Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP Lamda sensors failure

I took my car for the yearly test today and it totally failed on emissions.

"Exhaust emissions Lamda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits"

No relevant DTC codes.

My car has been flying through its yearly tests. Only thing that has changed since last year is
the exhaust was taken off when my car was off the road for 33 days having the gearbox rebuilt.

Could they have damaged all 4 Lamda sensors ?

Could they have damged the wiring - ie bad electrical connectors ?

Does the computer think they are not connected ? Should I get a DTC code for this condition ?

Co2 limits were ok so most prob cats are ok.

Car smells rich on first start up.

Any ideas............?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If anything went wrong with your o2's you would know fairly quickly via the check engine light would be on. You guys get a sniff test for newer cars?? maybe your cats are getting old? But they are not old enough for the computer to sense it yet? I guess you could try a full tune up and replace the o2's, its still cheaper then cats.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update number 1

Its a quarter to midnight here now and I just got back from putting the car on the Ford WDS system.
We did it static, running and an urban drive and constant 55 on cruise.

All a okay.

No error codes, cats ok, and a text book performance from all 4 sensors, so no loose wires
and no check eng light.
TPS good and MAF readings as well.

Best advice is get a second opinion in case the guys machine was broken -
I now have to book it in at another test centre
for the exhaust emissions check to see it this guys machine went out..........

If he won't do the gas check only then I will have to pay another 100 bucks for a full test.

Bob

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
That sucks, If your engine light is not on and it is functioning correctly then the car should have no problem passing emission. Your probably right that they mechanics machine was/is wacky. Hope you get a retest for free!!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black4592 said:
That sucks, If your engine light is not on and it is functioning correctly then the car should have no problem passing emission. Your probably right that they mechanics machine was/is wacky. Hope you get a retest for free!!
Re-test is free if within 10 days or you pay another 100 bucks.
I now need to get it to pass at another test station to dispute his machine, within 10 days. I can do another test
or part.
If it passes and I then chose to test it in full with them then I pay a 100 bucks on top of the 100 I paid today.

I should be able to do the gas check only for a minimal fee
even if I have to go to the big SVA test centre where I can complain about this test centre and his machine.

I don't want to complian as he is a really nice guy and he has been really good to me over the years.
Mind you I can't drive my car now and the holiday weekend is on the way..
I think his machine is gone bad...............

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pass, fail 3 times and pass

Ok now i'm stressed. 4 days of crap for nothing............
Spent all morning on the phone and got booked in for a second opinion at another test station.

I had no lunch and had to clean the air filter and run some injector cleaner through the car before taking it
for the re-test straight after work.

Passed with flying colours, no issues at all, at second opinion test station. They knew what I wanted and did
a full test with a witness as well. No cheating at all and the car passed easy.

Ok phoned first guy and asked if I could bring it back now armed with my pass test results.
I get back to him and FAILS AGAIN........ Not a little bit BUT BIG TIME..

It then fails the next 3 tests in a row. This has got to be a fault with his machine.

Ok I am stressed now as I nearly bought a new exhaust with 4 cats and four new O2 sensors............
He gave in and passed it, so I am good for the next year but this whole thing has left me with no faith at all in their computers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well obviously its his machine, no biggie the bullitts back in action and you still have some $$ in your pocket!:)

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black4592 said:
Well obviously its his machine, no biggie the bullitts back in action and you still have some $$ in your pocket!:)
Thanks for chiming in on this thread, I was looking for any help and advice
but it came together.

Bob

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Hi Bob,

Quick question. Why do you have to get your test done at the station that isn't working properly, why not at the other location that it passed at? Just curious.
Minnesota did emisions testing for a while about 10 or more years ago, set up several locations and made you get the test every year. After a few years they shut it all down. They found out the vast majority of the cars passed and that it was a huge waste of money to fund and manage the emision testing program to only catch a very small percentage of cars that didn't pass. :smile: It works for me. :smile:

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts