Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the owner of DHG 02547. I've had this problem with the car since I bought it almost a month ago. When I first turn the car on I can hear this ticking noise on the drivers side head, and the ticking nois becomes very noticeable when I accelerate! The thing is, that the ticking is still there even after the car has warmed up. I haven't taken it to any shops yet because I want to know if this is a normal thing in our bullitts, or am I just that unlucky.

·
Registered
342 Posts
no ticking here 78,000 hard miles

·
Registered
196 Posts
TwoStangWmn, still havent heard from you!!! :(

and no ticking here in the engine part. have over 36ooo Kms

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
A quote from one of the threads. Sounds like your problem.

It was an obnoxious ticking noise that could be heard inside the cOckpit and would get louder as the rpms went up. I had 3 different dealers look at it and the 3rd one diagnosed it as a factory flaw in the head and said it was an oiling problem with that head. He replaced it and it sounds perfect now. It was not a rattle and it went tick tick tick tick tick and never went away. Its quite possible if there was a flaw in my head that there were flaws in others too. Good luck on the fix, because it made the car sound like total ass and it was embarassing to drive it.

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think I have a slight tick with only 8k miles. But honestly I'm going to wait for it to break before I fix it. Same goes with the trans. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off I have to say thanks to all the bullittheads for the help.
I have only 64k from a previous owner. would it be a lifter or retainer? It enough to make me want to go for some stg2 heads and cams and say to hell with the original heads. Any advice.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
I'm the owner of DHG 02547. I've had this problem with the car since I bought it almost a month ago. When I first turn the car on I can hear this ticking noise on the drivers side head, and the ticking nois becomes very noticeable when I accelerate! The thing is, that the ticking is still there even after the car has warmed up. I haven't taken it to any shops yet because I want to know if this is a normal thing in our bullitts, or am I just that unlucky.
I have seen more than one theory on what the "death rattle" comes from. While some folks argue it comes from a drained oil pump, I can't totally dismiss the fact that since this occurs mostly during the very initial start-up (escpecially when cold) there is some issue with the exhaust manifold(s) either on the head flange and/or the manifold outlet / H-pipe connection (with or without the use of donut gaskets).

NOTE: I mention the donut gaskets because I remember 351 Clevelands did not use donut gaskets and vehicles with this engine (or engine family) was the first I ever remember hearing that special sound from.

Regardless of the type of engine, the reason the sound only lasts a second or two is because the hot exhaust gasses cause the thinner exhaust pipe metal to expand more on the manifold thus expanding to a better seal on the manifold once warm.

This may also be the same with head-to-manifold gaskets when the gaskets are made of thin metal and/or metal-type compounds.

Just puttin' this out there for another thing to consider when troubleshooting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The information below is from Blue Oval News back in late 2003. This was one more reason, along with the other problems that I was having, for getting rid of my 2002 GT.

The article follows:

Ford Motor Company told dealers that 4.6 2V engines built prior to 29 September 2003 and installed in 2001 through 2004 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles may have defective cylinder heads. (2001 -2004 Mustangs GT's were amoung the 4.6 vehicles listed in the article.)
According to Ford, the 4.6L engines "may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent at the front wheel area and may not be heard with the hood opened."
Unfortunately Ford may not notify owners of this action and will only perform service to those who know what to ask for in order to get their vehicles fixed. It's part of Ford's secret warranty program - aka "If you don't ask we won't tell."

Owner's should contact their Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership service center to perform service T-31604 or Pat Hoye (313)248-8336 at Ford World Headquarter. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty expires."

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the car dosen't have an extended warranty, could you buy one at the dealership and then ask to have service T-31604 performed on the car?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I kind of doubt it. I think the car still has to be in the original factory warranty before you can buy an extended one. The article appeared on Blue Oval News four years ago (2003) when most of the cars involved would have still been under their original factory warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts