Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Bullitt (DHG 00148)back from the shop where it had been since September 24th due to Transmission problems(bent fork issue). While in the shop I had them install the Tri- Ax shifter,it's the least they could have done for me since trans was out of the car. Noticed a couple of differences since I received it. Gear changes are stiffer and more noise. I feel this is due to the shifter, its more positive and nice during agressive driving. My concern is that the shifter is extremly WARM compared to before. I think this is due to the lack of the isolator found in the stock shifter,thus allowing transfer of heat through the metal parts.If someone with a steeda shifter could share some insight on this I would appreciate it. Just want to make sure since I did have transmission problems before. I relize I'm a little paranoid... No I'm not the one who reported anthrax on the powdered Doughnuts...LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Tri-Ax is warm and noisy also. It's normal from what I have seen in the postings. One piece of advice: Since you didn't install it yourself I recommend checking the shift stops, if you have not done so already. One of the nicest things about the Tri-Ax is the added safety of the stops. If they are not set properly you can damage the tranny when shifting hard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Brad.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Steeda mentions the increased noise right in the installation instructions. Their suggestion is to install the boot over their shifter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone with the Steeda have the MGW gripper grip...if so how do you like it. I'm thinking this would help with the warm feel and sun soak heat that you get from parking out doors. I'm considering this option.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I got an MGW shift handle to replace the handle that came with the Steeda Tri-Ax and it has accomplished three very important things:
1) decreased noise almost to zero
2) decreased heat through the handle
3) moved the shifter ball MUCH closer to my hand...No more reaching for 3rd and 5th!

As for the MGW Gripper ball...I have one ordered with my build number on the top. I can't wait!...It's my Christmas present from my wife (I just informed her of that part :smile: )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dennis, I'll check into the shifter and handle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mustang on 2001-11-03 12:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
No prob. mustang...Here's the link...
http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shift_handle.html
and a pic...

Black#5578 born Wed 8-22-01
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MGW satin & shift handle,FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-11-03 15:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have the tri-ax and Gripper handle. It takes care of the "Hot Handle" issue! Also use the rubber bushing(Supplied in the kit) between the shift post and the handle. It cuts down on vibration.Oh and I love the combo,Thankyou very much!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ditto that for me too. The MGW handle made a big improvement. I have the engraved gripper knob, and as cool as it is with the engraved number, I have decided I like the feel and look of the original knob. Just me I guess. I'll make a special desk plaque with a pert of the stock shifter and display it in the office.

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts