Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Heard a rumor about 2002 GT

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  mswaim 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

A guy over here who was considering a Bullitt for performance (he said he could care less for the rest of the package) told me that he decided to wait for the 2002 GT. Apparently he heard that all 2002 GT's will have our intake and drivetrain. Personally it doesn't matter to me if Ford does offer it on the new cars because I'm very happy with my purchase regardless; and it will always remain special to me. Anyway, can anyone over there confirm or deny this rumor. Cheers,
Arthur

#2 ·
I read over at Stangnet that the only change for the GT was the MACH 1000 Stereo and the addition of an MP3 Player.

Personally, I hope that Ford doesn't offer the Intake on the GT For 2002. I wouldn't be surprise if the Mach 1 has the same engine and suspension as the Bullit. That would end up making the Mach 1 and Bullit mechanically the same with cosmetic touches being the only difference.

#3 ·
I think it would be great if Ford put the Bullitt intake on the 2002. We all know the base GT is really lacking in hp, compared to the Camaro and Firebird (our mortal enemies on the road) and numerous other foreign models. They should use anything they can to get those numbers up to compete with and stay ahead of the rest. If it means using our intake, I say do it.

#6 ·
The latest word I got on the Mach 1 was that it is going to contain the 4.6 2v motor not the cobra motor and it will have the shaker hood which at present may or may not be functional. However, your info may be better than mine.

#7 ·
I might be off on this, but did it ever say the Mach 1 would have the Cobra 32? I thought it was going to have the mass production 32 like in the Lincolin. I would think SVT would stop any attempt at an SVT powered Mach 1, and you have to remember the Cobra motors are hand built. I read in articles "32," but I do not recall seeing anything say it was the same motor as the Cobra...am I wrong on this?

#8 ·
All articles that I have read indicate it will be the 4.6L 2V motor. The lincoln 32 valve is a 3.9L. I heard it will be the 4.6L 2V motor with performance mods like the Bullitt (ie intake, etc.) with possibly the functional shaker hood.

I agree, I think SVT would have a problem with the cobra 32V motor being placed in non cobra vehicles - it would make the cobra harder to sell.

#11 ·
Ford dealer info on the 2002 GT shows the drivetrain to be the same as the 2001. The only difference I've read about is the Mach 1000 stereo. The Lincoln Mark VIII has a 4.6L 4v engine, which is what the Marauder engine will be based on. It is NOT the SVT Cobra motor.

#13 ·
JB VOBRA - the picture you supplied I beleive is from the concept Mach 1 that showed up at Mid-America Car Show in Tulsa, Oklahoma (which is displayed on stanget.com also). However, I beleive it is just a concept and not the actual Mach 1 that will be going production. The body however is supposed to be the same as the concept. The motor in that picture is actually the cobra all aluminum 32V motor with a modified intake and functional shaker hood. As far as the 32V in the Mark VIII I'm confused currently they don't make a Mark VIII I beleive. I beleive their is a concept Mk9 though - is that what you meant? As far as the Maurader - the 32V motor is the cobra's 32V motor - just follow this link: http://motortrend.com/june01/marauder/marauder_f.html and it talks about the Maurader's motor.

#14 ·
I just found the info on the Mark VIII. You meant the 98 Mark VIII not an new Mark VIII. You confused me at first I was wondering if Ford was making a new Mark VIII all of a sudden. The motor in the 98 Mark VIII is a 4.6L 32V motor I beleive its the same motor as the cobra. To date Ford has only produced one 4.6L 32V motor and that the cobra motor.

#19 ·
I don't know why Team Mustang is so afraid of what the SVT guys will do.Put the good guy engine in the Mach 1,and keep happy customers. If I recall,during 1968 1/2,69 and 70,the SHELBY Mustangs shared the the same CJ 428,as the top line engine,with the other Mustangs,like Mach 1 and Grande. Nobody in the Shelby camp went crazy and jumped off the roof then,so why now. They need to cut out this crap. I just want some good HP in a Mustang!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-07 17:23 ]</font>

#20 ·
Hey....some cool rumours! Can't wait to see what really happens.

In reality, what happened to our 18" wheels and smaller edge trunk spoiler on the concept Bullitt.

Concept is a concept until built. I also heard that it was a 2V motor as well.

Regardless....should be a neat thing!

If the 2002 Stangs have our parts on them...great. Enjoy. I have been enjoying my Bullitt since I got it and didn't want to wait through another summer for the "next best thing".....because after that "next best thing" comes "an even better thing"....so I am very content with my "next best thing"!!!!

Paul G.

#21 ·
Just wait until 03 or 04 when all V8 Mustangs are powered by the same 3.9L as the Lincoln LS. Even a 01 base GT will have more oomph. And, nobdy is modifying that engine, so no readily available parts. At least we have the luxury of a couple of years worth of R&D working for us.

And as an added attraction, all V8's will come with 2.73s or some such ratio for CAFE.

#22 ·
The Lincoln Mark VIII and Cobra both use 4.6 DOHC V8's Camming and fuel delivery are improved on the Cobra, hence the 320hp vs the Lincoln's 300hp rating.

Everything I've had access to explicitly states the Mach 1 will use the 300hp 4.6 DOHC which is mass produced, not the Cobra's hand-built 320hp 4.6 DOHC.

This will still give the Cobra a 20hp advantage over the Mach 1.

#23 ·
The Mauruder article stated that it uses the 4.6L 32V not the 4.6L SVT motor. If Ford moves forward and uses the Mark VIII('98)/Maurader Motor that would be sweet. Imagine a Mach 1, 300Hp, and no IRS(lower weight, no Wheel Hop). I doubt SVT would get too upset. They'll still have more power, of course they could always bump up the power to 330+ to match the F-Body Twins, and the IRS for better handling on winding roads.

#24 ·
In the following article:
http://motortrend.com/june01/marauder/marauder_f.html it describes the motor that the Maurader will use and it states "Mercury insiders say they quickly realized that engine wouldn't fit. Instead, the Cobra's DOHC 4.6 has been tweaked with a special low-restriction exhaust and what are described as "truck cams" to pump up bottom-end grunt." So, I beleive the Maurader will be using the cobra (SVT) motor which is an Aluminum motor. The reason for the HP difference between the Maurader and the cobra are due to Camming, fuel delivery, etc.. as described by Five Oh B. As far as I have ever heard their is only two 4.6L motors - the cobra's "Aluminum" motor and the "standard cast" motor (which the Bullitt has). The concept pictures of the Mach 1 currently have the cobra's 32V motor you can tell by the aluminum block and the signature plate over the spark plugs which states "V8 32Valve" - this is due to the special spark plug setup that the cobra has. As far as the Mark VIII motor I'm not sure. If the motor is Aluminum than its the cobra's motor. I'm guessing that the Mark VIII is the cobra's motor due to the limited numbers of Mark VIII's built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.