Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the handheld tuners such as the Diablo Sport, Predator, Granatelli, etc. worth the price. I have heard they are not and only a good dyno tune is worth the money. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
In stock form, my car gets about 14 mpg. With the Predator tune in either "Factory HP tune" where I run 87 or "Performance Tune" where I have to run 91 and get a good deal of low end ooomph, it gets around 18 mpg. Its worth it to me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
i think its worth it if you use it. if its a once and a while thing then i wouldn't recomend it. i haven't used mine in a while because gas prices got way to high for me to afford the gas really. but gas has gone down almost a whole dollar so im going to put it back on. i have a predator.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have to say that it's been extremely worth it to me. Under the original tune, I was getting about 220-230 miles to a tank, now I'm running 260-280 and well over 300 on the highway. I think the HP was a slight increase.

However... If you have a laptop, a handheld tuner with the right software to read data real time is PRICELESS!! Not that I've have to "watch" the Bullitt, but I've used it to diagnose my Fiance's 01 GT with a misfire condition. I've used it on a friend's 02 GT to watch a fuel problem. I've used it to record live data for me racing both drag and autocross.

However, it's what you make of it. I only paid $200 for mine, and I planned on getting my use out of it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It all depends on what you have on your car. If u have just a cold air kit then yes. If u have a S/C then no unless u have a dyno tune programed in it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I had it and I liked it but you have to use premium gas. I felt a definite increase in power and my engine was mostly stock. If you add much more than a cold air intake, you then need a custom chip. I don't have it in my new Mustang because it has plenty of power stock plus I don't want to spend the money one premium gas. The Ford Power Pack is nothing more than a cold air intake and reflashing the computer. You can do the same thing yourself for a lot less money.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a predator and an sct. The predator is for sale for $250 with shipping if anyone wants it. Pm me

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doc Coffin said:
In stock form, my car gets about 14 mpg. With the Predator tune in either "Factory HP tune" where I run 87 or "Performance Tune" where I have to run 91 and get a good deal of low end ooomph, it gets around 18 mpg. Its worth it to me.
14mpg....that is the worst gas mileage i have ever heard on a bullitt/gt. I average around 19mpg each tank and thats still romping on it every now and then and stuff.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have the SCT2 and 3 Mustang Dyno Tunes in it. 91 SAFE, 93 SAFE and 93 RACE.

I only change from 93 SAFE to 91 SAFE when I cannot get 93 (such as Oklahoma).

I doubt that I will ever use the 93 RACE, but it is there and available for 93 + TORCO Race Additive if I ever go to the Track.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
hockeyplayerhere said:
14mpg....that is the worst gas mileage i have ever heard on a bullitt/gt. I average around 19mpg each tank and thats still romping on it every now and then and stuff.
I keep hearing that from the folks that get good mileage (both of you) but, it is on a par with a large number of other Bullitts. 03378 has been diagnosed, gone over with a fine tooth comb and re-flashed by Ford and there is nothing anyone can find wrong with her. Before the re-flash the average was closer to 11 mpg. The Predator gets me up to around 18 and I got 30 on a trip to Northern California. I DO have a very heavy right foot.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have an SCT Xcal2. I had my car tuned with it after I did all my mods, longtubes, o/r x-pipe, and JLT. It is tuned with the 93 octane tune. The car responds so much better since the tune, it's like night and day.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. 3321 is stock except for a cold air kit I put on this summer. I guess all I want is a little better performance. So right now I can't see buying a handheld tuner if I am only going to use it once or twice. Have any of you changed your COPS? And it you have, at what mileage and what kind did you replace them with?

·
Registered
771 Posts
To take it a step further...

I am unsure about anything other than the Predators, but the Predators can be tuned to run 87 Octane.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts