Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really jealous reading about all you Bullittheads driving hard and having fun! Well I've been taking it sort of easy shifting around 5000rpm. Chirping second was easy but third has been eluding me. Today I finally turned over 500 miles on the speedometer. Well, time for a celebration. Got on the freeway and stopped dead. (boy thats dangerous eh?) Anyway, I've been waiting days for this.... Did a hole shot at about 3000, nice. Shifted right at the red line to 2. nice chirp. red line again to 3 and bingo... chirp!! Eha!! you all must think I'm nuts, but wow what a feeling. Brand new for me. give me a break, its a ho hum for all of you, but I feel so good I may spend the night in my car!! LOL. Anyhow, were having fun now huh? Take car everyone, and may our roads be dry, Dave P.S. I was over 100 MPH too! Boy, it sure got there in a hurry

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ahhhh, well done grasshoppa, you are one with the universe and your fellow Bullittheads welcome you into the Brotherhood (Sisterhood too)!!!!

Cool!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cool! You are now a member of the chirped 3rd club. :-B

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
OK OK OK!!!! Am I now the only one here who hasn't got third yet? :sad: I ttend to look at like I can get through the gears without chirping then I'll get a good time at the track when I make it there! lol
Cam

·
Registered
586 Posts
I must admit, I've never had a car that could chirp so many gears so easily. I remember tales of those rods chirpin' gears way back when. It's great fun doing basically a burnout while rolling along at about 40 MPH and I never thought I'd enjoy the pleasure in my own ride. I really don't think it's a tall order for most true performance cars, but Joe Average's popcorn machine never gets a chance at these thrills.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Woo-Hoo! Remember the first time I did it, too. It pretty much took me by surprise! Chirping 3rd NEVER gets old! Sometimes I'll hit second hard for no purpose other than to chirp as I go into third.

Joe

·
Registered
360 Posts
BullittXTC, chirping third is NEVER ho-hum. Congratulations!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't worry, you're not the only one that gets giddy. Two nights ago I was on my way home and the last turn before my subdivision has a nice, straight +/- 1 mile stretch of road. I got on it in 1st from a roll and fish-tailed, barked 2nd, barked 3rd and finally had to break before some RR tracks. When I got home, the wife asks "what are you so happy about?"

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's easier to chirp 3rd gear with the gas tank near empty.

BTW, if you want a sure fire way to chirp the tires at 55 mph, just shift into reverse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
With the torque we have the chirps are almost natural. I have a hard time not chirping first and second all of the time. Have done third many times as well. Puts a [email protected] eating grin on my face every time! :-B

·
Registered
92 Posts
I confess that I read this thread earlier today and just spent about 45 minutes driving up and down the street trying to chirp third... no luck. Dagnabbit, it's frustrating me. Any tips? I can hear a whine coming from the rear end on high-rev 2-3 shifts, but can't seem to spin the tires. And yea, tc is off.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait until your gas tank is less than half, no weight in the back, take second gear as close as you can to right at, or just barely before the red line, (5800rpm), and shift very quickly into 3rd releasing the cluch quickly, you'll get it. Boy it's gunna feel great!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I guess that any amount of power that's just enough to get tire squeal is right at the edge of what the driveline can take. It makes sense. Once you break loose and the tires are spinning easily, the force on the driveline reduces significantly. The worst point in breaking loose is the point just before it goes, when you have to overcome the coefficient of friction. It's easy to overcome from a standing start - but when you're in motion, there isn't as much excess power to get 'em to break.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chirped 3rd a few days ago after my wife asked me to take her for a ride. Was cake.

I never use the tach. I just listen and feel. I have always driven manual transmissions, about 17 years now.

I love my Bullitt =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts