Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
No.

I'd contact Lidio at Alternative Automotive first.

I don't think that even Ford Racing has a tune for the Bullitt that keeps the dual octane strategy.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about keeping dual octane. The Bullitt just doesn't run aggressively enough with 87. I'm running 91 all summer and fall long. I will probably switch to 87 in the winter- and then I could reload the factory setting.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I spoke with Doug last week and he only has the GT tunes. Nothing special for the Bullitt :frown: He told me to expect a 7 Hp gain (approximately) over the Bullitt tune.

He also spent some time describing the various attributes of each tune and capabilities. I ordered a tuner from him with the 93 Torque, Performance, and Race. Should go well with my JBA Off-Road H pipe :D:

·
Registered
969 Posts
i got the same info as you big daddy. in the email reply i recieved from doug a couple weeks ago he said i could expect a 7to 10 hp gain from one of his tunes over our stock tune. since you ordered a few of doug's tunes for your bullitt, i would really enjoy hearing from you on your impressions of the three different tunes you receive. i am leaning in the direction that you went in, and it would be great to know how you feel about these tunes. especially the torque tune. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The BamaChips Flash Tuner with Doug’s three tunes was waiting for me Thursday night when I arrived home. I was not in the door more than 5 minutes and I had the box open and out the door to the Bullitt I went :D

I installed the 93 Race tune first and was thoroughly impressed. Did I feel that 7 – 10 HP gain through the seat of the pants meter, not really, but I did get a rush from a more responsive accelerator. The biggest and most noticeable difference was the tremendous throttle response and the response was throughout the RPM range.
You see, that was my biggest complaint with this car, the almost inept throttle. Now, with that said, let me add that the Ford Bullitt tune far improves on the stock 05+ Mustang tune. Also, it is important to note that the stock 05+ RPM red line is 5,800, the Bullitt is 6,400, and Doug’s tune is 7,000 :tongue:

Friday, I then tried the 93 Torque tune. I was not impressed… I did not feel any improvement in the 1,500 – 3,000 RPM range as claimed and the upper RPM range power did seem to drop-off, as I was told it would.

I have not tried the 93 Performance tune so, no feedback right now.

BTW, I removed the Cats today and replaced them with JBA’s Off-Road “H” pipe. That mod has not only improved on the sound, greatly, it has also given me a noticeable improvement in power :wink:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great write-up Joe. I suspected the factory "performance-tune" in our cars was going to be hard to improve on, not that it can't be, as your throttle response has increased and that's good. When I installed tunes in my '07 the difference was like night and day ....but the Bullitt already feels strong winding her out...it's a beast in even stock trim. Thanks again for the tune review.:clap2:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If I may offer a little insight here.Once upon a time I owned an 07' Shelby GT,Great car not unlike the Bullitt.CAI from the factory and a Ford racing tune.Performance is very close to the Bullitt so I feel that this info might be helpful.Off idle or tip in throttle response was wimpy,Not unlike the Bullitt.The tune that I ordered from Brenspeed was to specifically work with the factory CAI and stock parts.The tune really gave very little on the top of the rpm's as far as power increase(7-10)on a dyno,But the throttle response was INCREDIBLE.Now the only problem i saw with that was inexperienced drivers would have trouble with an OVERresponsive pedal.It made the car a lot more fun in the lower revs for sure!I wish I still had a graph with the difference.You would be amazed.I feel it was worth the money,But,if you don't know Ford can actually count the computer reflashes in the event of a warranty concern if they need to.I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that the tune ws definately an improvement,But I'm not so sure it was worth pitching the warranty out the window.I'm a mod it till your happy type of person,But if you value your warranty and like the dual octane strategy,You might want to think before you do it.I'm not trying to start a battle,Just making sure you folks are aware of the fact that flashing tunes back and forth can be seen by Ford,If they feel the need to look for it in the event of a catastrophic failure.BE CAUTIOUS.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Daddy,

Did your mods to the exhaust affect the "Bullitt" sound? I really enjoy the rumble and burping the exhaust system makes, and I wouldn't want to lose that and just have a louder exhaust sound.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
08 Shifter said:
If I may offer a little insight here.Once upon a time I owned an 07' Shelby GT,Great car not unlike the Bullitt.CAI from the factory and a Ford racing tune.Performance is very close to the Bullitt so I feel that this info might be helpful.Off idle or tip in throttle response was wimpy,Not unlike the Bullitt.The tune that I ordered from Brenspeed was to specifically work with the factory CAI and stock parts.The tune really gave very little on the top of the rpm's as far as power increase(7-10)on a dyno,But the throttle response was INCREDIBLE.Now the only problem i saw with that was inexperienced drivers would have trouble with an OVERresponsive pedal.It made the car a lot more fun in the lower revs for sure!I wish I still had a graph with the difference.You would be amazed.I feel it was worth the money,But,if you don't know Ford can actually count the computer reflashes in the event of a warranty concern if they need to.I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that the tune ws definately an improvement,But I'm not so sure it was worth pitching the warranty out the window.I'm a mod it till your happy type of person,But if you value your warranty and like the dual octane strategy,You might want to think before you do it.I'm not trying to start a battle,Just making sure you folks are aware of the fact that flashing tunes back and forth can be seen by Ford,If they feel the need to look for it in the event of a catastrophic failure.BE CAUTIOUS.
That makes perfect sense to me Mark.

Thanks for the Heads-Up Pal.

Of course I knew this because You already told me but it is great You are taking the time to let others here know.

Terry

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
BamaChips...sounds like an Alabama cow chip or something... :lol:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
08 Shifter said:
That's why Brenspeed calls that one a full race tune i guess.

You are correct on Ford being able to tell if the PCM has been flashed by a third party. It wasn't necessarily true of the older PCM, just a code was tripped that could be reset, but the newer PCMs are different.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Whammer said:
Big Daddy,

Did your mods to the exhaust affect the "Bullitt" sound? I really enjoy the rumble and burping the exhaust system makes, and I wouldn't want to lose that and just have a louder exhaust sound.
Well, he no longer has CATs, and no longer has the 'modified' H-pipe which is part of the Bullitt sound.

·
Registered
969 Posts
big daddy,

suprising about the torque tune. that is the tune that i was most anticipating an improved result from, but it sounds like the performance tune is the way to go...so far. i guess it makes sense without other mods as was mentioned that the factory got alot out of the tune to begin with. keep us posted on the results you find with the race tune.

08 shifter,

thanks for the heads up on the reflash info. i find myself vascilating from "to hello with the warranty" one day to "i better not void it" the next day. one thing is for sure though, i do find my self desiring a better throttle response in the low rpm range. nothing like low end torque.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Whammer said:
Big Daddy,

I too like the sound that the Bullitt exhaust has… that straight pipe, glass pack sound of a 60s muscle car. I did not want to lose that 'Bullitt tone', but I also thought it would sound even better being a little louder.

That is why I elected to eliminate the Cats and not mess with the mufflers and tips. The result is what I expected. A system that is more pronounced with a slightly deeper throaty note to it.

I am very pleased with the results :D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
08 Shifter said:
...I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that the tune ws definately an improvement,But I'm not so sure it was worth pitching the warranty out the window.I'm a mod it till your happy type of person,But if you value your warranty and like the dual octane strategy,You might want to think before you do it.I'm not trying to start a battle,Just making sure you folks are aware of the fact that flashing tunes back and forth can be seen by Ford,If they feel the need to look for it in the event of a catastrophic failure.BE CAUTIOUS.
There is something called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle.

With that being said, If I install an aftermarket component that causes damage I am willing to take the hit for that.

If you want a simple read about your rights under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act SEMA has some information on their Action Network, specifically; Consumers Bill of Rights and Warranty.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding tunes and your warranty.
I really don't think this is an issue. I spoke with Doug at Bamachips ( he use to work for a Ford service dept.), he said that for Ford to deny a warranty claim they would need to send an engineer out to check out your car. He said that they would only do that for something major. He said all his tunes are still well within safe limits and it would be almost impossible to damage an engine that badly with his tunes.

I also spoke to an SVT mechanic at a local dealership. He said he knows people are going to reflash/tune these cars. He said he would only raise a fuss if you bring it in with a piston through the engine.
He told me of one fellow who bought a GT500 and for less than 1k was able to add more than 100hp to it. He said it would be tough not to do add the HP for so little cost. He said the GT500 is a $30,000 engine, so if you blow it up, some big questions are going to be asked by Ford. THAT type of thing is going to have Ford sending an engineer out to the dealership.

So for a simple tune I wouldn't worry.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts