Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a weird metal clanking sound coming from, what sounds like to me in the driver seat, the left rear wheel of #5242. When I first heard it I thought I was dragging a piece of metal, but after looking under the car nothing was dragging. I only hear it at low speeds, driving around the neighborhood, on the freeway I don't hear anything at all. I don't think it's the tranny or the brakes because braking, pushing the clutch, changing gears, or even going over bumps doesn't necessarily cause it, it seems pretty random. If anything I would say it happens most often when accelerating/decelerating.

I even busted out a GoPro in hopes that something obvious would pop out. But I didn't see anything:
You can hear it pretty clearly in the first 5 seconds of the video.

I recently had new tires put on, BF Goodrich sport comp 2 (Which I love BTW). I thought maybe the tire shop didn't tighten the lug nuts enough, but I tried wiggling the wheel to see if there was any play and I could not detect any. Would I be able to detect a loose wheel while the car is on the ground, or would it need to be jacked up off to detect that?

Any Insight you could give would be helpful, thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Does this happen when it goes over an textured surface, or bumps?

Does stepping on the brake change anything?

Lightly rest your foot on the clutch or brake and get the sound?

Different gears change it's level or frequency?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Maybe a muffler mount/clamp came loose, and/or bad shock. Can you get the rear up in the air and start pushing things around? My daughter's former Cobalt made similar noises & it ended up being a bad muffler mount.

Good luck & hope you find the culprit.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Possibly the band that hold the tire pressure sensor in place and as you increase speed the centrifugal force pushes it out and stops rattling. Since tires was just put on that would be my guess. Has you tire pressure sensor light came on

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, great ideas!

I jacked it up like you guys recommended, the wheel was not loose, but after spinning the tire there is definitely something rolling around in the left rear tire. Like chuckh said, I think whatever it is in there is held by centrifugal forces at speed, and then when I slow down if it's just at the right spot it'll hit my wheel. I don't get any TPMS warning, whatever it is it sounds like it rolls pretty well, maybe when they changed the tires they left a socket in there LOL!

Welp time to take it back to the tire place, hope fthey don't try and rip me off. I'll let you know what they find.

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
like Chuck said, the tire sensor or the guy changing the tire left his pepsi can in there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts