Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not recommending any of you Bullitt owners out there drive over the speed limit! I'm not looking forward to reading a Bullitt owner was killed in his/hers Bullitt!

This is the last time i will drive over 75 mph on public roads!!!

I opened up my Bullitt tonight on I75 i had plenty of road i had in up to 150 mph and the car was STILL pulling!

The car was rock solid at 150.I was not! AGAIN i don't recommending ANYONE driving that fast on a public road! I sure won't anymore!

GSCA #3535
BCA #36858
2001 BULLITT #1042 DHG
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Conv. 4 Speed
1965 Bucik Skylark Gran Sport Conv. Auto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT #1042 (Ray Ackerman) on 2001-08-14 22:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
360 Posts
Still quivering? I don't know if I'd have the nerve, Ray. (It's cool tho too)

1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-14 22:07, Bullittgirl wrote:
Still quivering? I don't know if I'd have the nerve, Ray. (It's cool tho too)

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The part that has me quivering is,I pass a couple of cars at 150 mph. I past them like they were standing still! Most people drive anywere from 70 to 90 mph on I75. I flashed my lights as i was coming up on them.I look back know if one of them changed lines........ You know the rest!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
So how far back was that black 1968 Charger !! That is flying. Back in '70 My brother and I had his '70 Hemicuda up around 135,with 4.10 gear,and tall Firestone stock car tires on the rear. Remember no OD back then. It was moving all over the two lanes on I-95 !! This was at 2 in the morning of course!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-14 22:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
94 Posts
WOW! Whatever were your thinking (heh heh). What a story. You definitely spooked me a bit.

1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-14 22:26, Mus408 wrote:
So how far back was that black 1968 Charger !! That is flying. Back in '70 My brother and I had his '70 Hemicuda up around 135,with 4.10 gear,and tall Firestone stock car tires on the rear. Remember no OD back then. It was moving all over the two lanes on I-95 !! This was at 2 in the morning of course!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-14 22:27 ]</font>
At that speed everything look like a black charger!
I have pinned my 65 GS conv. with the top down at 120 mph... I think I should keep it arould 75 as top speed for now on,I'm saving for retirement i would like to be around to spend it... :-B

1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2001-08-14 22:34, jdtarch wrote:
WOW! Whatever were your thinking (heh heh). What a story. You definitely spooked me a bit.

I had a need for speed.... :-B

OH by the way.... Be careful with your sig, Working on your side of the street has a different meaning TODAY.. :-B Not everyone seen the movie....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well Ray, having been on the other side of that equation before, the car doing the passing also looks like a Black Charger.

I got passed by a modified Mustang GT a couple of months back. I was doing 75 in my Expedition and he was doing 130 or so. I know that because the second "black charger" that passed me was a buddy of mine who is a police officer. He said he clocked the guy at around 130..... and promptly fitted the 19-year old driver with a set of bracelets.

Once I get comfortable with the transition back to a rear wheel drive car with serious power (I've been driving an Integra GS-R for the last 6 years), I plan on taking my Bullitt to Summit Point race track in West-By-God-Virginia to satisfy my need for speed. It's less than 2 hours from my house and has a driving school operating there full time.

150 mph..... damn, that's fast, but it's kinda cool that the car can do it :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had mine up to 120 three times so far but ran out of "safe" road. It was still picking up speed quickly but I refuse to trust anyone to not change lanes right at the last minute or do something else stupid: Man on phone "is my grandfather there" Me "who's you grandfather?" "he's in visiting my grandmother (so and so)" Me "Oh yah here's here" Man on phone "oh god, I can't believe he found the car keys" Me "you mean HE drove here!" This actually happened to me. I'm a nurse, I work at a nursing home. The man in question didn't even know what month it was. He just knew the way to "the place" where his wife was. He didn't realize it was a nursing home and didn't know why we were keeping his wife! My road was clear of traffic and speed traps. When I catch up to the traffic I "slow" down. You never know who's on the road!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Forgetting about the speeding-ticket-arrest-scariness, and even the other-car-scariness, the two times I've licked 130 (and I've only just licked it) have been sweaty palm moments.
I'd honestly like to see 150 just to say I did. However, I seriously doubt that is going to happen anywhere in my area. There's just NO place I'd feel comfortable doing that kind of speed. Even 130 was foolhardy by some definitions. It was fun, though!
As I've said before, over 110 mph, and it sure seems like the car wants to float right up off the pavement. Just a little too unsettling!

Cool that you saw 150, though!

Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
okay, 150 mph that's good. last week going to Bullhead City, Arizona I took my #305 to 135 mph and it was rock solid. I started to catch up to the slow moving cars and slowdown but just think if I got busted going that fast CHP would lock me up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Ray...got mine up to 134mph but had to slow down for upcomming traffic a few weeks back...SR528 west bound(Beeline). Solid as a rock!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i havent really got to open up #0642 yet.. just a few times at the 1/4' track and out racing some friends...

but when i was 16, i had a 93' Cobra. I can tell you the speedo stopped @ 140, and i had the car pull an extra 1000 rpms on a few occasions. God bless texas and the open streches of roads! :smile:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Last week heading to work I merged onto the freeway and saw a red C5 Corvette coming up fast behind me, so I sped up to 90mph as he eased next to me.

I look over and see the rear brake duct indicating Z06 and knew I was gonna get killed by his 385hp, but I wanted to see the Z06 in action.

We both nail it to the floor from 90, and by the time I hit 135 he was about a 1/4 mile ahead of me pulling like I was standing still. I'd guess him at 160. Had too many cars on the road for my comfort and I had been beaten badly anyway, so I slowed down even though I was still accelerating at 135. I'm guessing that I could get about 145 out of my GT, but no more.

Ray, awhile back I had a GM A-body (like you), but mine was a '68 GTO. I prepped it for drag racing with 3.90 gears so that it topped out at 106mph at redline in top gear. For fun, I put in some 2.56 gears and found a long empty stretch of interstate and made it safely to 160 before I ran out of room. 170 should have been possible with my GTO's 425hp and lowered aftermarket suspension.

I've been pulled over twice in my life while driving over 100mph. First time was in 1984 doing 102 in my Mach 1, but only had to pay $70 and get a lecture. Last time wasn't pretty because I wrecked my '89 5.0 LX horribly and almost went to jail after taking a freeway exit at 110 in the rain.

Please be safe out there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Living in Los Angeles, I often make the quick run to Vegas (usually just under four hours from door to door). The back route I take winds me up on Old Highway 58 which was just resurfaced. In some places it is a four lane, divided wide open tarmac with plenty of straightaway, good visibility, and light traffic. After I had Bullitt #140 for about a month, I finally got to make this drive and strech her legs a bit. A red six banger Mustang came up on me at about 100, thinking that was probably all the speed in the world. Well, as usual my right foot took over for my brain, I dropped the hammer and before I knew it I was moving comfortably in the low 140's for what seemed like 5 minutes but was probably more like 10 seconds before I chickened out and dropped back to my cruising speed on this road, about 90. The red Stang eventually caught up again, but I don't think it was quite the same for him this time. Regardless, it was a real thrill. I have never gone that fast in something with four wheels on the ground. Nice to know the Bullitt can handle it with little effort.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No question, anything over 110 is sweaty palm territory. I live in Los Angeles and there's no way to stretch her legs unless driving after 2am.

However...There's this place off the 14 by Palmdale, 2 hours from where I live. 145 Ladies and Gents. I pussed out, afraid to push century and a half. 150 was a mental barrier that I will soon overcome next time.

But let me say this...She moved as easily from 90-145 as she does 0-60. Do you just love this car or what?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have not had my Bullitt over 75 mph yet with ~3000 miles on it. BTW any thoughts on "breaking in" the 4.6? I changed the oil @ 500 miles and just had it done again. Didn't take it over 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles, still haven't taken it over 5000 rpm. Also varied the speed. Also not beating the tranny. All of this is very difficult given the cars common on the streets in Austin.

Well it's great to to live vicariously through Ray's experience. Just 1 question, what did the Tach read?

I rebuilt a '77 Datsun 280z and had it out in Montana on a trip. Tach'd it out at 135, it was still pulling. Yes, a little unnerving having the engine @ 7000 rpm and the wheels at 135. I slowed down to a more comfortable 100 for most of the state.
(BTW $5 fine for fuel economy in those days if I got caught @ 100. I'm sure 135 would be a different story)

It's nice to have that out of my system. Been there, done that. Thanks to Ray, I don't have to find out what the Bullitt will do...

Love the acceleration and don't forget that sound...

Some days I drive into work with the stereo off and the windows down just listening...

Life in a Bullitt...

1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2001-08-24 09:11, AxeMan wrote:
Have not had my Bullitt over 75 mph yet with ~3000 miles on it. BTW any thoughts on "breaking in" the 4.6? I changed the oil @ 500 miles and just had it done again. Didn't take it over 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles, still haven't taken it over 5000 rpm. Also varied the speed. Also not beating the tranny. All of this is very difficult given the cars common on the streets in Austin.

Well it's great to to live vicariously through Ray's experience. Just 1 question, what did the Tach read?

I rebuilt a '77 Datsun 280z and had it out in Montana on a trip. Tach'd it out at 135, it was still pulling. Yes, a little unnerving having the engine @ 7000 rpm and the wheels at 135. I slowed down to a more comfortable 100 for most of the state.
(BTW $5 fine for fuel economy in those days if I got caught @ 100. I'm sure 135 would be a different story)

It's nice to have that out of my system. Been there, done that. Thanks to Ray, I don't have to find out what the Bullitt will do...

Love the acceleration and don't forget that sound...

Some days I drive into work with the stereo off and the windows down just listening...

Life in a Bullitt...

A friend asked me the same thing about the RPMs at 150. I didn't think to check it at that time. My two hands was glued to the wheel and my eyes was on the read and ever few seconds i would look at the speedometor.

I'll never know!!!!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
geeee I must be doing something wrong or something's not right with dhg# 1994...( although it is 100% stock/no mods ) I had the unique opportunity recently to drive her at a local speedway , no one else there on the track at the time , I couldn't get her past 145 no-matter how I kept my foot in her.. I didnt look at the tach either,, but that brings up another question... when ford attaches their computer to diagnose problems can they tell the top speed? I didn't over reva t all...normal shifting to 5k then just stayed in it

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have had mine to 143 mph and it was still climbing but I was rapidly running out of roadway. I have since added a Densecharger and chip. Haven't had the opportunity to give it go again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts