Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a problem today...it took about 3mins of cranking to get the bullit to start. After it finally decided to come to life, I smelled fuel. Every time I've tried to start her since then it takes a few times (sometimes many times) to kick over and it always smells like fuel on ignition. The only things I can think of are:

A) Bad spark plug - at 75K mi I think the original plugs are still in. I was getting ready to change them anyway over x-mas break and put in NGK iridium plugs

B) Bad coil - maybe a coil misfire? When I first posted on imboc, somebody checked my carfax and it was taken in under warranty for coil missfire w/30K mi. Upon inspection of the coils, looks like 6 are the motorcraft coils (green stickers) and two are another brand/replacement (white stickers). I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

Like I mentioned I'm getting ready to do plugs/coils over break, but I'm wondering if this maybe something more serious? I've never changed the coils/plugs in these modular motors before so I can't be sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Typical Bullitt. For real.

Next time it does that put your foot to the floor and turn her over. She'll fire right up.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Sorry Brad, I am Fuel Injected Challenged...

I would think the same thing, but would drive it over to Auto Zone or other parts store you might have and see if they could put the analyzer on it and see if it's spitting out any codes first off. If it's either the plugs or the coil packs I am sure that will show up. If it's something else, that will also give you a heads up direction and a list of things to check out. Beats just replacing parts at random...

My first guess would be a sensor, but remember. I am Challenged!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steelfalcon29 said:
Typical Bullitt. For real.

Next time it does that put your foot to the floor and turn her over. She'll fire right up.
To a point yes, but this goes beyond the normal 'vapor lock' routine where it takes a couple of cranks to fire...it's almost like one of the cylnders isn't firing, causing it to flood. That's what my instinct tells me anyways. I'll be pulling the plugs and coils soon so I guess I'll find out. I'm just afraid that all the cranking is going to fry the starter motor

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I thought that vapor lock was only after it has been driven a short distance and then started again. I.e. quick trip to the store, then it is hard to turn over again. Do you have a cold start problem? Or is it every time? I am thinking that a bad coil wouldn't necessarily affect the starting, but the idling. Wouldn't hurt to change the spark plugs, I am a big believer in tuning up when something is funky...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MustangMarkus said:
I thought that vapor lock was only after it has been driven a short distance and then started again. I.e. quick trip to the store, then it is hard to turn over again. Do you have a cold start problem? Or is it every time? I am thinking that a bad coil wouldn't necessarily affect the starting, but the idling. Wouldn't hurt to change the spark plugs, I am a big believer in tuning up when something is funky...
Not necessarily, she's garage kept and this happened both when it was sitting outside all day and after sitting for an extended period of time in the garage (our garage is pretty well insulated too). So I think I can eliminate temperature from the causes. I also just put a new battery in about two weeks ago and she's got plenty of juice. I always turn the ignition on and wait about five seconds to charge the fuel rails before I crank, but it still has a problem.

Come to think of it, I've been noticing a bit of noise around 5K+ rpm. Sounds to me like maybe an arc or misfire of some sort. Just to be sure I'm going to pull everything and take a look-see. I'll be sure to post pics of the plugs and my findings

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
"Vapor lock" is when the fuel actually boils in the carb/fuel rail, and becomes "not liquid" any more, so no real fuel enters the combustion chamber = too lean to support combustion. Seldom happens with F.I. (but it's not impossible). Usually only after the engine is hot. Less likely at this time of year.

I'm leaning toward one of a couple of things here:

Bad plugs/coils/ignition.

Bad fuel pump (not pumping enough, or not building enough pressure to reliably atomise the fuel coming from the injectors)

Bad fuel-pressure regulator - same problem as the bad pump.

If there's a schrader valve on the fuel rail, stick a gauge on it and make sure the base-pressure is correct. Also, make certain it doesn't "bleed off" all the pressure when the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Does this poor starting happen at any time, or only when the car has been left standing for a long period. Could be fuel injectors leaking causing the engine to flood, so takes alot of cranking to flush it through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts