Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, after a 5 year absence(meaning i sold my bullitt on 02). I just picked up an 03 mach 1. Well about 5 years ago i posted a question "bullitt or mach 1" and at that time i said i would stay with the bullitt. Fast forward 5 years and i will go on record and say that i would choose the mach 1 all day long. Dont get me wrong i really loved my bullitt but this mach 1 is a horse of a different colour. I dont street race but will jump on it a little from time to time and from experience i can tell you that 2nd and 3rd gear are absolutely ferocious. I prefer the cleaner lines of the bullitt but as a whole i would pick the mach. Just wondering if anyone else has driven the mach and has made a comparison. Thanks...Vic

p.s. truth be known i wish ford had dropped the 4 valve in the bullitt, i guess that's why i chose the mach. I have always prefered the jack rabbit starts in a performance car not the handling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Droopsybullitt.
funny you mentioned the twisties because i just read that the bullitt out performed even the cobra (along with the mach) in the slolom test. It is a great package that's why i added the p.s. Too bad about the horsepower disadvantage. B.T.W. have you driven a mach to actually feel the difference you had mentioned. Because to me unless you are an experienced driver who knows how to throw around a car would joe average or could joe average like me tell the difference..??

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i test drove a new 03 and the saleman told me to bang the gears. my bullitt was stock other than a shifter so it was a pretty good comparison. personally i couldn't feel a difference. i'm sure the mach was quicker, but it was not enough to get rid of 890. i don't think the power difference is so great that you would notice in day to day driving. but it was a good looking car (azure blue).
post up pics of the mach!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi bullitt890, believe me i only sold my bullitt because of the divorce(had no choice). I bought the mach 1 this April 18th and had been looking at buying another bullitt but just wanted to try something different. I too had test drove a mach in 03 but i found a noticable difference. I was trying hard to convince myself that there wasn't a difference but there really is. I was truthfully hoping the mach wasn't quicker but there is no disputing the difference. But to be fair its just a sotp comparision. To me it feels quicker.
p.s. i'll post a pic of the mach when you post a pick of your bullitt(ha ha)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
drove one about 10 miles
Drove fine, had good power, but wasn't that spectacular over the B

the B felt lighter on it's toes and more nimbler. Although, the steering on the Mach was a bit easier... I felt more at home in the B with better feedback between the road, car, and then to myself.

plus IMHO, the B is just so much sweeter
I like the understated coolness of a B over the more in your face of a Mach.
I wouldn't mind a blue Mach with aftermarket rims, a drop, rear louvers, and a few goodies.

·
Car Whisperer
20,882 Posts
I have driven both and like both. They are a different animal and the primary difference is as discussed and designed in...the Mach is for straight lines, the Bullitt is for curves. I love both cars and if I had not found the Bullitt I would most likely be in a Mach. If I had to choose, it would be tough, but I like being able to handle the curves as easily as any other driving. The difference on the street in power....really only goes to the driver as the difference is not that significant.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mach 1 and Bullitt Comparison

The '03/'04 Mach 1 has a 3.55:1 rear end gear, as compared to the 3.27:1 in the Bullitt. That rear end gear mated with the high-revving 4-valve engine in the Mach 1 can make some difference in the seat-of-the-pants feel. As for the Mach 1 suspension, it shares the same springs as the Bullitt: 600 lb in the front and 250 lb in the rear. The shocks/struts are identical Tokico units. The stabilizer bars are slightly different on the Mach 1, though, as they are solid instead of the tubular ones on the Bullitt. The Mach 1 does not have sub-frame connectors, though. Of course, the braking system on both the Bullitt and the Mach 1 is the same one borrowed from the SVT Cobra.

For my money though, the low-end torque of the Bullitt is unbeatable. My driving style much prefers the low-end grunt to the high-end revving.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bullitt Bliss said:
The '03/'04 Mach 1 has a 3.55:1 rear end gear, as compared to the 3.27:1 in the Bullitt. That rear end gear mated with the high-revving 4-valve engine in the Mach 1 can make some difference in the seat-of-the-pants feel. As for the Mach 1 suspension, it shares the same springs as the Bullitt: 600 lb in the front and 250 lb in the rear. The shocks/struts are identical Tokico units. The stabilizer bars are slightly different on the Mach 1, though, as they are solid instead of the tubular ones on the Bullitt. The Mach 1 does not have sub-frame connectors, though. Of course, the braking system on both the Bullitt and the Mach 1 is the same one borrowed from the SVT Cobra.

For my money though, the low-end torque of the Bullitt is unbeatable. My driving style much prefers the low-end grunt to the high-end revving.
i belive that the mach sits 1/2 inch higher than the bullitt does

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dad actually owns an 04 Mach 1. So I get the chance to drive it every now and again. Honestly, it's a quicker car but, to me, it just feels heavier in the front end and not as nimble. Plus, I will always like the looks of our cars better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mach vs Bullitt

A few of you have said the bullitt was quite a bit slower but that can be solved with a blower set up.Then you have a much faster and better handling car.Our cars are quick in the lower rpm range and adding centrifugal supercharger gives huge hp gains in the upper rpm range.Thats a perfect combination if you ask me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Love the power of my nephew's 04 Mach, but can't compare with my Bullit's looks.
Put the Mach engine in the Bullit, and you got the perfect car!

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
I had the honor of driving Tony Alonso's 2003 Mach1 a while ago. It's a screamer and was a blast to drive! It was difficult to compare (stock vs stock) his Mach1 to my stock Bullitt since he has some cool performance modifications.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well I think we know my opinion of this.... :)

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Bullitt vs Mach 1 vs Cobra.. A Mustang for everyone's taste. All good. All a bit specialized in their mission. The same comparisons may have gone on in 1969 with the Boss 302, 351 Mach 1, 428 Mach 1,Boss 429. Which of those was the better? Oh and add in the two Shelby Mustangs too!
You can always swap in a 4.6 4V engine into the Bullitt.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I get to drive my brother's 03 Mach quite often. I definetely prefer my Bullitt. I can't really make a direct comparison though because his Mach is an automatic. I definetely feel the extra power of the DOHC but it isn't as fun to drive as the Bullitt. I haven't had a chance to drive a stick Mach yet but I would imagine it would give the Bullitt a little more of a run for its money in the fun to drive department.
Here's a pic of his Mach from the Fabulous Fords show at Knott's Berry Farm last weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes driven both, Both new and used, and both are a blast, both have their strengths. I like 'em both, my next 'stang will be a Mach, should I ever get a next one. :smile:

·
Registered
889 Posts
windmill power kicks butt !!

Hey DHG-2766, have you ever driven an 03-04 Cobra?
bye,bye Mach !! (as I wave out my window)

(hmmmm, what if the movie were made in '69 with a 429 Mach I, something to think about.)

But once again, The Bullitt isn't about BIG HP it's in a class of it's own !!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If I bought a 4v it would have to be a 03 04 Cobra. I went with the bullitt for the price and the difference in insurance. Plus I am building a fastback bullitt clone.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Mr. Swift said:
(hmmmm, what if the movie were made in '69 with a 429 Mach I, something to think about.)

But once again, The Bullitt isn't about BIG HP it's in a class of it's own !!
Didn't know it was available. I know you could get a Boss '9. Thought he Mach was just a trim pkg for the GT (351, 390, 428). that's supposed to be an eight as in 428

Kewl, thanx for the clarification.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts