Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headers are DONE....DONE....DONE,!!!!!!!!!

Got the last header bolt tightend up. That part finished. So I try a trial install of the "matching" X-pipe. Well wouldn't you know that the center distance of the X-pipe inlets is 3/4 inch narrower than the header collector outlets. 20 inch between the collectors,on center and 19 1/4 inch between the X-pipe inlet. In other words...IT WON'T FIT!
Have to give them a call. Let me go look at the box again,and see if it says KOOK's! j/k

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes,I could put a chain around the header collectors and force them closer together,but why put the stress on the tubes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Man that sucks! You would think that buying a matching set would make it easy to install... I guess not. I hope you get it figured out. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wouldn't bend the headers but I would the x-pipe. Two people and some long bars. We had to do that with my x-pipe. Strange how stuff that should fit doesn't.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I thought that the reason for the big price tag was for better quality?

·
Car Whisperer
20,789 Posts
5111 said:
I thought that the reason for the big price tag was for better quality?
+1. paying that much money and you gotta get chains out to make it fit? That's nutz.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would imagine that the pieces are made on a jig and we all know how much heat is generate when welding. If the part was removed prematurely and not cooled sufficiently it could have 'relaxed' back to its orignally shape (metal memory). Hope the install goes smoothly from here. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Spread the x pipe tubes not the headers. The heat did cause the x pipe to curl in slightly. Use two pieces of wood and a bottle jack that should work good, one on each end.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theHULK said:
Spread the x pipe tubes not the headers. The heat did cause the x pipe to curl in slightly. Use two pieces of wood and a bottle jack that should work good, one on each end.
Yep that was the plan. I called KOOK's and ask the tech guy about that. He said you should leave the headers loose,hook up the X-pipe,then tighten the headers up.
I would think that would be more of a strain on those small header flange studs/bolts.when trying to achive the best flange seal.
I also mentioned about including some simple form of installation notes with the headers. He said," You mean there weren't any in the box?"..."I'll have to mention that to the packers". LOL!!!
Headers are on and K-memeber back in place. Those little locating pins,I added,really helped out with K-member alignment!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mus408 said:
I also mentioned about including some simple form of installation notes with the headers. He said," You mean there weren't any in the box?"..."I'll have to mention that to the packers". LOL!!!

Well they must have forgot mine too.........but we got er dun !!!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taking a "spring" install break........ The headers fit extremely well and the only spot that was too close was the G-bar that bolts to the K-member. I slipped in a 3/16ths spacer between the bar and K-member,for extra clearence during engine movement.
Getting there! Can't wait to crank it up!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I can't remember, do you have an aftermarket catback exhaust on the Bullitt? Did you get an x-pipe with or without cats?

Many have stated that their long tubes do NOT make their exhaust any louder, but smooooooothed out the tone. Let us know if this is your experience!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wolverine said:
I can't remember, do you have an aftermarket catback exhaust on the Bullitt? Did you get an x-pipe with or without cats?

Many have stated that their long tubes do NOT make their exhaust any louder, but smooooooothed out the tone. Let us know if this is your experience!
I recently swapped out the Bullitt mufflers for a pair of PYPE'S Violator mufflers,with 2 1/2 inch flow tubes. These are on the loud side,being oval cans with a straight thru 3 inch ID louvered pipe with no packing. For now I retained the stock Bullitt tailpipes. Might upgrade that later,but I figure the 2 1/4 size stock tailpipe isn't that much of a restriction at my power level.
The KOOK's headers came with a matching O/R X-pipe. Should work great with the straight thru Violator mufflers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts