Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

help...!!! need info/ advice on Pda's

868 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  donwil 
#1 ·
I have no clue on these pda's... sony/palm pilot/hewlett packard etc... my oldest son needs one(wants one?) and I was thinking of getting heimone for birthday/christmas..
thing is I dont know what to look for, whats the best etc... HELP !!!!

#2 ·
Well first decision is wether to go with the tried and proven PalmOS or the new kid on the block Windows CE. A lot of it depends on what you want the device for. If you are a businessman who wants a lightweight pocket organizer you can't beat the Palm m505 it's very slim and can fit in your breast pocket. If you are a kid who is into games, get a Gameboy ... nah, the Compaq IPAQ rules. It does just about everything a desktop computer does from games to MP3's to mainstream apps like Word, Excel etc. It does consume it's batteries much much faster than any of the PalmOS based devices, the Palm m505 can last up to a week or more without a charge, great for the traveler. The IPAQ can run from several hours at full tilt to most of the day depending on how you use it. If you just take it to school and back home for a recharge it's just fine. Sounds like someone's getting a new toy for Christmas!!!

#3 ·
If you're looking for a good "First" device go for one of the HandSpring Visor's. These are considered Palm Pilot Knock offs, but they're not really. The Guys at 3Com who invented the Palms and the Palm Operating System left 3com and took with them the rights to create their own PDA. Thus the Visor was born. It does everything the Palm does, is completely compatible with all the palm software and is a good deal Cheaper. The Compaq's are wonderful as are the other Win CE devices, the only downside is that they're EXPENSIVE! You can get a good visor or Palm for $150.. you can easily blow $700 for a CE device. So it depends on how old the kid is, how serious is he going to be about using it and keeping up with it. I also think it's a better bet to get on of the Palm/Handspring units anyhow to start out with. You can always upgrade to a better PDA later if it's needed. $700 for a new Compaq is quite the waste if it ends up under the bed of a 13 year old in 6 months.
However, you know your kids best, Just find out what the use is for and you can then make an educated decision after that.
Good luck and happy shopping!!

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-11-23 18:25 ]</font>

#4 ·
I can't add much to what's been said above. However, I've had a Handspring Visor Deluxe since mid-January of 2000, and I've been quite pleased with it. At the time, it was their top of the line model, but I believe they have introduced several similar models since then. I THINK (digging back a bit) that it's basic stats are more or less equivalent to a Palm IIIx. (8 MB RAM, 16 mhz cpu - can be fairly well overclocked (made to run higher), and you should note that mhz is not as significant, IMHO with a Palm OS device as a Windows CE device.) The primary differences being USB sync (which is a good bit faster than serial), and the ability to accept springboard modules.
The springboard modules are what tipped me over to the Visor Deluxe more so than anything else. (See Handsprings website) However, I'll admit that none of them have been things I've wanted or needed badly enough to shell out the dough, so the springboard slot sits idly unused.

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

1995 4.6L Thunderbird LX in Electric Red -- R.I.P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-11-24 05:53 ]</font>

#5 ·
Like previous replys state, "It all depends on what you want to do with the device". At work we have tried the Palm OS and the MS CE/Pocket PC OS. All of our users want the ability to have a fast, reliable and durable handheld device. After using these different devices, Palm and MS, all of our users prefer the Palm OS. The overwhelming reason was reliability and speed. The MS devices, (Compaq Ipaq, HP Jornada, Casio Cassiopeia, etc...) were all rated poor by our users due to the typical MS lockups and slow speed. Therefore, we choose and continue to use the different Palm OS devices. One of the more feature laden devices is the Sony Clie, http://www.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/, and the new Palm M125.

Personally & Professionally, I use the Palm M505. The only thing I would change on it is to have a screen like the Compaq Ipaq, but then I would not get the 1.5+ weeks charge out of the battery.

Good luck...

#6 ·
many thanks to everyone , it has been a big help... I have narrowed it down toa aplm 505 or sony clie...... jason is about to turn 18 and head to college so I am hopeful he will still be able to use this there..
no games.,.. notes... etc... appreciate all the inmput...if you all can think of anything else or have any suggestions they would be happily recieved..thanks again all

#7 ·
Sounds like you already have a good start towards choosing, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've used several Palm's and several Handspring Visor's. My current and favorite of all is the Visor Prism, and I think it provides the best of all worlds. It has a better looking color screen than the Palm, has the rechargeable battery, and has the springboard module slot that makes it more expandable than any of the other Palm OS PDA's. I wouldn't trade it for anything, yet! I think the PDA world advances in dog years, because they keep getting better. :smile:

:bullitt:

#8 ·
Also!! If he's going to try to realistically use this for college you should be certain to get one of the collapsable keyboards for it. Or be certain that it has voice recording ability for lecture time.
Good luck again and happy hunting!!

#9 ·
To add my 2 cents, I have been using a Visor Prisim for over one year now. Upload and sync my schedule, to-do's, address book and Micrsoft Outlook. Wouldn't leave home without it.

If you order it on line, you save the taxes, but pay nominal shipping. :-B

#10 ·
I really want to add my 2cents worth.... I'm a computer Dumba$$ and my Palm 5x kicks ass... I use to have a note book where I kept all my notes on the jets I have in my squadron. Now I keep it in my handy palm what great invention, I have everything, MODs done to the jets, inspections coming due, Major maint needed next scheduled down time. Meetings I go to. And anything and I mean anything I want to keep record of.... Plus with the security feature I keep noisy shipmates out of the loop.
Plus I got some cool games to play while awaiting the next recovery onboard USS George Washington.
Oh by the way the Navy bought it for me. Thank You Uncle Sam....For making my Life easier.
I think your youngster will get great use out of what ever you choose... I've heard the Palm 505 is even better than my 5X.

#13 ·
TexasBullitt

Price is the key. You really can't go wrong with a Visor. They have the best bang for the the buck. I have a custom computer/networking business and just about everyone I know has a Visor. Visors cost less than a Palm but they blow the doors of of them.

To help you out here is a link to handspring. You can get a color Visor for $299.

http://www.handspring.com/products/visorfamily/index.jhtml?prod_cat_name=Family

2001 Mustang Bullitt #2075
Dark Highland Green
MGW Interior pieces
MGW License Frame without GT Logos
Densecharger
Tri-Ax
Sequential Tail Lights

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt 2075 on 2001-11-27 11:05 ]</font>

#14 ·
I've been a Visor user for just over two years now. My Visor Deluxe is still a great tool and toy. I would heartily endorse any of the Handspring devices over the Palm devices.

The Sony Clie is damn awesome! It combines the glory that is the PalmOS with the one thing Palm has been lagging behind the PocketPC horde in: MULTIMEDIA. I can't tell you how many time's I've had to listen to WinCE Nazis say "sure, yours works well, too, but MINE PLAYS MP3S!!!!" and similar comments. Clie brings native multimedia support to a Palm device, which itself is a beautiful thing considering the price. You'd spend that much more for Handspring modules to do the same job. The one thing I despise Sony for is the Memory Stick. Sure, it works, but so do all of the industry _STANDARD_ flash memory devices. Why, oh why, did they have to make their own stupid interface? All things considered, though, that's a relatively minor gripe. Clie rocks if you've got the cash!

So, get a Handspring if you prize "real work usage" over "lotsa glittery toys." Get the Clie if you want the biggest, baddest mofo on the PDA block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.