Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday, I am having my powersteering pump replaced because it is leaking. It is a very slow leak but thought I should get it fixed. Has anyone had this done? Is there any thing I should tell the mechanic about the replacement process. He has replaced this kind of pump but not specifically on the Bullitt and was wondering if there anything I can tell him that might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nothing different,just make sure he knows that you respect your car,and he takes extra care in the job.:wink:

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Dennis B.......i had my pump replaced....make sure that the replacement is a Ford OEM pump....No re-built pump..replace the hoses...and the belt....i learned all this the hard way...my .02....ok.....hope this helps:wink:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I am worried

dg517 said:
Dennis B.......i had my pump replaced....make sure that the replacement is a Ford OEM pump....No re-built pump..replace the hoses...and the belt....i learned all this the hard way...my .02....ok.....hope this helps:wink:
I talked to the mechanic today and asked him about the cost of the power steering pump and he said he can get it for $100. I then asked him about making sure it was new original equipment. Can't remember where he said he was getting it but said it was rebuilt. He also checked with the Ford dealer and was told a new one would be $140 and that new ones were rebuilt ones. Now I am wondering what to do. I could just let it go as the leak is very slow but I figure it will just get worse. Do I really need to replace hoses and belt with only 18K on the car? When you say you learned the hard way, WHAT HAPPENED?

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I don't know about Dennis, but my brother bought a new F-150. It was only a year old and the hoses started to leak right after the dealer replaced his noisy pump under warranty. I suppose moving it around after being heated and cooled several hundred times made them hard? Then when they move the hoses and wrench on the b-nut it causes the hose to crack and leak as it's hard and inflexible. Just my $.02.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts