Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my #2856 bullitt has been "cutting out" or stalling at higher rpms under heavy acceration. It is really bad when taking off from a stop under heavy throttle and not as bad the higher into the gears that I go. It stalls so hard it feels like you are going to go through the windshield then kicks back in giving you whiplash. It did it so bad one day that the car died and would not start again. Come to find out the PCM fuse was blown. After replacing it the car runs but still cuts out. It seems to me like I need to replace the PCM? HELP?!?!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does it whether I have the predator tune or the stock tune installed.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
have you changed your fuel filter..maybe fuel pressure is restricted and at high rpm its not enough

·
Registered
194 Posts
my buddies 86 svo does the same thing, Im curious what the correlation might be. We have been trying to diagnose it for a while and cant seem to find a fix. It might be possible that the plugs dont get a signal for a couple rpm. maybe?

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
when my cats got clogged in my 5L f150 it would overheat going up a hill

I still think you need to check your fuel pressure

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have any cats. I had the predator plugged in today watching fuel pressure when it cut out the programmer read ***** on every category. That makes me think it is definitely electrical, just not sure if it is the PCM or possibly something else. Fuel pressure was good through the RPM range when it wasnt cutting out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some 2001 Mustang Bullitt may exhibit a hesitation or stumble over bumps condition.
This condition may be followed by the theft light flashing for a period of time, and diagnostic trouble codes (dtc's) C1284, U1147, U1262 may also be present. When diagnosing you may find no communication with the PCM. This condition may be caused by the DPFE wiring chaffing against the DPFE bracket shorting out VREF. Repair the wiring and re-route the DPFE wiring to run over the accelerator cable to prevent this condition from reoccurring.

It could be this due to the engine shifting during heavy acceleration. I believe if the PCM were faulty, the car would not run at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, I did look at the wire you showed in your post. The black coating that holds all of the wires is worn away in a couple of spots, but the wires themselves do not seem to be damaged. I did look at them at night with a flash light for only a few minutes. I will look at them closer tomorrow and let everyone know what I find.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jemit said:
Where is the fuse located for the PCM? Is it on the board itself?
The PCM fuse is in the fuse box under the hood.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If the wire casing is damaged, all it needs to do is touch a metal surface and the electrical current can take a different route causing cutting out or shorting blowing the fuse. If this wire is not at fault, follow the wires from the fuse and you may find it rubbed through somewhere else. The blown fuse is the indicator of electrical defect, normally wire damage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know its been a few days, but I finally checked the wires from the picture and they are not damaged. I guess im just going to have to take it in to Ford and let them keep it for ever and charge too much

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2008 Bullitt has stalled out about three times while driving and once when I tried to start it after it had set, engine off and key in the "ACC" position for about an hour. The stalling while running feels like a clog in the fuel injectors. I have to stop and let her sit a few minutes, before she will turn over. Whe it stalls is usually slowly loses power and when I accelerate, the engine just dies out. I have taken it twice to the dealer and the first time they could not replicate the stall. The second, an the current time, I am leaving it at the dealer until they figure out what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
This may sound crazy but have you tried the second key?

After that I would look at the TPS.

Could be the ECU but I would rule a lot of stuff out before spending that money.
The dealer mentioned the ECU. That is what they are going to check tomorrow. The Service Rep also said that the car was not old enough for it to be the key. I only have 4200 miles on her. I hope they find the cause on this service visit, cause she is still under warranty. I have this fear that as soon as I roll past 50,000, they will deiscover what is wrong and hit me with the bill. So, far, they said they will keep it as long as needed. I got a loaner vehicle out of it too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.