Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all of you are sorry for me and my loss. But I am happy to report that I am not going to let the heart and soul of Bullitt 929 die. Just the body!!!! Here is what I am thinking. Have the car towed to me and pull the engine, trans, suspension, brakes, interior, gauges.....all of it. Basically everything that made the bullitt a bullitt that I can salvage.(aside from the Bullitt badging) Then modify the engine to roughly 400 naturally aspirated. Then take all the salvaged parts and transfer them into a 99-01 V6 or GT body, strip all the identifying marks off of it including side badges, grill pony, decklid emblems, and get a flat rear fascia fabricated. Maybe have a few of the FR500 body parts fabricated. However I do this I can't let # 929 come to such an untimely end. Any ideas on how to do all these things would help. I am also interested in not offending my brethren here at Bullittclub. I would like to carry on in the tradition of the sleeper that all enjoy here at Bullittclub and pay all due respect to what the car should be. I WILL NOT make a Bullitt mock up because it's not a Bullitt any more. I will take the heart and soul and apply it in a respectful way. No shopping cart handle and no "look at me" parts. Just a car meant to handle and tear up the road. Any help or opinion would be greatly appreciated. I respect the word of all here.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Lok I think that is an excellent idea. It keeps some your car from being put back on the road as a salvaged resell and it allows you to as you say keep the heart and soul. I never got that opportunity with my yellow car so someone out there is driving a badly beaten up Roush. I'm not sure which issue but there was a past issue of 5.0 that showed the install of a V8 into a V6. Pull everything inculding the wiring harness and the complete driveline because the V6 has a different rear end. Also try to get your brake system as well if that too is undamaged. The swap will be a bit pricey but starting with a clean V6 is the definite and cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good for you. If you can find one cheap enough, maybe a V6 convertible would be neat to upgrade. I'd think it would even be fun to go really retro and use an '85 GT style body. Whatever your choice, good luck and post pics please.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I want to use the current body style but I will most definately let everyone know how the project procedes. Got a few other things I have to do before I can start but I have a digital camera and I will let everyone in on the project over the net. Could be a long project but I think it's worth it.....and plates....gotta cancel my "Retro68" and I think I will Get "BRNAGN" Now to email some on X plan for a V-6.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Way to go Lok,good luck on the project and keep us posted.

·
Registered
351 Posts
LOK N LOD, Have been away from the bullitt club recently[overloaded work load]and just saw your posting regarding your bullitt. All I can really say is,sorry to hear the news, but remember this, NOTHING can take away your memories and keeping the heart and soul alive is an excellent way of keeping those bullitt memories fresh for many years to come!

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Like the new plates idea Lok! You coould co so many ways on the new one. I had an idea a while back for a "new" 64 convertible. Red with the white mustang stripe on the rocker panel and you could even redo the interior in red/white leather down the road. Of course yours would be a wee bit more powerful than the original!! LOL
Cam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey if you did get another Bullitt we could re-write the BeaTles song " One after 909 " to the tune of " One after 929 " :lol:
or if you ressurect it, than " Hey Hey My My Bullitt GT's will never die.."

BTW I was very sorry :sad: to hear about the accident and the demise of your Bullitt, but glad everyone came out OK...Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
BullittRocKer aka Krankiekat
I wanted a name with Bullitt in it so I added a new name for myself.

aka Krankiekat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittRocKer on 2001-08-26 12:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittRocKer on 2001-08-26 12:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittRocKer on 2001-08-26 12:36 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I like it. That's a very good idea!! We need someone more knowledgeable to answer this but can you just swap a V8 into a V6?.. I mean structurally. I think it's an awsome idea to keep the heart alive. Good luck with the project and let us all know how it's going. As to offending anyone.. Don't worry about it. You had the Bullitt... the parts are coming from a Bullitt and not from some parts bin someplace or from some ford vendor trying to cash in on the Bullitt name.
At any rate I'm glad to see that you aren't just gonna scrap the car and move on. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's the spirit Lok,

I love the idea. You don't know how many times I wished I'd kept my 88GT after I totaled it for just the same thing. You now have the opportunity to build a Mustang just the way YOU want it and you have some great parts to start with. Keep us posted (with some pics if you can) on your progress.

Sometimes good things come from bad beginnings.

Good luck

·
Registered
310 Posts
LOk N Lod I didnt recall reading anything on what happened to your Bullitt Can you let me know or to what thread u discussed the demise of your Bullitt??? Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Havgun, read about it in the thread "Aren't you supposed to shoot a horse with a broken leg" in Bullitthead Chat. All of the unfortunate news is there. I am gonna try to add pics as soon as I can drive down there to get them.

http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1564&forum=1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-26 23:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lok, that's a great idea! I'll be very interested to see your creative project come to life. You've experience enough to know what's possible from a custom 'stang. I'm sure your treatment will be tasteful and exciting. Good luck, and keep us up-to-date.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I got the email 01GTB....my other question would be whether or not I could use X plan on a used car sitting on a Ford lot or does it only apply to new? Sorry if I seem a bit naive.....afterall, I paid sticker for my Bullitt. :-B

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
No, no, no! Don't buy a used car :grin: Can't use X on it anyway. Trust me, you can get a hell of a deal on a 2001 6 cylinder right now. You can do well without X, but it takes the haggle out of the picture. The rabates in your area look like they max out at about $1000. Here it is $2000. Wait until after the 9/04, the rebates there may go up. An ol basic 6 banger will X at about $16,300 or so, then throw in the rebate. Around here one could pick one up for about $14,300. Not to shabby for a brand new Stang. Damn, kinda makes me want to go pick one up for a everyday beater :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-27 03:57 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i hope that you make all this work out for yourself Lok!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would your insurance company let you buy it back? It seems they are usually hand in hand with salvage yards.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The insurance company doesn't have my car because I had liability and uninsured motorist, minimum coverage. So, it would do me no good to try to get them to total it, they would just laugh in my face. Good or bad the car is in my possesion and I have to make the best of it. I'm trying to work out something to throw the Bullitt engine into a V6

1 - 19 of 19 Posts