Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came out of the grocery store and some a-hole had thrown about a 1/4 bucket of oil based paint on the back of my car.it's splatterd all over the back including windows. I can't get it off with soap and water it just spreads around and I don't want to scap it off, etc.

This completly sucks. I had just washed the car.

Any suggestions on how to get it off of do I need to take it to a body shop or detailer?

Help:mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
That sucks, sorry about that. I noticed a few weeks ago looks like someone keyed the driver's side of my Bullitt. I never understand why people do this.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
If you work fast you can try mineral spirits! It should get the oil paint off without damaging YOUR paint. just be sure to wash it VERY good after wards with something that will remove the mineral spirits residue (dawn) then wash real good with a quality car wash and wax it!

Good luck man Hate to hear it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You're pretty sure it's oil based paint? If so, you have to be careful regarding the method(s)to remove it. Any paint remover with an acetone base will melt the clear. You may want to contact a body shop first, and ask what they recommend. Did the paint seep in between the quarter panels and trunk lid affecting the rubber trunk seal?

Sorry this happened to you.

Mike
08 DHG #0545

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear when this happens. I wouldn't own a car like this when I lived in NYC because people are jealous and just don't want to see you have nice things, so they mess with your car; they usually key it, break something, or steal a piece off of it.

Dano, I am not sure what to tell you. If the car was just waxed I would think that it did not damage the clear coat. Maybe someone else has some tips.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
If the paint is still wet, I'm with the mineral spirits idea.. Goof off is another one I would try...

Then I'd be off hunting...

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
AM really sorry to hear about this, hope it can be removed without any damage. I just cant understand why people have to be so destructive to other peoples stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support everyone. It only has 1,500 miles on it so I have not waxed it since the purchase. the police just left and he suggested I leave it alone and call a detail shop for help tomorrow (along with insurance). this might get expensive real quick.

Yes it is oil based and it appears that these punks used paint brushes and flicked the paint several times. there are large runny spots along with hundreds of tiny dots (mainly on the rear trunk lid). I scared that i will do more damage if I try to get all the spots off.

Another forum I googled suggested Gumout carb cleaner on a soft cloth. I might try this tonight. either way I have to call insurance - maybe a respray....*uck.

one last hope - grocery store has security cameras in the parking lot..although i parked kind of far out maybe this douchebag is on tape...

happy memorial day

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am so verry sorry about your car.:frown: :frown: :frown:

I am afraid that this will happen more and more as the environmentalist wackos get stirred up empowered by rising gas prices I can foresee them treating performance cars like fur coats.:evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Jester67 said:
I am so verry sorry about your car.:frown: :frown: :frown:

I am afraid that this will happen more and more as the environmentalist wackos get stirred up empowered by rising gas prices I can foresee them treating performance cars like fur coats.:evil: :evil:
That could be true. Yet that dark green Bullitt V8 is an environmentally friendly choice. I'm getting 22mpg overall and 27 straight hiway, with low 2008 emissions.
Maybe the whacko's would rather I kept driving my 80's junker 6 cyl that barely got 20 mpg on a good day and belched plenty of crap in their lungs.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
68 to 08 said:
Thanks for the support everyone. It only has 1,500 miles on it so I have not waxed it since the purchase. the police just left and he suggested I leave it alone and call a detail shop for help tomorrow (along with insurance). this might get expensive real quick.

Yes it is oil based and it appears that these punks used paint brushes and flicked the paint several times. there are large runny spots along with hundreds of tiny dots (mainly on the rear trunk lid). I scared that i will do more damage if I try to get all the spots off.

Another forum I googled suggested Gumout carb cleaner on a soft cloth. I might try this tonight. either way I have to call insurance - maybe a respray....*uck.

one last hope - grocery store has security cameras in the parking lot..although i parked kind of far out maybe this douchebag is on tape...

happy memorial day
Man that's tough... sorry to hear that! :exclaim:
Since it is vandalism, it would be covered under the comprehensive part of your insurance. That often has no or very low deductible and does not count against your driving record to raise your rates.
If it were me, and I couldn't get it off with thinner or spirits (trying on a small area first), I'd insist my insurance provide a repaint from a reputable, high volume Ford Dealer on such a new car. Perhaps with a warranty for a factory finish. No body hacks!
And get a copy of that police report.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
a body shop can get it off by wet sanding with 3M 3000 grit and then poilishing it out

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
neile said:
Try WD-40 in a small place. It works pretty good and leaves a bit of a mess but it washes off.
Unless the formula is different than what it was in the late 70's, WD-40 contains sulfuric acid. That's OK for busting loose rusted bolts, but I never could understand why people would clean their guns or anything of value with it. WD-40 won't touch my Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
These kind of thread just tick me off. I cannot believe how many a**es are out there who do this sort of thing.. and it seems to happen all the time!

Sorry to hear... I hope you are able to get it handled.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,849 Posts
68 to 08 said:
Just came out of the grocery store and some a-hole had thrown about a 1/4 bucket of oil based paint on the back of my car.it's splatterd all over the back including windows. I can't get it off with soap and water it just spreads around and I don't want to scap it off, etc.

This completly sucks. I had just washed the car.

Any suggestions on how to get it off of do I need to take it to a body shop or detailer?

Help:mad:
What a major bummer. I would forgo all the Tim Allen "happy home backyard fix-it" methods and run that sucker straight to a top-notch reputable body shop, pronto. A shop that is top shelf with rods and customs wouldn't be a bad choice. Good luck and remember that man has never made anything that cannot be fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good News-

I tried Gumout and a soft cloth rubbing very very softly and it all came off except for a small amount that dripped into the window rail (i'll get that tomorrow). I followed it up with a wash with hot water and soap to get off the Gumout residue. It was dark when I finished so I ck it tomorrow, but there does not seem to be any damage to the clear coat, etc.

So now we know: Gumout works great.

I still need to find these a-holes and rip 'em a new one. My bullett is the only one in town that I know of so I'm concerned it will happen again. I don't know of anybody that I've ****ed off (lately) so maybe I cut someone off and they saw a chance to get even. my guess is a couple of drunk white-trash morons out on memorial day and saw my ride sittin' there all alone and got jelous. maybe my plate did not help either "OLD SKL". I think i might change the plate just in case. I guess parking way out can bring unwanted attention..food for thought...

anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'll send an update if it looks like I did more damage.

one more question: if everything is OK should I wax it now? if so what the best out there?:wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.