Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
You may not believe this but 409 cleaner works quite well. I learned about it from a fellow Bullitthead (the Coggins won best 2001 Bullitt engine compartment) at the Bullitt Nationals this past summer in Myrtle Beach, SC. I tried it when I arrived home in Cincinnati, OH...and it works. I use a small stiff nylon brush with generous amounts of 409 cleaner and then blot dry with a clean terry cloth or paper towels. Note: Do not use the 409 cleaner when the engine is warm and/or hot.

:py2:

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
I just ran out to the garage and checked the label...it states "Formula 409 Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner".

:py2:

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
Ezekial said:
409 did NOTHING for me recently

:(
Initially, 409 did not work on this end either. When I say "initially" I mean I had expected it to remove yellowing/oxidation/corrosion of the intake right from the start...like within the first minute or so. No joy. Only after I had let the 409 sit for a while (say five minutes) did it work. Repeated applications followed by repeated scrubbing with the nylon brush (as well as repeated blotting) was key, I believe.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I would think any good aluminum wheel cleaner would work well. Zoop,I think that's the product, is supposed to protect uncoated aluminum for uo tp 3 years. It is expensive though. If the car has to sit outside,or be driven a lot in wet conditions,the aluminum will corrode.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I gotta second the 409. I just tried it on a cool engine, letting it soak for a couple minutes and then scrubbing it with a pretty aggressive nylon dish brush, then blotting it up with a shop rag. It took off stuff that I thought was permanent stain. It's looking really nice. Now it just needs an old toothbrush in some of the crevices.

For $3 you can't beat it. And you get to use it around the house for cleaning everything else, so the wife doesn't get tangled about buying yet more car detailing equipment.

K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.