand? I talked to the local shop and they can get me one for $149 and installed for $50 more. Is this a good deal?
Just my 2 cents...
I installed the BBK o/r X pipe on my other wise stock Bullitt. The result was a VERY significant resonance at 1600-1800 rpm. It was embarrassing to drive. I then tried installing a set of Flow Master 50 Series mufflers to see if that changed the sound. It helped about 20% if I were to try to quantify it. It was still embarrassing to drive, so I re-installed the factory mid pipe for now. I am thinking about having 2 glass pack resonators welded into the X pipe to see if that helps teh sound enough for me to drive around town.

I guess my point is that I have heard that the BBK X pipe sounds different than most of the others. If I were doing it again, I would try a different manufacturer. I do however think that the quality of the BBK pipe is quite good, but the sound may be different than you want.

I would love to hear from some others that have installed the BBK o/r X pipe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Have the H-Pipe. I still have the stock Cat back so it sounds Bullitt only louder.
Same here, o/r H with stock mufflers...it sounds almost dead on the movie car and gets tons of compliments!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I have the bassani catted x-pipe with stock cat back. I'm very happy with the sound. Not too loud for daily driving, but sounds good when you stomp on it. I guess if you wanted a bit more rumble you could go with the MRT H-pipe. Unless you want a really loud sound I'd keep the stock mufflers with your setup. They flow very well.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I have the bassani catted X pipe with mac 2 and 1/2 inch system, nice sound gets lots of comps. Had BBK o/r X with stock system and it sounded like an old chevy pickup w/o mufflers, did not like at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had ordered a BBK one a couple of days ago... but the shop I ordered from got the wrong one... so now they are going to get me a Headman H-Pipe ( the long one this time I hope). It kinda turned out good even thought I have to wait, cuz I was changing my mind about the BBK. I'll post a new video on youtube.com once I get it installed. Probably late next week.

Has any one had any experience with a Headman o/r h-pipe???

·
Registered
372 Posts
H-pipe + chambered mufflers (ie Flowmaster/MAC)=badazz(+)interior noise

X-pipe + staight through design (Magnaflow/Borla)=badazz(-)interior noise/2

X + chambered = crap.

H + straight through = blah

I've done this equation alot and busted mucho knuckles trying to get the right sound (ie stupid pass. side header-to-manifold)

If you want the old school small block Ford sound(which I much prefer) go w/ the h-pipe and the chambered mufflers.

Checkout mustangexhaust.com. Tons of great .wav files for one to listen to and decide.

Oh yeah, whatever you decide.....definitely purchase a Ford pass. side copper gasket...they are like 20 bucks...but they last a long time. MAC gives you some crap paper gasket that lasts like 15K at best....Other than that...the MAC is great IMO..it's in 3 pieces and makes an install SO much easier.

Go w/ the sound you like...granted you'll make more HP w/ an x-pipe...but seriously, who cares? 2Hp is nothing to me. If you smile when your car starts in the AM and you can pizz off your neighbors....you made the right choice.

Okay, I've been drinking too much tonight and getting wordy! :confused: Good luck yo!

OH! And NEVER, I mean NEVER use BBK....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts