Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks, I have had some difficult time starting the engine. When I normally start the engine, it cranks over for about 1 second and then starts right up. But now, about once and a while, when I do the normal start up, It doesn't seem to have enough crank to actually start the engine. So I have to crank it for about two seconds and give it a little gas to start up. The only thing that I have done to my car is the oil change, which I did a few weeks ago. The oil I used is Mobile 1 10W-30 Synthetic. Has anybody else experienced any delay starting in their car?

DHG #1785
Stock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: runningforyou on 2001-11-26 09:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Runningforyou

I have been experiencing the same thing. We have had a couple of cold mornings in phillly and on a couple of occasions I have had to crank the car for 3 or so seconds. Normally my car starts in 1 second usually as soon as I start cranking. I noticed that when I stopped cranking and tried again it started immediatly

Steve

·
Registered
73 Posts
I too have had a difficult time getting the engine to turn over (maybe 6 times in 6 months). That may not seem like much, but ever since I stopped driving used sh** boxes (way back in 1991), I've never had a car that did not fire right up all the time. It seems as though the problem only occurs when the engine is warm. Generally, the engine fires up after no more than a second after I turn the key. Sometimes, however, the engines does not turn over. At this point when I make my second attempt, it cranks for 5 or 6 seconds before it turns over. I have never had this experience when the engine is cold.

Anyone seen the dealer about this?

Regards,
Dfresh (DHG 294)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto the hard start when warm. Doesn't happen often, but is strange nonetheless. I thought the first few times I had touched the gas before turning key. It always fires right up when cold. Seems to happen immediately after I fill up, but I will have to keep an eye out on that.

Don

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Sometimes the fuel system bleeds off a little, thus creating an air pocket.

Try turning the key to just the on position for a couple seconds and let the fuel pump recharge the line, then crank it.

You shouldn't step down on the gas pedal while cranking because it can, but not always, cause it to backfire through the intake.

This little tidbit of advice usually clears up hard starts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I HAVE NOTICED THE HARD CRANKING JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO I WORK FOR A FORD DEALER HERE IN NY SO IM GONNA CALL FORD DIRECTLY AND FINDOUT WHAT I CAN DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

CRAIG
1767 D/K GREEN

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CR01BULLITT on 2001-11-21 17:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
I suspect it's a problem with the dead end fuel rail on these cars. Probably, the rail is depressurizing and it's taking a sec or 2 to get the system pressurized up again.

Brian

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info 1NastyFordGt and FordBullitt. Thought it probably wasn't anything major, but just wanted some reassurance. I try getting into a habit of turning the key to the "ON" position for a second or two before starting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cold always catches immediately.

Hot OTOH... almost seems like it is running just enough to keep up with the starter but not enough to actually keep running without the starter. It seems as though a goose of the throttle takes care of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts