Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Hell in a Bucket.

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Deadhead 
#1 ·
I was one of the first to bring up the theory of piston slap. My engine started making this noise after my second oil change at 1300 miles, using Penzoil 5W-20. At first, the rattle was limited to just 3200 to 3400 RPM, and it was summer here in San Diego. I changed oil again at 3000 miles, again using 5W-20. At 6000 I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30. The dealer told me this is what they used. Now its cooler and the rattling extends to 4000 RPM.

However, recently, after the engine was fully warmed up, I could easily duplicate the engine rattle on the freeway in 3rd gear at any RPM by feathering the throttle. This is why I think its piston slap because the pistons are under very low load, thus allowing them to vibrate. Obviously, this is a serious problem and I don't think anybody from Ford could say this is normal. I am very reluctant to have the dealer begin probing, I went through a nasty probing mess with my 99 Cobra that Ford ended up buying back. At this point, I think its best to wait until Ford comes out with a solution.

The car is an absolute blast to drive, so I'm going to continue to enjoy it. As the Greatful Dead sung, "I maybe going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride..."

TB #2127

See less See more
#3 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-18 02:10, bullittboyz wrote:
Like the salesman told me, that is why you have a 3yr./36,000 mile warranty. Just be sure you use it before it expires.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

you said it boyz, i'am all for a new engine at 35,500 miles, he he

#5 ·
So when is Ford going to come up with a solution to this cold ticking/rattling? Anyone have any updates? I too am reluctant to have Ford service my car and I am also waiting to hear what the problem is before I take my car in. My cars going to Ford this saturday to replace my headlights and you better believe my baby wont leave my sight!

#6 ·
You can add my 01GT to the long list of piston slap victims. My dealer has confirmed that the cold start rattle at 3000rpm under light load is indeed piston slap, but they say Ford will not authorize (pay for) an engine replacement or any attempt at a repair. I think many of you will find this thread at f150online interesting:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d10691d8cb7792f22ec92bc59e0c40ec&threadid=8747&highlight=piston+slap+summary

It seems Ford has had alot of experience dealing with this problem on modular motors, just not in the Mustangs. In 99 they finally gave in to all the complaining F150 owners and released a TSB authorizing replacement of the engines on all the trucks with piston slap. Lets hope they will do the same for all the 01 Bullitt/GT owners experiencing these problems!

#7 ·
Exactly what does PS sound like? I wonder if I could hear it if my Bullitt had it? My son hears rattles in my car that I can't hear for the life of me.

John

#9 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-18 01:52, Deadhead wrote:
I was one of the first to bring up the theory of piston slap. My engine started making this noise after my second oil change at 1300 miles, using Penzoil 5W-20. At first, the rattle was limited to just 3200 to 3400 RPM, and it was summer here in San Diego. I changed oil again at 3000 miles, again using 5W-20. At 6000 I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30. The dealer told me this is what they used. Now its cooler and the rattling extends to 4000 RPM.

However, recently, after the engine was fully warmed up, I could easily duplicate the engine rattle on the freeway in 3rd gear at any RPM by feathering the throttle. This is why I think its piston slap because the pistons are under very low load, thus allowing them to vibrate. Obviously, this is a serious problem and I don't think anybody from Ford could say this is normal. I am very reluctant to have the dealer begin probing, I went through a nasty probing mess with my 99 Cobra that Ford ended up buying back. At this point, I think its best to wait until Ford comes out with a solution.

The car is an absolute blast to drive, so I'm going to continue to enjoy it. As the Greatful Dead sung, "I maybe going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride..."

TB #2127

Piston slap is a condition only, underline "ONLY", heard at idle when the engine is cold. What you are experiencing is "pinging". I can almost gaurantee that is what you are hearing. I'm not going to get into the 'hyperuetectic piston' thing because the theory that this causes piston slap is total nonsense. Pinging, that is what you are getting....

#10 ·
I got you all beat. I had the first engine replaced at about 4,700 miles. I figure about every 5000 miles I'll get a new engine and NEVER have to change the oil<VBSEG>.

Happy Holidays.

Bud

#12 ·
On 2001-12-19 08:55, Cupfan wrote:
RenegadeBullitt, you're wrong.

It's not pre-detonation. You'll have to trust us on this.

I agree- I know pinging and what I have at 3k+rpm is exactly as described above.

#13 ·
It is definitely NOT pinging. We have all had cars the had predetonation pings over the years. This noise is a deeper metallic knocking. When I use 87 octane in my chipped Bullitt I get pinging.

#14 ·
Thanks to FOrd for the F150 report on piston slap. The rattle that I've experienced on the freeway after full warm up only happens under a "feathered" throttle i.e. light load, thus eliminating the detonation theory, because detonation would occur under heavy load/max fuel delivery into the cylinders. Light loads on the pistons would provide the most viable opportunity for piston slap if the tolerances between the cylinder walls and the pistons are not correct. I think its interesting that so many of us are experiencing the exact same problem and Ford has had other variations of the 4.6 that are victims of piston slap. Even though I have a 100,000 ESP waranty, however, I will force Frod to do something under the B2B warranty before it runs out. I am driving to N Cal for the holidays, the weather is quite a bit cooler up there, so it will be interesting to see if the slap gets louder when the engine is cold. Keep you posted...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.