Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on the way home from the show in Winston-Salem today my a/c decided to stop working about half way home. I just turned it off and turned it back on about 20 minutes later and it seemed fine. When i got home however i could hear a loud clanking noise coming from under the hood. So i popped the hood and it was coming from one of the pulleys it seemed like. The ac was off at this point so i turend it on and it got better but as soon as i would turn it off it would get loud and click and clank and the tensioner would move in and out...what could this be. Any help?

·
Registered
250 Posts
That would be the AC clutch. The reason you don't hear the noise when you have the AC on is because its engaged. When the AC is off, the plates kind of float around and are not locked up to run the compressor. Mine was doing the same thing and I was able to buy a new AC clutch and since nothing else was wrong with the AC, just had it replaced. I would have done it myself, but the instructions called for some special tools and had information about using the proper shims I believe.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We replaced our A/C clutches with the one from Advanced Auto Parts, for $100. It's a FoMoCo OEM replacement. Also slapped on a new drive belt while we were at it the Gatorback #4060945 for $25 more. The shop that did the work charged $50 labor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The shop where I had mine done charges about the same, 50 bucks....not to bad a deal and it fixed the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts