Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I really like Mustangs, all types from the Coupe to the SVT to the Roush. I have to say I find the Bullit and SVT the modt impressive. The looks great, and from what I hear performs great. Here is my problem...

My dad wants a new convertible with automatic transmission. He enjoys Mustang's somewhat as well (hardly an loyal-follower, however) I REALLY want him to look into the Bullit but the only Manual and only hard-top really throw him off. He says he will never learn to drive manual. I think it doesnt take long and he should. Somone please help me with some arguments to get him to buy this great car. I appreciate it.

-NecroStang

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not wanting to learn standard isn't really an excuse. I speak from personal experience. I had never owned a standard, and had hardly driven one, before I picked up #968 on May 15. I knew the theory, but needed practice. I was adequate after a week. Now, I'm not perfect, and I'm not very good at accelerating quickly from a standing start, but I'm doing fairly well. I've gotten to the point that driving my wife's auto is uncomfortable, and I push an imaginary clutch. :smile:

The convertible thing, though, is tough to get around. If he's really REALLY set on getting one, do your best to make sure he doesn't buy Bullitt badging and fake it. Or even worse, buy a Bullitt and cut it up! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
OK, first of all just pretend it looks like rain and leave the top up.
Transmission wise, don't think you have to learn how to shift all 5 gears,with the torque the Bullitt has, just use 1,3 and 5 so already we have reduced the manual effort by 40%!!! As far as reverse goes just don't park where you have to back up..

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a friend who bought a new 98 WS6 Ram Air TA 6-speed without knowing how to drive a stick. He had another friend drive it home & he learned how to drive a manual on his sister's car. A week later he was good enough to drive the TA. It took him much longer to learn how to race it, though. But the point is, driving a stick doesn't take too much time, just a little practice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If he must have a convertible auto, there is a prime example still for sale in my area of Southeastern PA. It's a rare, 2000 convertible Spring Feature with an auto. Zinc Yellow with Black interior. Probably the nicest convertible 'stang I've seen in a while. It's probably going to sell for a song ($21K?). I hope your wishes come true!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tell your dad that there are two types of people out there.

1- People who buy and drive fast cars with manual transmissions who like to squeal the tires and jam through the gears. They can draw their car's torque curve on a napkin and know how much drag radial can improve their ET. These people drink beer or Jack Daniels and like to watch football and junkyard wars. These people are known as Bullittheads.

2- People who like to buy and drive cute automatics and maybe cruise around real slow with the top down. These people do not want to drive a manual because it is "too hard". The most important thing about the car is the color and they don't know a torque curve from a hole in the ground. These people drink shirley temples or wine coolers and like to watch Oprah and The View. These people are known as girls.

Hope your dad isn't really a girl. My advice is to move out as soon as possible, get a job and buy your own Bullitt.

2001 Bullitt #1585

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-08-22 19:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can close this topic, cause I think Catsmasher summed it up perfectly. It is cool that you appreciate the car Necrostang, bad that your old man doesn't (especially because odds are he has already missed the boat on buying one). Again, there are two types of people: those who drive Bullitts, and everybody else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts