Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase a helmet (required to do all the fun stuff at Indy BTW) and wondering what is a good brand and not to pricey.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Hi Guys,
It has to be a "SA 2005" and no motorcycle helmets for all open track days I have driven. SA stands for "special application" if I recall correctly.

I would suggest a Bell helmet. I was surprised to learn that a Bell is priced about the same as others. You can get one for $200-$300.

Also get a quality head sock to wear under the helmet. It keeps all the sweat off the helmet liner.

I also suggest a neck brace to help prevent excessive head movement during a craash. These are Cordura-covered dense foam and go for about $25. Decent protection for far less than a HANS.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Like PhotoRick said, at least get a thick padded horse/neck collar. If your serious and have the 5 point belts, get a HANS. There's nothing like a spinal injury. Racing safely should really not a have a price tag. Have Fun and Race Safe!!

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thank you for the help gents.

·
Registered
967 Posts
if i were in the market i would get a shoei. they make amazing helmets for off road and have heard nothing but good about the kind of helmet your looking for from shoei.

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they don't inspect it you might get away with that. I thought of getting a proper one if I go somewhere else and they lool it over and not allow it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Liability is such a big deal now days, that I can almost guarantee they will be checking-

Be safe and have fun!!

=-=--=-=-

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I picked up a nice open face (what you want for an air bag car) Pyrotect for a very good price... can't find the place though, but are an import shop just north of Philly
they are cheaper than some of their competitors and are a big name in the helmet world.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i second pyrotec. ive had one of their helmets for almost 2 years and i love it. they even have more than just black n white. they have a cool rubberized flat black that is really cool.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
hoosierblackbullitt said:
I was looking to purchase a helmet (required to do all the fun stuff at Indy BTW) and wondering what is a good brand and not to pricey.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Don't cheap out on safety. I bought a Bell M4 full face helmet. These guys were great to deal with- ask for Murray. If you can go to a local place just to test fit for the right size, do it. I had to return one and get the next size up- they didn't hassle me at all about it. I have attached a piece about finding out your size.

http://www.fastcompanyperformance.com/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Karl Rodg88 said:
i second pyrotec. ive had one of their helmets for almost 2 years and i love it. they even have more than just black n white. they have a cool rubberized flat black that is really cool.
werd

I wanted that one, but the place I got it from only had glass black & white and I needed it quickly... plus they gave me a nice discount. I think I only paid like $120 (including tax) for it and got to try on the different sizes since they were all in stock.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Good to know, I've been looking around also. Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Open vs. Full Face Helmet?

I plan on purchasing a helmet (SA 2005) from one of the vendors listed in this thread. I will be using it for drag racing, autocross and open track events driving the Bullitt only. My question is whether I should buy an open face or a full face helmet. I'm leaning towards an open face as I need to wear rather large glasses; Oakley Gascans. I've heard comments that open face helmets are better when driving cars with air bags. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts