Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So I just bought a Mac o/r H and went to install it tonight and ran into a wall.
Me and a few pals spent hours trying to remove the stock H from the stock header on the PASSENGER side.
The top part of the flange came loose just fine but we could not get the nut on the bottom of the flange loose.
We tried all sorts of swivel sockets and extensions and even used the impact gun. It just would not come loose.
I was told to get a Wabble socket, so that is what I am going to do in the a.m.
Now I know almost everyone with these Bullitts converts to H or X pipes.
How did you do it?? Was it difficult? Please help me out here.
Also does 15mm sound right? because thats what size the nut is on mine.
Please reply asap.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yes, it takes a 15mm socket. Be sure to soak it down real good with Liquid Wrench or something similar and let it sit for awhile. That nut can be real hard to get loose. Also, if you can't get it loose, then try the socket in different positions (ie. rotate it some and then put it back on the nut and try again). Sometimes it takes just the right angle.

·
Registered
922 Posts
sganow said:
Yes, it takes a 15mm socket. Be sure to soak it down real good with Liquid Wrench or something similar and let it sit for awhile. That nut can be real hard to get loose. Also, if you can't get it loose, then try the socket in different positions (ie. rotate it some and then put it back on the nut and try again). Sometimes it takes just the right angle.
I have a Mach O\R H-pipe on my GT, and I do remember having the same problem. sganow is dead on with his input on the having the right angle.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Exhaust work is a pain in the arse to say the least. Like it says above, soak it with some good penetrant.... any of your pals have a torch to warm things up?? That works the best! Good Luck Pete!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In order to heat the bolt up I need to get the starter off.
It is very difficult to do also. Getting two of the bolts off is not bad but the third one at the top is really tough to get at.
Any sugesstions?
Thanks for your help guys.
Pete

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,301 Posts
Try PB Blaster. It will loosen ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
yep, PB blaster for me too...

i have the MAC pipe too, make sure you get a couple of M10x50mm bolt and nut to replace the stock bolts that hold the flange to the stock headers, the old bolts have a section of no thread that prevents the nut from tightening down fully...

good luck!

shaun

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got in on tonight.
and your right the PB blaster really works!
But since I did not know i needed some new 10x50mm botlts, it leaks at the manifolds bad!
On monday I will go get some bolts and swap them and hopefully they will seal the leaks.
I am unable to hook up the front driver side O2 sensor. Do I just need an extension or some kind of Eliminator Sensor??
Also the car will not idle right now. Is that due to the leaks on both sides of the manifolds or because a O2 is not hooked up??
Thanks for all the help guys!
Pete

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
mine was hard too....had to use a torch on it.

did you use a new gasket on one side? make sure to draw down the nuts evenly on each side going back and forth on both sides.

are you using MIL elminators?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the MAC gasket on the passenger side. The driver side is a round flange and does not require one. I read tho that I should just use the stock ford gasket on the passenger side. So I will swap it when I swap the bolts. I dont have any MIL eliminators. Only 3 of the O2's are hooked up right now and it wont idle. Is that due to the missing O2 connection or the leaks? Do I need a set of MIL eliminators to make this thing work?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Is it easier to install shorty headers AND the o/r H-pipe at the same time?

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
no, the problem with shorties or lt's is the fit up where the flange hits the head. easiest way is to drop the K member but it can be done without doing that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should I use the stock steel gasket on the passanger flange?
Or stick with the one that came with the Mac H?
I just orderd a set of MIL eliminators for the rears.
Im going to have to cut the front driver side O2 and solder in some extensions.
Is that the best way to go?

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,301 Posts
Hey Pete, did you get the new bolts and swap them out yet, and did your leak go away? Just wondering. I've had my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I've heard to stick with the stock Ford gasket. My son had the Mac gasket on his 2000 GT and it burned out pretty fast. He has the Ford gasket in now. The O2's should hook up. Not sure why yours don't. You can buy O2 extenders if you need them. When I put my JBA o/r H pipe on my Bullitt, I could not find MIL eliminators so I bought a pair of O2 extenders and made my own MIL eliminators by soldering in resistors and capacitors that I bought from Radio Shack (using instructions I found on the internet) and hooked them up to the rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I used a ford gasket on mine. I also used BBK long tube o2 extenders for the front. The plugs are at the top of the bell housing and suck to get to I put the extenders on so you can just unplug them low. The drivers side studs coming out of the exhaust manifold have a shoulder on them they dont let the pipe seat correctly you must remove them and use regular studs with no shoulders or bolts. Get the extenders you will thank me later on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright guys, good news, got it on and it sounds great!
I found out about the drivers side studs the hard way when I put the H pipe on then found out after that it leaks bad dude to those shoulders on them.
I went down to the local Fastnell shop for some bolts and found out they didnt have any in stock.
So I put the car up on the lift, took out the ford studs then put them on a lathe and removed the shoulders on them.
The Mac flange slid right over and with a few washers it is solid.
I had to buy a longer O2 for the drivers side and I ordered a set of MIL connectors for the rear's.
In the end this project ended up costing me alot more cash and head aches then I planned. But It's done now and I love it.
This would have been an afternoon project if I knew what I was getting into. NOTHING is ever as easy as it seems.
Is it true this pipe can add about 10 HP?
Id like to thank all you guys for your help and Im super glad I joined this club a week ago when I got my Bullitt.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Glad you got it all finished up and are happy with the results. I'll have to agree that nothing is ever as easy as it seems. My JBA H pipe bolted right up and I had no problems with the studs on the driver's side. The flange on my JBA doesn't even come close to bottoming out on the shoulders on the studs.

BTW, what catback do you have on your car? Is it still the stock catback?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts