Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change the plugs today and the 3rd plug from the front on the passenger side decided to break off in the head. I can see the electrode and the lower threads in there...what can I do??? Do they make tools to get that piece out or am I going to have to pull the head??? Im freaking out so any help would be critical right now!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hold on I'll find what I know real fast and link you.

Nope... I was thinking the Archives had something but the only article in there is covering a spark plug blow out.

Sorry.

There has got to be a kit or maybe long left hand drill bits as well as long ease outs at Sears?. Heck if I know. But I wish you the best of luck getting it out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford parts dept says that the only thing I can do is use an easy out and heat the head up...otherwise I'm going to have to take it in to get the head fixed. I knew as soon as I heard it broke that it was going to be a can of worms, made me want to puke :frown:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yeah it worries me every time I change them.. I do hate the plugs down in those holes!!

I've got a call into the only Mech. that I trust and I'll post up his findings when he calls back. I've also posted up on another site to see what they say.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts
the part the socket goes over is gone? you can pull the head and twist it out from the cylender side. i would do that befor i would try and nock the plug out any other way. you dont wanna hurt the head. you can try using a chisle and hitting parts of the plug on an angle to try and spin it out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GOOD NEWS - PICS

:eek: Finally got the damn thing out of the spark plug socket. The bottom electrode shield broke free from the spark plug socket nut, causing the shield to get stuck in the head. I went to autozone and bought an easy out that was close to the size of the inner spark plug threads. Also, they have similar fine and coarse easy outs. You want to get the FINE threaded ones if this happens to you. Thay way you have more area inside the shield to put force on. Here are some pictures:

I hope this is of some help to anybody who gets put in my shoes. Its not fun I'll tell you that much. I felt like puking all day I was so upset at the situation. Thanks to steelfalcon for the quick help, it definately made me feel better knowing there are tools out there that can extract the shields.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
good job..now its miller time

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
I hope this is of some help to anybody who gets put in my shoes. Its not fun I'll tell you that much. I felt like puking all day I was so upset at the situation. Thanks to steelfalcon for the quick help, it definately made me feel better knowing there are tools out there that can extract the shields.
No Problem.

After seeing the situation you were in it got me worried because I don't tend to have the best luck so I wanted to know the answer to this problem before it happens to me. :lol:

Glad everything came out ok and hopefully your back on the road again!! :b01:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. According to the other forums, this is a common probelm with the 2v F150 trucks and newer 3v mustangs. If I could recommend one piece of advice - if any of your plugs hang at all or give a little more resistance than expeced, stop what you are doing and spray the spark plug hole down with lubricant oil. It's not worth breaking one off just because you got impatient.

You have to think about my situation though - 75K miles on the clock and the plugs have never been changed. NEVER been changed. The idiots that had cupcake before me apparently decided not to maintain her very well. One of the plugs was so bad that I could fit the .080 gap wire in the electrode! I had:

6 x ASWF-32P plugs
1 x ASWF-32FM plug (??)
1 x ASWF-32PM plug

So it had the 6 originals plus the two replacements. I can't believe that I didn't change these things earlier. I'm so glad to have finally gotten that thing out, you guys have no idea.

What still intrigues me is this - after the plug/coil change (I put in brand new coils too), I noticed the engine was running a little bit differently. What tipped me off was the exhaust note. Instead of the usual mellow pulsing, it sounded more like cammed motor: blam-blam-blam-blam-blam. This to me was interesting. So I sat in the garage and listened to it idle for any anomolies or signs of trouble. Notihing to me seemed out of the ordinary except for a stronger sounding exhaust note. So finally after about 5-10 minutes of idling it was like the computer magically re-adjusted the timing right in front of me and it returned to it's normal familar tone! WHY did this happen??? I'm curioous to see if anyone else has experienced this happening before.

The only thing I can think of here is that the old plugs had thrown the timing way off and the comuter was re-adjusting itself. What an amazing machine if this is the case. Overall I'm so glad I was able to give the motor new life :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
when i put my new xpipe on, the car was running real rich and stank lol....and a few moments later it stopped and smelt normal lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts