Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling the trigger on mods is a daunting task. I have spent a few weeks now tearing the hair out of my head trying to figure out what I want to do. I want to do something but this is complicated.

Here is my plan for the immediate future:

SCT Tuner (already bought)
XFI NSR COMP CAMS STAGE 2 CAM
Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates
Kooks Long Tube Headers & Catted H-Pipe
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

Here is my plan for a year out:

Panhard Bars
Control Arms
Black Shelby GT500 wheels
Nice gooey pavement eating wide tires

Here is my plan for 2-3 years out:

Aluminum Driveshaft
Saleen Supercharger

Anything to add? Anything to take away? Minus cosmetics this I think would complete my performance mods. Is there a glaring mistake? I believe the Steeda Underdrive Pulleys will become useless once I get the supercharger. My thinking though is that I will get enough use out of them for a couple years while I wait to get the supercharger.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was gonna go your route with the comp cams 2 but I would check out the ford racing hot cams. I believe they put out around the same HP and give it that sixties style sound. Also they come out to be a little cheaper because they dont require the phase limiters like the comp cams do (according to ford).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since a SC will add all the HP our engines will take I would skip everything you have planned in the immediate future and go right to year out plan, add the alum drive shaft and one year later SC. Underdrive pulleys are nice but you will have to toss them when you SC.

The heads, headers and delete plates are fine for N/A but the stock stuff is fine for SC so you are spending it for no ultimate gain.

It is a different story if you want to build your crank and rods, ect. to take some serious pressure, then better flow is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you want to go fast,listen to chet on the above post. What he is telling you is great advice, besides saving you money on parts that are not needed. What ever you do just be happy.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hmmm, my humble opinion, do the mods in the following order:

1) Wheels and Tires (get the power you have now to the ground effectively and be ready for more power later - no use adding 200 hp if you can't get the power to the ground)

2) Suspension (Now that it sticks to the road properly, make it handle even better - take advantage of your new found traction. Now you don't get wheel hop all the time and you can clearly out-handle any charger or camaro you come across)

3) Now start adding the power - and I would do the cams and blower at the same time, then you can get a good matching blower grind to take proper advantage of each other. Headers/exhaust can be done before or after, but I would do the exhaust first then the blower.

I know there is little need to do the exhaust when blowing these cars, but I am old school and doing the intake side without touching the exhaust just seems wrong...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with these ideas. If you are looking at a blower anyway, make that your first engine mod (I would recommend after tire and suspension upgrades though) The UDPs and plates will not be compatible with a supercharger anyway, so why spend the $400 or so on them. Additionally both yield relatively small gains, and the delete plates are at best a compromise, they appear to give up some bottom end torque in exchange for a few hp on the top end.

Long tubes will help na or blown motors, so you can't go wrong there. As for cams, you need to select a grind that works with a supercharger, they are very sensitive to overlap, and a good na grind may be a disaster with a blower. I don't know if the cams being discussed here would be advisable with a boosted engine, I suspect they might not be.

One more thing, I would suggest a brake upgrade. I sometimes sound like a broken record, but these are heavy cars that are already relatively fast (in my humble opinion a mid to high 13 second car capable of 150mph is at the very least "relatively" fast) and they need better brakes. Add 100 hp, and the need for improvement in the brake department becomes more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Lambo said:
One more thing, I would suggest a brake upgrade. I sometimes sound like a broken record, but these are heavy cars that are already relatively fast (in my humble opinion a mid to high 13 second car capable of 150mph is at the very least "relatively" fast) and they need better brakes. Add 100 hp, and the need for improvement in the brake department becomes more pronounced.
Thank you, yes. I forgot to mention that earlier, brakes before blower as far as I am concerned. even at stock power levels I find the brakes marginal, though better shoes will help this to, but probably not enough to suit me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Start at the beginning.

I've completed a half dozen Mustang/Cougar projects in my lifetime and when I look back on the projects where I got into trouble, the mistakes I made were at the very beginning--when I wasn't absolutely positive about what kind of car I was trying to complete and how much money I budgeted for the project.

So, ask yourself: What am I shooting for? A drag car? A corner carving track car? A daily driver with enough umph to lay waste to the mullet in the Camaro next to me?

Once you've answered that question, then ask yourself how much money you are willing to commit in TOTAL.

Then the list of mods will become obvious.

Lastly, if you're shooting for the most power for the dollar spent, a supercharger is almost always the best choice. It seems expensive in the short run, but when you consider what you get in return for the life of the car, it's a money well spent.

Good luck.

INFIDEL

·
Registered
83 Posts
CVA said:
Since a SC will add all the HP our engines will take I would skip everything you have planned in the immediate future and go right to year out plan, add the alum drive shaft and one year later SC. Underdrive pulleys are nice but you will have to toss them when you SC.

The heads, headers and delete plates are fine for N/A but the stock stuff is fine for SC so you are spending it for no ultimate gain.

It is a different story if you want to build your crank and rods, ect. to take some serious pressure, then better flow is a good thing.
r u saying the there will be little or minimum gain from LT Headers after a supercharger is added? I was going to do Kook's LT, HF w/H-pipe, then the edelbrock e-force. But if the $1300 for the LTs will be wasted, I'll just keep saving for the SC.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice - revised

Panhard Bars
Control Arms

Aluminum Driveshaft
GT500 Brake kit

Here is my plan for 2 years out:

Kooks Long Tube Headers & Catted H-Pipe

Here is my plan for 3 years out:

Saleen Supercharger

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
INFIDEL said:
I've completed a half dozen Mustang/Cougar projects in my lifetime and when I look back on the projects where I got into trouble, the mistakes I made were at the very beginning--when I wasn't absolutely positive about what kind of car I was trying to complete and how much money I budgeted for the project.

So, ask yourself: What am I shooting for? A drag car? A corner carving track car? A daily driver with enough umph to lay waste to the mullet in the Camaro next to me?

Once you've answered that question, then ask yourself how much money you are willing to commit in TOTAL.

Then the list of mods will become obvious.

Lastly, if you're shooting for the most power for the dollar spent, a supercharger is almost always the best choice. It seems expensive in the short run, but when you consider what you get in return for the life of the car, it's a money well spent.

Good luck.

INFIDEL
INFIDEL,

I was thinking <15k over 3-4 years on performance. With my list I am at about 12k w/o installation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

Easystreet said:
INFIDEL,

I was thinking <15k over 3-4 years on performance. With my list I am at about 12k w/o installation.
That's a reasonable budget, Jason. I think you're going to have a really nice car!

You might want to reconsider the wheel/tire replacement--at least not at Phase One. At that performance level, you're not going to notice a big performance difference and replacing the wheels and tires is an expensive modification. Probably $1400-1600, right?

May be better to save that money to get you to your s/c that much faster!

Anyway, enjoy yourself and drive carefully!

INFIDEL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Airjeir said:
r u saying the there will be little or minimum gain from LT Headers after a supercharger is added? I was going to do Kook's LT, HF w/H-pipe, then the edelbrock e-force. But if the $1300 for the LTs will be wasted, I'll just keep saving for the SC.

When you consider the stock engine and any SC that can get you 450 to 500 hp, my opinion is that you do not need headers of any kind. See the KB site, they have tested a lot and the stock exhaust can flow up to 550 hp.

Heads and headers flow better but if you boost you can supass the ability of the stock block to survive the power before you supass the ability of the stock heads and exhaust to flow. Again if you ultimatly want to build the bottom end, you can do all kinds of stuff and boost a lot more, on and on and on. I put about 10K in my Bullitt and although I have not got to the dyno yet it will be close to the results SHOWA got. That is the edge of what you can do with the stock engine. Only about half of what I put in (parts only) was power adder the rest was foundation.

It is wide open, good advise above is to determine your objective so you don't do things over or things that are not necessary. So many people here and on other sites have gone done these roads that if you can separate the facts from some fiction almost any level of performance has a template to follow. That's the beauty of the Mustangs, it's a blank slate of a very good performance/muscle car that's affordable with hundreds of ways to modify them to suit the individual. Good luck, do the work yourself it you can and enjoy the satisfaction in any case.

·
Registered
317 Posts
IMO, whatever you do, don't change the exhaust.

Once you remove the h-pipe and the mufflers, the sound becomes one of probably 100,000 mustangs, not 1 of 7000.

I read all sorts of mustang forums and everyone gets LT headers from kooks or mac or this and that and everyone gets the KR mufflers or corsa or magnaflow.

The piddly hp increase you get IMO does not out-weigh the unique sound we have with our Bullitt's.

If you need to have people hearing you 3 blocks down the road, by all means get the new full exhaust.

/2 cents

For what it's worth, Roush perfromance won't warranty a car with aftermarket headers.

Their top tier mustang, the P-51 has 510 HP and 510 ft/lb or torque on the stock headers.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
screaming_pc said:

Once you remove the h-pipe and the mufflers, the sound becomes one of probably 100,000 mustangs, not 1 of 7000.

I read all sorts of mustang forums and everyone gets LT headers from kooks or mac or this and that and everyone gets the KR mufflers or corsa or magnaflow.

The piddly hp increase you get IMO does not out-weigh the unique sound we have with our Bullitt's.

If you need to have people hearing you 3 blocks down the road, by all means get the new full exhaust.

/2 cents

For what it's worth, Roush perfromance won't warranty a car with aftermarket headers.

Their top tier mustang, the P-51 has 510 HP and 510 ft/lb or torque on the stock headers.
This is the EXACT thing I am wrestling with...

Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once again these forums deliver.

Seriously awesome advice guys. I talked with Seth at Brenspeed and he pretty much says the exact same things you guys have said.

screaming_pc said:
I kind of had this exact same thought. I love our exhaust. After reading this and talking with Seth on the subject we all seem to agree the stock exhaust will do the job just fine.

So I think here is my final build order.

Panhard Bars/Brace (already bought)
Control Arms (already bought)
Aluminum Driveshaft

GT500 Brake kit

Here is my plan for 2 years out:

Saleen Supercharger

With the removal of the Kooks it should allow me to get the supercharger on at least 6 months to a year sooner.

I really appreciate everybody's help. I feel sane again.

- Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cool, thanks guys... I'll skip the headers and just keep saving for the Edelbrock e-Force, Heck now I'm 20% there....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts