Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of u know I blew a spark plug out of one of my heads. Well I took it to the shop to have it bore scoped to see how bad it was. Well it was pretty bad there were no more threads left in the head.
Since my car is boosted I was told by several Mechs that Helio Coil is out and melting the hole alittle to re-tap for the plug to fit is out also.

Luckly i have an extra set of heads sitting at the house. So my mech wants to clean those up and regrind my cams for boost. Does anyone know how much power I would gain from this mod?

Cuz I'm not sure if it would b worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are you running the stock cams currently? If so, a set of blower cams would give a pretty good power gain ~50rwhp. Also, if he is planning on porting and polishing the heads, you'll get a gain there also. I'm not positive how much total power but I would guess around the 75rwhp range.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
00crstlwhtgt said:
Are you running the stock cams currently? If so, a set of blower cams would give a pretty good power gain ~50rwhp. Also, if he is planning on porting and polishing the heads, you'll get a gain there also. I'm not positive how much total power but I would guess around the 75rwhp range.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
Yeah I'm running the stock cams. He said he could regrind them for a blower setup. But I'm not going to get the heads P&P.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would def order up a set of Modular Powerhouse custom blower cams. They make insane power over stock and after market.
I just dumped my Patriot heads and Comp cams for a set of the MPH stage 2.5 heads and blower cams. 600RHWP wasn't enough......

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
twin051302 said:
If I were in your shoes, I would def order up a set of Modular Powerhouse custom blower cams. They make insane power over stock and after market.
I just dumped my Patriot heads and Comp cams for a set of the MPH stage 2.5 heads and blower cams. 600RHWP wasn't enough......

+1

Twin is correct MPH cams are the best. Actually, no one is even a close second.... everyone else is a distant third.

However, before going through this investment (and power increase) you may want to consider a built bottom end first. You will be pushing the limits of that stock motor.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My last round of mods got started after a similar 'fire-ball through the head at the spark plug' event. Which one of your heads and which cylinder poped? Mine blew on the passenger side, second cylinder from the back.

On the cams, yes you can make a lot more power with blower cams and P&P heads. I had looked at the VT stage 2 cams, they claimed 90 rwhp with cams alone on stock heads at 14 psi. Not familiar with the MPH cams, but they sound good. I would research your guys blower cam specs, lift/duration/lobe seperation and compare with whats available elsewhere.

Cams are a key component, they have a huge effect on power and drivability, so doing your homework is very important.

Good luck!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stang4.6 said:
My last round of mods got started after a similar 'fire-ball through the head at the spark plug' event. Which one of your heads and which cylinder poped? Mine blew on the passenger side, second cylinder from the back.

On the cams, yes you can make a lot more power with blower cams and P&P heads. I had looked at the VT stage 2 cams, they claimed 90 rwhp with cams alone on stock heads at 14 psi. Not familiar with the MPH cams, but they sound good. I would research your guys blower cam specs, lift/duration/lobe seperation and compare with whats available elsewhere.

Cams are a key component, they have a huge effect on power and drivability, so doing your homework is very important.

Good luck!
Yeah thats funny the same plug on mine shot out it was strang because I was at a light when it happened. As soon as I stepped on the gas to go all I heard was a pop.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
Have you looked at these?

http://www.timesert.com/
Yeah i have and alot of the guys around here said to stay away from it cuz my car is boosted.

But I already had some extra heads lying around so I sent them out to get cleaned up anyways.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I figured it might me the same location as mine. I know some of the '03-'04 Cobra guys have a problem with overheating leading to detonation on the back of the passenger side head. Apparently it is a coolant flow problem, the back end of that head is the last place to receive coolant, so it can go dry or it gets pre-heated coolant. I believe they fix the problem with a coolant cross over tube form the back of the driver side head to the back of the passenger side head.

I just added a larger oil pan, air/air after cooler and have a larger radiator scheduled as the next mod. Hopefully that will keep things cooler on mine.

That is odd that you were just leaving a light... I was going way too fast for way too long when mine poped. I guess I was asking for it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stang4.6 said:
I figured it might me the same location as mine. I know some of the '03-'04 Cobra guys have a problem with overheating leading to detonation on the back of the passenger side head. Apparently it is a coolant flow problem, the back end of that head is the last place to receive coolant, so it can go dry or it gets pre-heated coolant. I believe they fix the problem with a coolant cross over tube form the back of the driver side head to the back of the passenger side head.

I just added a larger oil pan, air/air after cooler and have a larger radiator scheduled as the next mod. Hopefully that will keep things cooler on mine.

That is odd that you were just leaving a light... I was going way too fast for way too long when mine poped. I guess I was asking for it.
Yeah it happened a week after I came back from vegas:confused:

The whole time in Vegas the car was fine.

But my mech did say that something in the cooling system was clogged. So I'm pretty sure that may have caused it to over heat we will see.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just heard back from the mech that my heads have been cleaned up with new rockers and custom grind cams for my blower cant wait to see the difference this will make.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I hope you had them redo the threads on the good heads or else you will have the same thing happen.

I did the timeserts on my car and these are actually a steel insert. So I am not sure why it would make a difference being boosted. Any reputable machine shop will do the same thing. In fact some of the performance shops offer this mod already done on their heads.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Kujo362 said:
I hope you had them redo the threads on the good heads or else you will have the same thing happen.

I did the timeserts on my car and these are actually a steel insert. So I am not sure why it would make a difference being boosted. Any reputable machine shop will do the same thing. In fact some of the performance shops offer this mod already done on their heads.
I guess we will see what happens. I'm not sure but the guy I go to does alot of boosted cars and I guess he said its more a peace of mind.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Well I got the heads back and we were getting ready to put it on. Right when we removed the old heads we found 3 pistons that were shot.
It looked like someone took a knife and stabbed them to death.
So now I have to rebuild the whole motor. So I'm going to forged internals. Cant wait to see what kinda power I will putting down.
I will keep ya guys posted.

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
did my head mod by buying some of my own electric clippers..

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
U missed a spot.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you're buying rods/pistons/rings/bearings etc. for your intended build, it really isn't that much more to buy a stroker kit and make some extra power while you're at it ;) . And that way you'll have a forged crank too.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stang4.6 said:
If you're buying rods/pistons/rings/bearings etc. for your intended build, it really isn't that much more to buy a stroker kit and make some extra power while you're at it ;) . And that way you'll have a forged crank too.
The kit I got was good up to 530rwhp and thats all I really wanted came with a forged crank. I dont plan on going past 500rwhp since the car is my DD. Pluse my wife drives it every once in awhile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts