Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a place for either,and I prefer straight,no crossover, for my '85 LX!
My system may have been too much scavenging,with a 3 inch Flowmaster Scavenge D mid pipe,which is like a H-pipe without the center tube,just the two pipes butted together with a 1 X 3 inch port.
I was looking for some distinction to the sound. After making a internal block off plate,which is removable,to isolate the two pipes, I got the sound I was after.
A nice growl and rumble,like a side piped Cobra roadster!
Yeah I may loose a couple of HP at top,but the sound is with you all the time!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The best sounding exhaust is with no h or x. I have that set up on my 78 mustang II with steel packs dumped out before the rear end sounds great. But if you want that ragged sound when you let off the gas you will want 2 dynomax 12inch race bullitt mufflers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very cool idea, I have x-pipes on both my mustangs and they produce a smoother sound being merged. I you dont mind losing a few horsepower and want the old school muscle car sound, your approach is the way to go. Again, very cool. How bout a sound clip?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, just one of my many wild ideas! I used to have a motorized X-pipe setup, that would swing a baffle open for "X" flow and closed for more of a restricted "H" flow.
Worked great until the motor burned out!
If I want to go back to the original flow design,I now just remove the bottom plate(four screws) and replace with a blank plate,leaving the flow window open.
Then there is my one of none Air Valve Secondary flow door for a Holley 4bbl. similar to the setup on the Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb. Best of both worlds!! Bolts onto the top of a Holley DP carb with a conventional milled choke tower!
As far as exhaust sound clips,I might give it a shot on Youtube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts