Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Interesting article...However, obviously the guy didn't know what he was talking about. How long did it take Ford to sell all these beasts? I guess a few of us like them. But then again why would you pay attention to someone from a financial magazine critiquing a car. Just about as much as I would listen to anyone from Motor Trend talking about mutual funds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love it when guys like this JUST DON'T GET IT!

...and do we Bullitt fans really even WANT guys like this to get it??

Hey Forbes guy, hurry...they're towing away your BMW!

:smile:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think this guy just doesn't like Fords or Mustangs...period. The tone of his article makes me think there's more behind his rhetoric than the words in his column.

He does say some nice things about the car, but it is clear that he just doesn't understand what it is that folks like us find appealing about the car.

One things is for sure, I don't fit his profile of who would buy the car. I'm 35 which means I was 2 when Bullitt his the screens in 1968. :smile:

Frankly, I can care less about the movie (although I did by the DVD) :smile:, its the car (the 2001 edition) that I think kicks butt!

#4366, DHG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittMike on 2001-11-29 00:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Look, a high precentage of people in the arts and journalism have a geek streak to start with. He talks about how great the WRX is, and frankly I felt that the WRX handled good but overall it was just another turdy dinky rice wagon that depends on something other than cubes to go. It lags and sounds like the hamster is going to die any second. Its an okay car, but a V8 kind of guy is not going to go for one. He is not a V8 guy, hell...he mentions one of the biggest italian turd cars ever in the same line of text as the term muscle car. Sure Alfa's could handle, if you could keep it running. To me he is not even worth sending an email to just like the couple that gave the car a bad review. Let him live in his suit world, as someone already pointed out he is reviewing cars for Forbes. BTW, what BMW could he be talking about...the Z8 :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BullittMike,
I agree, you can tell right from the beginning that the review wasn't going to be objective. I too am 35 and think the car is perfect for city and country driving. Actually the car is my wife's, and she's in love with it. She's always wanted a Mustang, especially the older models, however she was hooked when she first spotted the Bullitt.

(oh, and the comments I get from the 7 to 14 year olds is unbelieveable...I live in a residential area with a lot of kids and everytime we pull up you can hear the ooooh's and the ahhhhhh's...the number one quote: "That's the car I want when I grow up"...sounds to me like we'll have some people to sell them to years down the road) I've done my part and gave several of the neighbor kids a ride in the Bullitt...they're hooked!

Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Obviously a man who is not familiar with the term "American Musclecar". Everything there is to love about these cars was completely missed in his article. Someone is given the power of the media and then does a half baked review because he has no objectivity. Made up his mind before he turned the key. Too bad. He missed an opportunity to review a great car. There is one in every crowd. His love for foreign cars is reflected by the amount of vintage foreign car clubs that there are around.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Guys and Gals

I couldn't resist e-mail this turd. This is what I sent.

Mr. Frank

Let me start off by stating that I purchased a Mustang Bullitt.

Now I test drove a Regular Mustang GT, a Cobra, a Firebird and your hallowed WRX. I will argee that the Regular Mustang GT's seats really suck. The Bullitt's seats are the same seats found in the Cobra just with another seat stitching pattern. The Seats in the Bullitt are the best seats ever put into a Mustang that I drove period. I wish you would have mentioned that in your article. As far as performance which is what the Mustang is known for it was a happy medium for me. The Ram-Air Firebird was by far the fastest of of the cars I test drove but I could not live with driving on my kidneys everyday. The WRX had comfortable seats but not as comfortable as the Bullitt or the Cobra which are essentially the same seat. The WRX I test drove was simply weak compared with the Mustang Bullitt at launch unless I dumped the clutch on the WRX at like 4000 RPM's. Now I am sure there are a lot of people out there that just wont care about doing that but I think the clutch would self destruct if you do that too much. As far as the twisties are concerned I followed one of your hallowed WRX's around a tight corner that merges with I-95 and watched from 20 feet behind it as the driver lost it in the curve and smashed into the guardrail. I only needed to take my foot off the gas to safely navigate the curve. So dont believe all the hype concerning the WRX. The WRX will out turn any Mustang but the driver has a lot to do with driving the car.

One other item of concern is style. All the cars I test drove had it except for one. The WRX is simply ugly. The lines on the Bullitt are subtle and match the body better than all the rest of the cars I test drove.

It is clear that you are not a performance car enthusiest and that is fine with me. Just every once and a while take your head out of your ass and evaluate the cars for what they are. Thats all I ask.

Thank You

Steve Halpin

2001 Mustang Bullitt #2075
Dark Highland Green
MGW Interior pieces
MGW License Frame without GT Logos
Densecharger
Tri-Ax
Sequential Tail Lights

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt 2075 on 2001-11-29 07:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too belong to the 35-year-old club.

Gee, that mid-life crisis sure crept up on us pretty early!

What were we all thinking buying such a beautiful car such as the Bullitt (or any Mustang, for that matter) when we could have had all the fugly-ness of a Subaru?!

God save us all... :wink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
"But twentysomething men who were once the Mustang's logical buyer today go for high-output four-cylinder-engined cars that can turn on a dime, and jump at Acura Integras, and even Ford's own Focus"

This is my favorite.

Apparently he has not talked to me :smile:

·
Registered
444 Posts
What do you expect from a sold out yuppie. If it isn't an import (Japan or Germany) it cannot be considered worthy or as a status symbol. This car wasn't meant for the masses, solely for the enthusiast (connoisseur in Forbes speak).

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I saw that a long time ago or right after it came out. It did crack me up "who does Ford think will buy this vehicle?" Um everyone who can get they're hands on one. And I'm 50 years old and I love it as does my wife. Some of us will always be young at heart.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hee hee heee... I could not stand it and sent [email protected] and eMAIL. Oooops did I just post his eMAIL address<G>.

BTW, the Cowl on a 1968 Mustang is attached so it can't fall off<G>. Just a few things I noticed in his review;-)...

Hope everyone here eMAILS this guy! I was nice, just wanted to point out that I was 41, almost 42 and picked the Bullitt over a Cobra and even a BMW. Yes I looked at all the cars he mentioned, but the Bullitt was the one I put my hard cold cash on;-)...

Thanks

Bud

PS. Just heard back from him. Nice guy and willing to tell you why he went the way he did as well as hear my side. I appriciate that;-)...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: budacad on 2001-11-29 17:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ok, so I wrote Mr. Frank, he replied very quickly so I have to give him props for that. I may not agree with his assesment, but like he said in his reply, he gets paid to do what we only dream about. Driving and reviewing hundreds of cars a year. Here is his reply.

"I just sent this note (below this graph) off to another Bullitt owner.
I'm sure you don't care, but give it a read. The best thing about this
country is you can say what you think (as you just have). The point is,
I'm paid to say what I think compared to the hundreds of different cars
I drive each year. I'm not paid to be right--there's no such thing. The
right car for you isn't the right car for your neighbor, and there's no
such thing as the perfect barometer of every car made; nobody can be
that unopinionated. One thing--I'm happy you're not crazy about what I
wrote. My job isn't to make everyone happy. For that you can read the
propaganda from the carmakers. And by the way, Forbes.com is hardly
alone in pointing out what's wrong with the Bullitt. The Cobra is just a
better deal. Again, that's an opinion. Here's the note I sent to another
Bullitt owner.

Oh, I most certainly have been to your fan site. I believe that's why
when this story originally debuted I got slammed.... No sweat though.
Part of the job is saying what I think and I still think the Cobra is a
fairer shake for the buyer. But it doesn't really matter. I know that
there probably isn't a single unhappy Bullitt owner in America and
that's great. I had a muscle car in high school too and loved it (not
telling what it is; have to have some integrity!). It's not about the
genre, it's about so many other factors including build quality bang for
the buck, and on and on. I know car cos hate it when we auto scribes
drone on about cars like the Audi TT, but the interior of that car
really shows what can be done in production. The Bullitt, again in my
opinion, only takes the retro-ness halfway. Bring everything you can
about the original and then, wow, you have something amazing. But then
there's a backlash against New Beetles because some people say they took
it too far and others think it shouldn't have the engine in front. God
bless capitalism.

Michael Frank
Forbes.com"

·
Registered
596 Posts
This guy is totally lost. He wouldn't know a decent car if it hit him. He also asks "who would buy this car?" He should take a look at some of the threads on this board. We have a lot of diffrent types of men and women, ages and backgrounds. He's talking out is As* and doesn't have a clue. But thats just my opinion. :lol:

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Looks like he did a cut and past on one eMAIL, it's exactly the same as the one to me;-)... I went back and forth with him a few times. One of the things I wanted to point out was why I purchased the Bullitt over the Cobra, BMW and SUV that I was looking at. I think he gets what we are saying but does not agree with the value we see in the Bullitt. For me, that is fine, I don't think he needs to feal the same way, but he does understand and I appriciate that;-)...

Take care.

Bud

·
Registered
610 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-29 15:14, donwil wrote:
He is acting like and OLD FUGGGGGIN FART, or maybe he is one.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey Dom I resemble that remark! :razz: Actually I agree with ya.

#1748 DHG :bullitt:
2004?? Cobra (Started thinking about it)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittman on 2001-11-29 20:35 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts