Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so we put 2180 on the trailer and was all set to take her to Kimnach Ford to get fixed You all know that story! "New floor pan, new frame rails, new inner panel, new the really LONG list goes on! So the next door neighbors x- husband drives up and makes small talk. Ask where we are taking the car to get it fixed? I tell him my plans and he goes into a lot of detail about why he wouldn't take it there (by the way he owns a body shop) He didn't start out by saying you should bring it to my shop he just said if you want a Ford dealership to fix it I would suggest and he gave me the names to 2 body shops and told me that the body guys at those dealership get paid salary instead by the book hour which means they won't be looking for other things to change just to get paid more hours. He made very good arguments as to why he would NOT do the whole floor pan. All of them made good sense to me. Now the big question do I stick with the dealer or take it to this guy! I am going by his shop Tomorrow which by the way is only 5 miles from my house instead of 15 miles. He told me I can come by as much as I want to take pictures. I am really at a loss as to what to do! He does have the laser frame machine so he has the right equipment and he does a lot of work for Progressive insurance! I am going by there tomorrow to look at some of his work in progress and to make a decision? Any thoughts? I could really use some input!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like your doing the right thing, check things out that he is working on and see what they look like. He seems interested in the Bullitt and you can visit and check on the work. Hopefully there is no bad blood with you being his x's neighbor!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rare Pony said:
Hopefully there is no bad blood with you being his x's neighbor!
I don't think there is, he is over there all the time. He also had a write-up in the local paper. I wish his shop would have been open today!

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Good question! I have only had one body shop work on our cars in the past fifteen years. And that is Sam Pack's Five Star Ford. My son virtually tore the drivers door off his ZX2 when it rolled backwards (downhill) at a car wash. He had failed to properly set the parking brake. They fixed it so well, not even I could tell the difference between the left and right sides, and I saw the work in progress. But maybe that isn't a good example as it was a new car at the time and easier to hide the differences? IDK.

Normally, I get three bids from three different shops that want the job. I have had bids from people that didn't want the job and it showed in that they were all talk about everything that had to be done, and then gave me some large bid. I skipped those fellas. They were just being courtious. Look their work over on other cars to see if it's up to your standards. If it isn't, why consider that shop any further?

Bottom line is go where you trust them to do the job right, and then be sure to inspect the work in progress and ask questions before, during and after. If your very interested in the outcome, chances are they will be too. And consequently you will get what you want.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
I would check it out and if it looks like a good place go with him. At least he is willing to discuss the repair. He could have just as easily said nothing and if you went with him charge you to replae the entire floorpan.. What kind of warranty does he offer on his work?

Most dealers are getting rid of their body shops and farming it out to independents down this way. Sell the shop the parts and don't have the liability of employees.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
droopysbullitt said:
At least he is willing to discuss the repair.
This is really why I am thinking about gong with him! Gail and I stopped by the dealership Friday to pay for the last of the parts and to stop by the body shop to discuss bringing 2180 in. They had someone in the office so we were going to wait until they were through to talk to them since I wanted to spend a few minutes with them to let them know my standards and to again get a feel for their work. They kind of rushed us into talking to them with the other people in the office and then they kind of rushed us through our discussion. We were both kind of turned off by it but just wrote it off at the time due to they were busy This guy took an hour of his time on a Sunday and basically wasn't TRYING to get us to use him but was instead telling us that he didn't think the dealer was the way to go! He gave me the name of about 5 different body shops that he would recommend over the dealer. He really seems like a car guy!

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Good question! I have only had one body shop work on our cars in the past fifteen years. And that is Sam Pack's Five Star Ford. My son virtually tore the drivers door off his ZX2 when it rolled backwards (downhill) at a car wash. He had failed to properly set the parking brake. They fixed it so well, not even I could tell the difference between the left and right sides, and I saw the work in progress. But maybe that isn't a good example as it was a new car at the time and easier to hide the differences? IDK.

Normally, I get three bids from three different shops that want the job. I have had bids from people that didn't want the job and it showed in that they were all talk about everything that had to be done, and then gave me some large bid. I skipped those fellas. They were just being courtious. Look their work over on other cars to see if it's up to your standards. If it isn't, why consider that shop any further?

Bottom line is go where you trust them to do the job right, and then be sure to inspect the work in progress and ask questions before, during and after. If your very interested in the outcome, chances are they will be too. And consequently you will get what you want.
I agree with what David said...makes sense...my .02

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I would say go deal with the ex-neighbor.....He seems more to give you a "personal
touch" and that he really cares and takes pride in his shop...That you can't find too much now a days....I'm sure his workmanship will speak for itself....My friend recommend a shop that his work uses, I went there and had the Bullitt bumpers repainted and he had it done in less than two days and they look great...I recommended him to my brother and he had his Jaguar front bumper repainted...He's happy with the work....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Seems like the best thing to do is to look at some repairs the guy's shop has done to judge their quality. I definitely would want to talk to someone who has had work done by him.

·
Administrator
6,210 Posts
dennisbaker said:
Seems like the best thing to do is to look at some repairs the guy's shop has done to judge their quality. I definitely would want to talk to someone who has had work done by him.
Ditto! I've had one place where I've taken cars over the years, and I had 5 verbal recos from people I know before I settled on it. I checked their cars as well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone that replied. You just confirmed what I was already thinking! I dropped 2180 off at Contour auto body in Virginia Beach today! I walked through their facility which I thought was very clean for a body shop, (that means a lot, basic house keeping is important!) state of the art paint booth and 2 laser frame machines. I looked at cars in all state of repair from just got there to ready to roll out the door. They didn't have any problems letting me look at everything, I opened doors and looked at door jams, took a good long look at a car they were prepping for paint to my untrained eye and having just painted the front and rear bumper covers a few months ago it looked good (to me)! I tried to find a flaw in every paint job in the shop but didn't see any. I think I made the right decision. I let them know that I would be there VERY OFTEN to take pictures and ask questions. No one even batted an eye about it. I must admit I forgot the camera today but I will have pictures soon! I also need to get the last of the tear down pictures shrunk and posted. I will work on that tomorrow night. One of the body shop guys ask about the frame rail connectors and I told him they were factory and he looked at me like I was crazy then ask if I meant they were on the car when I bought it from the previous owner. I told him no it was part of the Bullitt edition Mustang and he said you mean like the movie, at which point I walked them around the car and filled them in. I think I made the right choice! I guess we will all see together as I update you with pictures.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
That's already better than the place that is doing the L. I asked to go back and see the truck while they are working on it and they refused to let me in the shop. They used the old "insurance doesn't allow it" line. If the truck wasn't already torn down I would have changed shops right then. We are supposed to pick it up this afternoon. Then I'll know if I made a mistake or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts