Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hailed while I was at work. I wanted to leave and protect my car but couldn't. Now I noticed small chips in the clear-coat. Can this be buffed? I have to take the car in for a warranty rear quarter panel paint and thought maybe they could buff the car while it was there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if there are chips in the clearcoat I don't think thay can buff that out. Sounds like an insurance paint job to me.
jmho

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's almost like small dots or bubbles in the clearcoat. It's kind of strange. The clearcoat is still there but it looks like specs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What you could try. Get a small amout of 3M hand glaze compound. This is sold at most auto paint and supply places. It is perfect tpo remove swirl marks. Put a small amount on a spot. Use a cotton baby diaper for example. Rub with your hand hard over this spot till it gets warm. The compound will not harm your car. Most body shops use it to remove swirls. If this fixes a spot you are good to go. If it doesn't Big paint job.

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
586 Posts
4849, I think you actually got lucky. If there are no dents, count your blessings. The clear coat can be buffed down to the bare base coat if it has to be. Then you can have just the clear coat reapplied. It's actually possible that if the clear coat is redone well, that you'll be even better than new. The orange-peel that we all suffer could actually be corrected in your case. That's OK!

The 3M Swirl Mark Remover probably won't cut it by hand. You may need an orbital polisher. It may just make more sense to get the best pro-restorer in your area to do it.

One other excellent source of advice can be found here, at this detailers' forum:
http://216.147.22.29/forum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=3
Good luck. I think that with no dents, you're going to come out of this very well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise. I think I was just freakin. It's only noticed if you stick your face to the hood and look for it. You know how it is. It's your car!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well, I'm sure I'd freak, too! Yesterday I was cruising through a heavily forested backroad enjoying the fall colors and got absolutely wailed on by something that hit the center of my roof. I figured some psycho squirrel dropped a walnut from about 60' up. It sounded like a stone and resonated across the whole roof. I was certain that my next detail touch-up or dentless repair was in my stars right then and there. And I had just finished waxing!

I must admit that it took some of the enjoyment out of the ride and I had to wait about another 20 miles before my wife and I reached our destination to assess the damage.

Somehow I lucked out. Looked at the roof, looked at my wife and said, "OK, I'm happy again!" Later, I was able to wax it out without a trace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts