Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I thought I'd pass along this helpful hoodflex suggestion. I've searched the threads and didn't see where anyone else had tried it but it worked for me.

BACKGROUND: Installed the MRT hood struts this weekend and went for a test drive. I'd previously had mild hood flutter and gotten rid of it by adusting the bump stops up. But on test drive day, I was going straight into a Texas 20+ mph headwind so 80 mph was more like 100 and I got the flutter. Didn't know whether to blame that on a different alignment with MRT or just the conditions, but I pulled over a couple of times and adjusted the bumps up even further. The flutter was still there and it just made the hood nearly impossible to close.

So back in the comfort in the garage, I loosend the hood latch, lowered it, and wound down each bump stop and started over on the adjustments.

Obviously some bump stops seemed to make contact, some didn't, and I wasn't sure what to do.

Enter tire dressing. I applied a generous amount to the top of the 4 adjustable hood stop bumps and closed it as usual. By opening the hood back up and looking at the underside, the tire dressing leaves a residue that shows how tightly each stop is pressed against the hood when closed. I could determine which bump stops were making solid contact and tight or even overly tight(one); which ones were about correct (two); which ones were barely touching and needed rotated out half a turn (one) and which ones weren't touching at all (one). Wipe off residue, make adjustments and repeat.

I was satisfied with it on the second try and went for another test ride. Glass smooth hood along with the selfish satisfaction of knowing I probably did a better job that the dealer or even a body shop.

"C Students Rule the World" --Harry S. Truman

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Nick
Way to go, and thanks for sharing. I would guess each car's adjustment would be an individual trial and error solution but this adds hope that we can all eliminate the very discomforting prospect of the hood popping up and catching on the safety at high, er, I mean normal speed. Were the MRT struts a simple install as well?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MRT = Piece of Cake. If you're not a wrencher or feel like you need confidence, this is the mod for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The bumpers will leave witness marks in the paint if you look closely. You'll be able to tell which ones are making contact or not. I've been flutter free for a year now doing to same adjustment.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
NickChildress said:
Hi All:

I thought I'd pass along this helpful hoodflex suggestion. I've searched the threads and didn't see where anyone else had tried it but it worked for me.

BACKGROUND: Installed the MRT hood struts this weekend and went for a test drive. I'd previously had mild hood flutter and gotten rid of it by adusting the bump stops up. But on test drive day, I was going straight into a Texas 20+ mph headwind so 80 mph was more like 100 and I got the flutter. Didn't know whether to blame that on a different alignment with MRT or just the conditions, but I pulled over a couple of times and adjusted the bumps up even further. The flutter was still there and it just made the hood nearly impossible to close.

So back in the comfort in the garage, I loosend the hood latch, lowered it, and wound down each bump stop and started over on the adjustments.

Obviously some bump stops seemed to make contact, some didn't, and I wasn't sure what to do.

Enter tire dressing. I applied a generous amount to the top of the 4 adjustable hood stop bumps and closed it as usual. By opening the hood back up and looking at the underside, the tire dressing leaves a residue that shows how tightly each stop is pressed against the hood when closed. I could determine which bump stops were making solid contact and tight or even overly tight(one); which ones were about correct (two); which ones were barely touching and needed rotated out half a turn (one) and which ones weren't touching at all (one). Wipe off residue, make adjustments and repeat.

I was satisfied with it on the second try and went for another test ride. Glass smooth hood along with the selfish satisfaction of knowing I probably did a better job that the dealer or even a body shop.

"C Students Rule the World" --Harry S. Truman

Nick

Thanks for the safety information - the proper adjustment of our hood bumpers to minimize hood flutter is one "mod" that we will all want to make. (Of course, Ford should have done at the factory!!)

One clarification please - how can you tell from the tire dressing residue "which ones were about correct"?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dodging Bullitt said:
Nick

Thanks for the safety information - the proper adjustment of our hood bumpers to minimize hood flutter is one "mod" that we will all want to make. (Of course, Ford should have done at the factory!!)

One clarification please - how can you tell from the tire dressing residue "which ones were about correct"?
Full contact 'looks about right'....it'll clearly show the outline of the bump stop. Too tight or too much contact and you'll see the tire dressing squeezed out much more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Nick

Nick

Thanks - that makes sense!

When I took #2833 into my Ford dealer to have the hood latch and bumpers, service told me they would adjust the hood bumpers (but I'll double check the adjustment this spring using your technique) - but service also told me that the hood latch is not adjustable. Of course, it now appears that that is not the case. What is involved in lowering the hood latch?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fantastic tech tip. I had the hood flutters at 60+ m.p.h. Just finished the adjustment as per your procedure. Oh, I did use paste wax instead of tire dressing. Two of the four stops were not touching the hood AFTER I lowered the latch all the way. some slight adjustments and problem solved. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts