Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in putting a set of headers on the Bullitt. Since I have been out of the performance scene for quite some time I'm not sure what is a good match. So for all you gearheads, I'm trying to get with you, what do you recommend. I am looking for something that will bolt on, relatively easy to install and increase HP/Torque. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Donwil, 1st of all, let me say I'm a former Austinite. Miss it there bad! A good buddy of mine who graduated from UT still lives there and dates a girl from Buda. Anyhow, I've been doing a little research, and so far all fingers point to shorty headers and not long tube. Yes, they give more power, but for the difference between the two, coupled with the amount of work, well, the HP gains are said not be worth it. I'm looking into some FRPP headers, then moving to 62 mm throttle bodies,70 mm MAF along with filter charger kit , chip and gears. Nothing yet as I want to Dyno bone stock to measure results. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Is there a set of shorty headers that you, or anyone else, can recommend?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm with Barnaby, JBA looks real good.
1 5/8" equal length should do it for me. Does anyone have any spec results after a shorty install? I'd like to see what Brad 1790 netted on the dyno with those long tubes.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
For some reason,test I have seen with long tubes,is that there is a torque loss in the 3000 and lower ranges,where you use it most of the time. Could be the long tubes 1 5/8 tube dia. is to big. A long tube should help low end torque,if sized right,maybe 1 1/2 dia? Also,I think a long tube Tri-Y type design would work better,but would have to be custom made,which equals $$$$$! I will stick with the factory logs,as bad as they are!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2002-01-02 16:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. After researching the price and installation/performance issues I will be going the JBA shorty route. These meet my initial criteria of "relatively easy to install". Saw on another post where a Bullitthead spent over $700 just to have the long tube headers installed. I want to do this myself and save the install costs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Don

This topic seems to creep up every month or so, so I'll repost a helpful link here. Just FYI, I have JBA shorty headers on my Roush which I had installed before the supercharger. The dyno showed very small gains of less than 10rw hp and tq on that engine. It may be an "apples to oranges" comparison but on the Bullitt there are at least two of us who have pretty dramatic gains throughout the entire RPM curve. As for ease of installation, from what the Roush Performance mechanics told me and the techs who installed my longtubes the installation isn't significantly that much more difficult. Prices for installs that I have seen quoted range from $100.00 and a case of beer to $700.00. The average quoted was about $300.00 (as seen on www.corral.net). Anyway, just something else for you to consider.
Stay tuned ---- Arthur

http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3665&forum=2

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
roushraven99,

In a nutshell what is really going on with a header addition? I figured that I could just add the shortys as they would be the least labor intensive and would not have to get a new chip burn. Is this correct? Additionally, I've seen a 2000 Mustang with long tubes and the ground clearance is a major concern due to some of the roads we have around here in the Central Texas area. All help is greatly appreciated before I make the mods.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Don, if ground clearance is an issue then the longtubes may present a problem for you especially if you lower the car from stock. My car is lowered a little more than stock so I have to be that much more careful. As for what's involved in the install all I can really comment on is that it took raising the motor a bit off the motor mounts. The real difficulty wasn't with getting them on it was in tightening down the bolts, very crucial. A lot of installers that I have since spoken to have dropped the k-member which they say makes life much easier. At one Roush Performance center I was told that in the future they may just raise the car and drop the motor which I guess is the simplest way if you have the equipment. All told it took 6 hours to install both short and long headers I gues it depends on the skill, knowledge and patience of the installer because I have heard it taking as long as 10 hours.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks roushraven99,

I will tackle the shortys and let everyone know how it turned out. Looks like I won't get to it until the weather heats up, it was 19 degrees this morning. Too friggggin cold for me.

Any more info on if I need to burn a new chip after installing the headers?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sorry Don I forgot to answer your question about the chip. In a word "no" you don't need to have one burned however you will be able to better maximize your set-up if you do. I drove my Bullitt without the chip for well over 2000 miles without a hitch. With the chip in place throttle response did improve as well as top-end speed, but honestly I could have driven it the way it was without it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brad1790 & roushraven99,

Thanks again for more info.

Roush - did you feel a noticible SOTP difference after a new chip?

Brad - Are you still running the stock height? How is your ground clearance? If still stock height can you measure the distance from the header/pipe to the ground for me? What type of headers did you use?

Thanks again guys....... Your info is of immense benefit.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Don the only clearly noticeable difference to me with the chip was that I was able to achieve a higher indicated top end speed before redline. For example, without the chip I would be doing 138 mph indicated just before hitting the rev limiter. With the chip I could go to 140 mph @ 6000 and bounce the rev limiter at just between 143 and 144 mph indicated. With and without I can hit the peg below the 150 mph mark on the dash, I just get there quicker with the chip in place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2002-01-04 06:50 ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts