Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Head'en out to Bottle Blown Racing Dyno in Camarillo Ca. today! Meeting up with Miles Cook from Mustang Monthly. Going to see how many ponies we can get from this 418!! It is a strong runner but only about 9.5/1 compression with cast heads. I am hoping much better numbers then the 301 RWHP it put down a few weeks ago. It will probably be a late night but I will post something later tonight. I also grabbed a new intake "RPM air gap" That should match my cam a little better and not fall in its nose at 5200RPM. We will see!!
Keep the fingers crossed for some decent numbers.
Oh yea with my luck. That is stays together!! I went around tightened everything up!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah, that intake should have you pullin to at least 6500 with that 418. I know the RPM air gap for my cough chevy cough is rated to 6500.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
1968medic said:
I went around tightened everything up!!
Good idea Mike!

Have fun and let us all know.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If the hp and torque is falling flat check the valve springs. They could be floating at higher rpm's. My last dyno had the hp/trq dropping off a cliff at 6200rpm. Turns out the valve springs didn't have the spring rate they were advertised to have. Replaced the valve springs and it pulled hard through 7000rpm at 493rwhp.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Good idea.....

Hey does this mean your car will be in Mustang Monthly?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it is 11:30. Just got back from day 1 of 2.
A couple of weeks ago I went over to this dyno after a car show. I was very disapointed in how my car ran!! It was very finickey, did not want to shift into 3rd. gear. and it dieseled after turning it off. It ran a very low 294RWHP and 312 Torque. (on a Super Flow? Dyno") I have been told they are more conservative then some of the other choices. Any way come to find that my shift modulator vacuum line was off, causing an air leak and other problems.
Today things started off pretty good. Got in a base run of 300hp and 341Torque. Not bad for fixing an air leak. Still not the numbers I was hoping for from a 418.
Well to stay true to form for me an my car on one of the runs the water neck blew the gasket at about 5,000 RPM's. Pouring anti-freeze every where. The water neck was warped had to go to buy a new one. The new one doesn't line up with the intake. After a little sanding on the original neck we get it to seal. Game on.
A couple of timing adjustments and a few jet swaps. We are now up to 306 RWHP and 361 Torque.
I know not very impressive!!
I am letting the motor cool down after driving it 100 miles home. I am going to install an Edlebrock Air-gap intake on her! It peaks at 5200 and the cam is dieing to go more but the whimpy intake won't let it. The air-gap is designed to go to 6500.
The guys think my Heads are limiting me too. They are World Product Windsor JR. with 194 / 160 valves. I guess too small for the cam I have. Headers are 1 5/8 primaries. Too small too. (All of this talk about everything being too small, makes me feel like these guys have been talking to my X about me!!)
Miles took a bunch of pics and is home tonight working late too. I should be in Sept. issue of Mustang Monthly!! He is talking about a 3-4 page article!! Not bad.
Oh Crap!! The whole world will see these dismal dyno numbers!
I am hoping to see some what better numbers with the much better intake manifold. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for a set of AFR heads or Trick Flow's. You know they say you can never get too much head. (bigger valves!! get your minds out of the gutter)
See Ya

·
Registered
873 Posts
DHG #1078 said:
so is there a reason you posted the same thing 5 times or is it just me who sees this?

I'm guessing Mike is really, really, really, really, really excited and just wants to make sure everyone sees this!! ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about that!!
The computer was hung up. I didn't think it went thru!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright calling it quits for the night (02:30)
Never easy, is it?? The Air Gap sits totally different. The front of the intake is so high that it hit a little nub off the MSD Distributor. I had to grind the dist. down to get the intake to fit!! Of course I couldn't get one of the water fittings off the old intake so it is off to the parts store in the morning! It does look sweet know that it is in place!!
Just wait we can all relive this over again in Sept. Mustang Monthly!!
I am So Cool!! :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
1968medic said:
Alright calling it quits for the night (02:30)
Never easy, is it?? The Air Gap sits totally different. The front of the intake is so high that it hit a little nub off the MSD Distributor. I had to grind the dist. down to get the intake to fit!! Of course I couldn't get one of the water fittings off the old intake so it is off to the parts store in the morning! It does look sweet know that it is in place!!
Just wait we can all relive this over again in Sept. Mustang Monthly!!
I am So Cool!! :)

Awesome!! Can't wait to see the results.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Back in the day (yeah I'm an old fart), I had K-code heads on my 289. The heads had been machined for 1.94/1.60 valves. They made a huuuuge difference. At 418CI you could easily use the 2.02 or even 2.05 valves intake as well as a larger exhaust valve (go bigger headers). I wish they would have made hydraulic cams like they do today. I had to go the solid lifter route to get any kind of lift. Boy did that thing come alive and breath.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
In my day we found set of 69 351W heads and bolted them to a 289 or 302 with a 4 bbl intake and holly 600 with headers really woke up the small block..... Now they are stroked, poked, injected, roller cam and electronic ignitions...

Mike this is what dyno runs are for find the bad crap, fix it and get the best running engine you can build.... Looking forward to seeing the results and reading about it in Mustang Monthly.... Oh can you autograph my copy, now your car is celbertry (sp)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Mr. Celebrity...can I have your autograph too???

Seriously, that is awesome that your car will be in MM. Be sure and let us know how day #2 turned out for ya!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good luck with the process of trial and error.
Just keep that little model car off the air cleaner.
I can`t wait to hear it again when its sorted out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts