Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY! There was a decent day, sunny and nice, so I took #4841 to a car wash to give her a "first bath". MAN!!! What a job! She's still wet too, major water spots, runs and drips...I'm down in the dumps. I spent 1 hour 30 minutes JUST trying to dry every spot and I just kept getting more and more discouraged. There are these "splotches" ALL over her, don't know how to describe it except it looks like a kid with sticky hands went all the way around her, pressing their hands on her all over. They were not there before and I'm wondering...could it be the chamois?? I do not have ANY 100% cotton towels yet, but I PLAN to get them, ASAP! I tried so hard to get her dry and spot free, no such luck!

What's a gal to do? Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? I was thinking she'd be sparkling after her first bath, but she is not. She's got so many of these splotches, it's hard to get even one good angle and a good photo, because of them. I seem to think the splotches were made every time I put the chamois on her body, they look like sponge marks, though I did NOT use a sponge...I simply washed and rinsed with the wand, no brushing, nothing touching her but soap and water.

I'm bummed out...really, is it going to take hours to hand dry her, only to have spots all over still?? Are the towels the trick???

I also noticed many swirl marks and small scratches all over too, seems like I will be getting the other Zaino stuff for that too, hadn't planned on it, but will now.

Any suggestions, I'd be thrilled!!! It was never like this with any other car, and I didn't even try that hard before.

Thanks you guys (gals!)

:sad: Sad Dona

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dona on 2001-10-20 11:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dona on 2001-10-20 11:01 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
What kind of mitt did you use to wash it? Did you use a real leather chamois? Did you use towels?

That is where the problem is. Wash only with a cotton chenille wash mitt, none of these synthetic wool looking things or sponges. They will drag dirt around and scratch or spider web the car. The chenille mitt traps dirt for the most part below the surface. REMEMBER, 100% cotton cannot scratch.

I do not like leather chamois, I prefer the Absorber, a sythetic material. They are great, dry top to bottom, but make sure the car is free of any dirt. If you are not sure the car is completely clean, don't use that either, use a Royal Velvet or Charisma towel. A lot of towels, while they say are 100% cotton are referring to the loop, not the binding. If they are not made in the USA, they are not regulated, so the loop may not even be pure cotton. No colors either, use white. Wash with liquid detergent, no bleach.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-20 11:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Well, like I said in my first post, I used only soap and water from the car wash WAND, I did NOT use anything to wash the surface with, NO object, just shot the power washer then the power rinse at the commercial carwash.

I did use a leather chamois, but I don't like it, it took SO long to get the car even a little bit dry and it still had water all over it and the splotches I described.

I just went and took a picture of it....it shows the splotches though the picture does NOT show how bad they really look and they are ALL over the car.

Like I said, I never had this happen with any other car or drying with chamois, just don't get it?!?

:sad:

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
That looks more like soap residue from the wash. You need to do it by hand with a mitt and good car wash. Try it again :smile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sad Dona,

Cheer up! Are you using one of those "super" chamois possibly? I bougth one of those and it sucks! I suppose a regular chamois may do the same. I do not like these. I had to go home and get old bath towels and go back to the car wash and do it all again. Here's what I do now:

1) Use the high pressure rinse to wet the car.

2) Before time elapses put a good car wash soap (I use Meguirs) in a bucket and fill using remaining time on rinse water.

3) Wash your car with good mit.

4) I rinse my car using ONLY the "spot free" rinse setting. If they don;t have this then use the regular rinse but try ot find a place that has spot free it really helps.

5) I found that good old used bath towels make the best thing to dry with. You can lay a batch towel out on the Mustang roof and simpley drag the entire towel across. I suggest at least one large batch towel and 3-4 small hand towels.

6) Dry the major flat areas first: roof, trunk, hood, sides using big towel.

7) Open hood and let water drain from hood scoop. Also open trunk. Open and slam doors a few times to get water to drain from mirrors and such.

:cool: The use smaller hand towels to dry bumpers, door frames, etc.

9) Once and area is dry, I go back over with a clean, dry, soft cotton cloth and softly buff away any small streaks or remaining water spots.

10) Of course, keep a good coat of wax on the car. If you wax, get an orbital buffer. It is so much easier.

This should leave your car fairly nice looking. I presume that the chamois is the problem, it was for me. Maybe the soap at the car wash also. Of course you know to not use the "foaming brush" it has everyone elses dirt imbedded on it.

I hope this helps. Sorry you will need to redo the job.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dona, I was going to be the first to respond to your post but by the time I finshed typing you had posted your picture and explained what you did. A truly dirty car can NEVER get clean with only the soap spray. You have to use a mit. Living in Arizona we have very dry dusty air but it hardly ever rains. So if it has NOT rained since I last washed my car and the car is only dusty and I want to give it a quick wash I will use the spot free rinse to just rinse off the dust. I will not dry the car. I simply get in and drive away. In Phoenix, it is not uncommon to drive 60MPH on the city streets so it drys it pretty good. If you can't do that, head for the freeway and just drive fast for awhile to blow off most the water. The spot free rinse is soft water so your car should look "almost" as good as a hand wash. A few drips looks better than a dusty car. At least until the weekend when you can spend the time to do it right. If however I have driven in the rain or driven through standing water or whatever I will only do a hand wash.

The point is do NOT dry your car if you have not properly hand washed it. Just let it air dry assuming you used the spot free rinse.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies and suggestions.

This WAS the first time I washed her, however, she was not really dirty at all, just slightly dusty from lack of driving her...heehee

Anyway, the ONLY reason I just used the wand with soap and then water is because I have a TERRIBLE fear of using a mitt on her. OK, so when you first start, you have a clean bucket of soapy water, a clean mitt, we all agree? But, what about the first time you slop a coat of soapy water on, rub a bit, DIP that same mitt back into the water and over and over?? In no time, that clean, soapy water is dark and dirty, full of gunk that just keeps getting put back on the paint! THIS is why I've never hand washed a car, I don't want to scratch my paint and go around with a mitt applying black, dirty water. What DO YOU DO?? WHAT kind of mitt will work and not scratch? This is really my question.

I only had the chamois with me, but I do NOT like it and won't use it again. I'm on the hunt for 100% cotton towels....just have to find them. When I worked for the Fire Department years ago, they ordered 100% cotton baby diapers to wash all their fleet, they were NICE and soft and never scratched and didn't leave any fibers either...but I have no clue where to find them now.

I will have to wash her all over again, looks like Monday is my first chance...I don't think I'll try it today.

I'm just SO dang nervous about scratching the paint with a dirty mitt, scratching her up with the wrong towel, etc., etc....I'm very, very nervous about it because she's so beautiful and I want to keep her looking sharp!!

I DID place an order for Zainos stuff, but don't have it yet.........so, I guess I am hunting for towels, right now...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Dona, I use a 2 bucket system and a lambs wool mit. One bucket with the soap, and one with clean rinse water. Dip in the soap, wash a section, then swish the mit in the clean rinse bucket. This puts the dirty "gunk" in the rinse instead of the soap. Change the rinse bucket often. In fact, I keep the hose slowly running in the rinse bucket....

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
I've been washing my Bullitt the old fashion way with good results. I've always hand washed and have never taken it to a power wash. Make sure you are in the shade or wash early/late in the day. I rinse the car first with water (obviously) and wash the car with Mother's car wash using a 100% cotton hand towel. I don't rub the paint surface hard but try to use a lot of soap on the towel to lift the dirt off of the surface. Rinse thoroughly and dry with 100% cotton bath towels (we have saved several old towels over the years and use them for car washing). Open the hood and trunk and dry all the areas that water tends to puddle, especially in the trunk. Opening the hood allows the water to drain from the back of the scoop. So far no blotches or surface scratches. Also, this Bullitt is not a daily driver so the level of dirt is never great, mostly dust with some dirt around the wheel openings.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for more ideas, I really appreciate it.

OK, where do I get the good mitts?? I am willing to buy several and don't care about the cost, just want whats best and is OK to use on the paint. If you could, give me a name brand or exact name so I know what I'm looking for and where to look!

Oh, the two bucket idea....excellent, never would have thought of it though I've been trying to think of a way to do it without putting the gunk back on the car. Thanks!
Thanks again!!
Dona

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Dona,
Looks like you have lots of suggestions.
I havve good luck washing mine the old fashion way. Car soap and water. Hose it off well first to get the dust off. I add one step... after washing & hosiing her off I take her a fews away to the do it youself car wash for a quick power wash, wax and the SPOT FREE rinse... works wonders no need to dry her off... just park in the shade of garage and let her dry.... no spots or swrils.:smile:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dona,
I've washed my car numerous times(to many to count). Of course don't ever wash with the sun shining on it not even 3 Dona's could dry it before the sun would. I just use a sponge and dry it with a Chamois a real one not synthetic. You must remember that you need to clean the Chamois first before using it.
Maybe dry another car with it first(one that's not babied so much. My dad told me that I will probably wash the paint off of my Bullitt. Anyway I usually don't have any problems with mine. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Donna

I feel you pain, hopefully my suggestions combined with the others will help. Intially, I have never had any troubles with other cars either, but when I went to wash my bullitt for the first time it looked like a three year old had done it. For me the problems were two fold. Black and Blue cars Suck...when it comes to washing and keeping clean. My prior mustangs I could leasurely wash and dry with no problems. My bullitt even on a 75 degree day drys so fast that the soap and water pool,dry and then stain. So, to fix this you need to wash in sections and then continue to keep the whole car wet (preventing the drying and pooling). Keep doing this till you finish the wheels and then use a good chamise (sp?) :smile:. I was a faithful leather chamise user for years..until I bought an absorber for my dad. Needless to say..I stole it from him and gave him another for his next b-day. I truly love that item much more than any other chamise. It is fast, and does not leave scratches or marks. Well, I know this has been long winded and you have most likely gotten enough feedback from other fellow bullitters..but I did not see this information added, so I thought I would share it with you. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Dona,
With all this great info you should have no problem. Just don't get down about the whole thing. Once you get a good wax job on your baby everything will change from there on out. Honest. I wash mine once a week and put a lite coat of wax once a month and life is good. I live by the ocean so I have a lot of moisture that settles on my Bullitt and let me tell you that it's like a magnate for dust and other ugly things to stick to. It gets better and like I said you have plenty of info to work with. Have fun and keep that Blue Bullitt looking good.

Anthony
True Blue #2979

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Good suggestions all.. It seems everyone has a slightly different approach so I'll throw mine in. (Old club members beware.. belabored point approaching)
My neighbor has a 85' Trans Am GTA with a $14,000 paint Job that he just takes to car shows. I use the same stuff he does.. Belive me when I tell you that his car doesn't have a SINGLE spiderweb, swirl, scratch or buff on it.

The Aresenal..
1 5 gal. Bucket
2 Natural sponges (can get them at painters supply stores)
1 "Water Blade"
1 "Absorber" synthetic chamois
Bunch of cotton diapers (Best for waxing)
Any decent car wash mix
WD-40 for tar removal (second only to duct tape for usefulness)

Rinse the car down really well.
Start from the Roof and work down. Make frequent trips to the bucket for more soapy water. Don't be afraid to wring the sponge out a couple times when going back for more soap.
Don't get ahead of yourself. Wash 1 part of your car at a time completely before moving to the next. Also very important.. Keep spraying the entire car with water until you're ready to dry, this will help prevent spotting.
WHen you're done take the water blade to your car. This will remove almost all of the water. Then go back over it with the Absorber to get the windows and and all the other spots you missed.
The Scoop is infamous for keeping water and "weeping" sow after you dry your hood stuff a cotton hand towel into the scoop to collect the water that will leak out.
To clean the windows without streaking use a cotton T-Shirt. This FAR surpasses towels, paper towels and newspaper for giving you streak free windows.
If you use a tire treatment do this before you wax or finish your wheels. Then take some good ol' Windex to clean your wheels.

For wax products.. Almost everyone reccomends Zaino. Nothing wrong with it but I prefer 3M's professional line. You can pick them up at any good Auto Parts store. Surprisingly not the chain stores though.
For the kind of smudges and smears that you appear to have you might want to try a good paint cleaner. 3M makes a good one that is totally clearcoat safe. It goes on and off just like a wax.

Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This seems to work for my Bullitt...
1)Rinse off all dirt with hose.
2)Wash with Rain X car wash-with cotton mitt and rinse low pressure one section at a time.
3)Rinse entire car again low pressure.
4)Dry remaining water spots w/ chamois, and put a towel in the scoop to absorb water.
5)Use windex on windows, they are the only thing that Rain X car wash leaves spotted.
6)Wash from top to bottom, and if there are any extra dirty parts (rocker panels etc.) be careful not to drag that dirt around.
7)*Do all of this in the shade when the car is cool.
Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitmon on 2001-10-20 14:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
Donna,
Your car does look like there is still soap residue on it. However, I also believe some dealers put some sort of clear waxy coating on new cars with a spray gun. When I washed my Bullitt the first time it water spotted like crazy...on everything including the windows. Wiping everything off with cotton towels did not remove the water spots. I even had a spot on the roof that if you ran your finger over it, it felt like the clear coat on the paint was missing. If you ran your finger over the windows, it felt almost tacky.
The solution for me was to by a good liquid rubbing compound, a variable speed buffer from Sears and go to work on the water spots on the paint AND the windows. The out come was amazing. All water spots from everywhere were GONE! I then of course, put a good coating of wax on the paint and it was even more amazing. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to wash the car again and will see what happens when I wipe it off again. Then, I'm going to wax and buff one more time. I hope my little piece will help among the other great answers. Good luck!!

P.S. Don't go to the car wash! Your Bullitt deserves only the tender loving care your hands can give it!!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,047 Posts
:lol: :lol: Bob! Nice to read you!

Boy, I'm getting tired just reading all this washing material. I'm lucky, the old man does alll the detailing on the cars! I just drive em! :smile:

Vicki

·
Registered
6 Posts
If mine looked like that I'd be bummed out too. I just use a soft cloth towel and some wash and wax soap like Zip wax. Haven't had any problems yet. I also use Wizards, just spray it on and wipe off it works great. Gets rid of most of the water spots too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts