Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself and my company. My name is Todd Rainey and I own a small fiberglass company called Boss Performance Composites based out of Wilmington, Ohio. We design and produce high quality hoods and wings for 1983-present Mustangs. We've been in business since 1995, so we've been at it for just over 21 years. My parents met because of my mom's brand new baby blue 1964-1/2 Mustang, so I guess you could say Mustangs are not only my passion but the very reason I was born. Over the past two decades of being in business, we've had a lot of ups and downs. Everything from working directly with Ford to our building burning down in 2010... It's been quite a ride.

I'm new to this whole forum thing but I imagine it's much like talking with people at all of the NMRA events that we attend across the country every year. I have to say that meeting and talking with Mustang enthusiasts is my favorite thing about being in business. Perhaps we could do much the same thing here in this forum. I have lots of back stories that never make it into literature or even on our website. Things like: Where do some part numbers come from? Or Why does everyone else use white gelcoat on their hoods and you guys use black? Or How do you guys make your fully finished hoods as light as most pin-on hoods? If you guys would like to hear some of these stories, I'll be glad to post some up for you.

One of the highlights of being in the Mustang aftermarket is some of the people we have been able to work with over the years. Back in 2009 we had the honor of working with Scott Hoag from MRT. Many of you know that he was the project director of the 2001 Bullitt Mustang at Ford. Scott contacted us about developing a new hood for the '08-'09 Bullitt Mustang (they called it the '68 Style Reload) The goal of the project was to bring the "DNA" of the original 1968 movie car over to the '08-'09 Bullitt Mustang.

See more about how it was developed here: http://bossincstyle.com/projectvehicles_bullitt.html

In all, it was a very popular design. Unfortuntely, Boss and MRT separated ways in 2010 and MRT stopped making the '68 Style Reload some time after that. Over the years, we have received tons of requests for that hood or something like it. Since we no longer have the molds, we decided to offer an even better design. It's called The Boss Bullitt hood. While similar in appearance on the outside, we have made several improvements underneath: For strut tower brace clearance, we added a full inch of additional space. To improve high speed stability, we utilized technology that we put into Steeda's Q-series race hoods. The Boss Bullitt hood is rock solid up to 90 mph - Probably more, but that's as fast as we took it during our test!

To show you how much this technology improves high speed stability, here's a video of the Steeda race hood passing Porsche's and Nissan GTR's at legendary Daytona:

Hope this first post wasn't too long. I'll try to shorten them up in the future! If you guys already have one of our hoods, please post some pics. We'd love to see them!

Have a great day!

Todd Rainey
Boss, Inc.

*A new hood makes a great stocking stuffer, so with Christmas coming, we're offering a $25.00 off coupon code at checkout through 12/24. Find your new hood at www.bossincstyle.com

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Thanks and welcome, Todd; you're just a little ways down the road from me in Columbus. The hoods look great - do you offer a pre-painted version?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we're only about an hour south of you and right off I-71! We looked into offering a pre-painted option but found that variances in paint color and shipping damage were just too big of a variable to overcome. We strive to make our customers happy.That being said, even if we got the color perfect but there was just one little scratch during shipping, most people wouldn't be happy. The best thing we have found is to have a local body shop paint it for you. By having your car in front of them, they can get a perfect match and you don't have to worry about shipping damage. We think its a win-win for everyone.

Thanks for asking B33NN3TT!

Todd

·
Administrator
6,317 Posts
Hi, Todd - I was able to see the most current hood on a customer car back in August. Was really nicely done! Thanks for jumping on board the IMBOC forums. Someday I might take the plunge! Do you have any comments about water management with the hood when driving through the rain or sitting outside?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts