Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had cars years and never put a bulb in them.

I blew a headlight bulb not long after I got the Bullitt and bought a new pair which I put in.
These were aftermarket blue/white ones.

One of those went so I had to buy another pair.
Last night one of the new pair has blown BUT when I had a look it has melted !
Oh boy looks nasty looks like I will be buying some wiring as well. . . .

Anybody else have any issues with head light bulbs ?

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSC said:
I haven't replaced a headlight bulb since new. My car is also a daily driver and lives outside.
That's what I thought, I think I have some issues here with mine

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Did you happen to touch the glass part of the bulb while installing them? It may be a stupid question, I know, But the oils on your fingers gets hot and bursts the bulbs. If you already knew this then sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->
Black04592 said:
Did you happen to touch the glass part of the bulb while installing them? It may be a stupid question, I know, But the oils on your fingers gets hot and bursts the bulbs. If you already knew this then sorry.
No I did not touch the bulbs I am aware of this. Not a problem to point it out, others may not be aware

bullitt890 said:
was the first bulb that went out the stock one?
Yes the first one to go was the stock bulb.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Worse than I thought

The middle pin on the bulb has got so hot it has detached and is stuck in the connector.

I might be able to save the connector with careful cleaning but can I trust it now.
If I cant repair it then the car is off the road untill I can get a connecor and part of the wiring loom.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Did you not have some extra lights added to the car to be legal in your country? Could be something to do with the additional lights.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
the only issue i am having with my headlights is that apparently one is much brighter than the other one on low beams.

·
Registered
253 Posts
English Bob said:
The middle pin on the bulb has got so hot it has detached and is stuck in the connector.

I might be able to save the connector with careful cleaning but can I trust it now.
If I cant repair it then the car is off the road untill I can get a connecor and part of the wiring loom.
That means you had a bad connection, either between the wire and the pin or the pin and the bulb. Heat is generated at bad connections and there may be some arcing going on. Bad connections will also result in dimmer lights. You may have a faulty socket. Your bulbs might be fine.

I advise against just cleaning and moving on. Replace the socket if you can. That might involve splicing into your harness (and don't use crimp connectors!).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
SNAFU said:
That means you had a bad connection, either between the wire and the pin or the pin and the bulb. Heat is generated at bad connections and there may be some arcing going on. Bad connections will also result in dimmer lights. You may have a faulty socket. Your bulbs might be fine.

I advise against just cleaning and moving on. Replace the socket if you can. That might involve splicing into your harness (and don't use crimp connectors!).
+1 for no crimps.Use solder + heat shrink.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
rblack4405 said:
Did you not have some extra lights added to the car to be legal in your country? Could be something to do with the additional lights.
Headlights were not touched at all.

SNAFU said:

I agree I did have a bad connection. I had a job to push the connector on the bulb. I thought it was the aftermarket bulbs being made out of tollerance.

I have now ordered 2 new sockets (and 2 spare) Link to web site .>> http://autolumination.com/
Thanks for the tip I like to solder and not use those crimp things if poss.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Black4592 said:
Thats only with Crystal Bulbs, the hologen and normal light bulbs arn't effected like that.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All fixed now

67_Bullitt said:
Bob, Is it always the same side that blows?
Mike this is an old thread that goes back to April. I had problems with bad connectors
that I think generated heat.
I replaced BOTH headlight connectors and it is better that new.
NO issues at all since then..

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts