Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, a friend of mine told me to also possibly look into getting some Trickflow heads, and a good set of high-flow headers, what do you guys think about that? Is it a good idea or not, and how hard would that modification be??

Thank You,

Greg Zilinski DHG #1682

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well heads are a good way to pick up a s#$tload of power. Be prepared to spend a good chunk of change though. Headers are also another excellent way to pick up a good chunk. Anywhere between 15 and 30 hp? (anybody know for sure) but with either of these you will change your exhaust note. You know.....the sound everyone is praising. As far as difficulty though. The heads could take a couple days if you are doing it yourself or a LOT more money if having it done professionally. And the headers. Well, it could be done at home but it can be frustrating and very time consuming. Especially if you end up having to remove your k member to install say, a set of long tube headers. So basically I guess I am saying. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on parts AND labor. It will save you headaches in the long run. And also be prepared to have your car off its feet for a while.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A set of , say, BBS long tube headers and an X pipe should net you close to 30 HP. I don't believe TFS makes heads for the modular motor. I think the only ones avaiable are from Ford. I agree you are looking at a lot of money for a modest power increase.

Go forced induction and pick up a much bigger power gain for the money with bolt-on ease of getting there.

brian

·
Registered
310 Posts
I say keep it simple. Sometimes to much just isnt worth it. You also have to keep in mind those type of mods ie... heads, headers and such may void your warranty. So consider carefully. Thanx Havgun.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
In the March issue of MM&FF page 239, they did a comparison between an 01 GT and a 99 Cobra to see how much each one would benefit from the following mods:

GT:
70mm throttle body
cold air induction
Long tube headers w/high flow H-pipe
underdrive pulleys

Cobra:
Twin 62mm throttle body
other mods same as GT

Both cars where dyno'd stock and after the mods. The results are as follows:

GT: 17.8 hp gain and 23.5 lbs.-ft. gain in torque

Cobra: 17.7 hp gain and 8.3 lbs.-ft. gain in torque

As you can see it takes a combo of mods to gain just under 20 hp. So, headers alone are not going to give you 30 hp. Heads will give you the largest gain, but with the addition of the above mods in order to get the most out of them. By the time you spend the money and for the hp gain, an SC will most likely be the most bang for the buck.
By the way all the mods above were BBK products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts