Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think we could try warming them up with a blow dryer while the engine is still cold, then start up and drive and see if the ticking is gone?

Just trying to get creative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rented a Ford Taurus a month ago for a trip with Family. The Taurus had the same "ticking" as the Bullitt. I now have about 4500 miles on my Bullitt and don't notice the ticking.
ymmv

·
Registered
117 Posts
At this point, nobody knows what's making the sound. I have read that expeditions, Taurus, also have this ticking. My ticking has become more erratic and less uniform. It has been really cold here in the mornings and it sounds like it's getting worse. It sounds like metal tapping/scrapping together. It sends a chill up my spine just hearing it. My boor baby is suffering, we need to find the cause for this. Is Ford doing anything ? Anybody with any updates on this ticking? I'm going insane!

·
Registered
198 Posts
guys/gals:

don't forget 0685 was in for the ticking noise and they replaced the timing chain and tensioner and the noise is still there. they also inspected the vavle train for excessive play.

i too was told the ticking is the fuel rails.

i'll be a monkey's uncle if that is what it is.

i hear the injectors ticking (they are loud).

but everytime i listen to this i'm convinved its either detonation (really really bad detonation) or plain ole piston slap.

we're not the only ones either. numerous f-series and expeditions have this same problem.

lightnings have it too.

i've gotten into the habit of short shifting at 2500 rpm for the first two blocks i drive in the morning.

i almost forgot the noise was there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2000 GT does it all the time now. Once it warms up it is not as loud, but if you listen for it, it is still there. I still don't believe it is piston slap. Like I said before, I heard the same sound when I had the tire iron resting against the passenger side fuel rail and fuel line. When I placed it on the vavle cover, no noise. I am going to take some time this weekend and trace this problem to its source.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not really too bright about fuel injection systems. I remember carb stuff from the '70s.

I have to repeat it again:
If the fuel rails are the culprit, and it dissippates when warm, wouldn't warming the rails with a blow dryer and taking a test drive possibly diagnose the problem?

I'm not really following how removing a fuse could work. I'm under the impression that the motor would simply not run.

Any takers for some help here? Thanks, in advance.

DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-12-12 11:25 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
If the ticking is coming from the fuel pressure components, then removing the pressure by stopping the pump should immediatedly stop the ticking noise. UNLESS it also electrically shuts the brain down also. I looked at the schematic and it does not look like it does. The switch in the trunk is there incase of an accident it stops pumping fuel. The car should run for a few seconds because it would hold some pressure between the regulators and the rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you talking about the scraping valve train or piston slap noise when the engine is cold, or the ticking that sounds like an exhaust leak and happens under load at the same time pinging would occur (no pinging). My car has done this from day one. It does not happen with no load revving the engine. It is louder on the drivers side than the passengers side. I thought this was what the "fuel rails" issue was pertaining to, however, I put my car on a dyno to listen to the engine under load and you can't hear it leaning right over the engine, only inside the car. I have kind of quit worrying about it, but my guess is it may be the fuel pump or a fuel regulator under the car. Is the fuel pump in the tank or somewhere else? Maybe someone who knows can answer that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Scraping !! That is what mine sounds like now. It started out as a rhythmic tick, and now it is like an erratic scraping metal noise. I posted this somewhere earlier. I wish Ford would do something because I am worried about this!

·
Registered
255 Posts
#4456 has been ticking since about 500 miles on it and it now has 2500 miles. I was told by the "knowledgeable" mechanics that it was an exhaust leak and was told by Art Hyde that it was the fuel rail. I tend to believe Art because when i put my head closer to the engine, the sound was coming right from the injectors. The sound is much worse when it is cold outside and gets somewhat better when the car warms up but the sound never goes away. I have been VERY annoyed with this issue for months now but gave up on Ford doing anything to fix it. I have been very busy lately but after the holidays i am going to make it a point to take it to a different dealer and demand they start replacing things until the sound is gone, and if they have it more than 30 days then they bought it. :roll: This car is so damn awesome to drive but the ticking noise just irritates and embarasses me. If they would fix that problem i would be 110% happy about this car. Please Ford, step up to the plate. I am not holding my breath though, in this sh1t economy it is amazing anything is getting done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts