Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard this before, but always on the same stretch of road and always at the same speed, so I figured it was just the tires with that part of the road. Yesterday I heard/felt it on another road, and did a little experimenting just to see if I could remove a few possibilities.

The sound is a mid-pitched hum. I feel it's frequency vibrating through the shifter handle. I started hearing it in third gear while holding a steady 2000RPM. I put the clutch in and coasted in gear, the sound didn't stop. I took it out of gear, still with the clutch in, and it didn't stop. With it out of gear, I let the clutch up, and it didn't stop.

Something somewhere is resonating. Is this the transmission whistle I've seen some of you talking about, or something else?

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
NPF,(No Problem Found) I just wanted to say it before the dealer did.

driveshaft, rearend, transmission,
They are all turning when its rolling.
I know I got rid of quit a bit of noise when I put the AL driveshaft in. Months later took the harmonic balancer off the rear and could not tell a difference so I left it off.

Guess you could take the weight off and see if the noise is worse. If it were worse I would think that would point to rear end or driveshaft. If it stayed the same then it is probably in the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts