Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I without knowing, took my yellow bath towels that I have used for 15 years on my other cars. I used it on new Black Mustang to dry it. After about 10 times washing and whipping my car down I had thousands on very fine scratches. I was upset! I found out that is normal because of the nylon threads in the towels
Now I am on a mission , I also had scratches in my door area ,and the car has less the 1500 mile on it :(
I did my resource and on power buffers and found out the pro and cons about buffers.
I decided on the 7424 porter cable . I was going to practice on my other cars but decided to do my Mustang first.
What I have read is start with the least aggressive polish and keep on going more aggressive tell you get the results. I stopped at the Zaino's Bros. PC . The car looks beautiful now! No Swells and no scratches! From now on it's only going to be Micro fiber towels for drying!
The things I have read about the 7424 Is It doesn't do the job of a rotary buffer but it is very safe to use. I had no trouble using it on my Mustang, being my first car I have ever done. REMEMBER never stop the buffer moving side to side!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nice! I just got a DA buffer (meguiars) and some other stuff to take the LIGHT swirling out of my new 01's paint. I only ever use microfiber on my cars for anything. :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Only ever use white 100% cotton towels if you are going to use towels. Don't buy cheap ones. Costco has some great towels for this, but not in the automotive section.
If you are worried about the thread that sews up the end seams remove the thread.
100% cotton towels are great for polishing a after waxing.

(that's not so say Microfibre isn't good, but there can be problems with cheap Microfibre too, and I've been told that Microfibre towels can remove wax from the surface if using them with Quick detailer or just 'polishing'.)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The less you touch black the better. wash and rinse your car, then blow dry it with a leaf blower. I don't even wash my bullitt anymore. It sits in the garage so I only really ever have to QD it and polish out any swirls that find their way on there.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Try the Mr Clean car washing system with the spotless filter for the final rinse.works pretty well and eliminates some of that touching too much on black cars.

·
Registered
803 Posts
RCSignals said:
Only ever use white 100% cotton towels if you are going to use towels. Don't buy cheap ones. Costco has some great towels for this, but not in the automotive section.
If you are worried about the thread that sews up the end seams remove the thread.
100% cotton towels are great for polishing a after waxing.

(that's not so say Microfibre isn't good, but there can be problems with cheap Microfibre too, and I've been told that Microfibre towels can remove wax from the surface if using them with Quick detailer or just 'polishing'.)
I've never heard any evidence to back up the claims that it removes wax. Good microfiber will do the job as long as its clean. I've never heard of it hurting anything.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That buffer is awesome and you will be happy with it for along time. Costco and Sams both have a good set of microfiber towels for little to nothing. The leaf blower is a great way to dry your car, just don't do it in the direct sunlight..have noticed that it still leaves water spots when the car is really hot. The Mr.Clean system is great just for the DI water and that comes in handy to get all the water spots off and dry your car. Good luck with your new products and hope all works well in the future....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.