Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have 8000 miles on her and i "broke" mine in as i was going to drive it. I travel 600 miles a week, my question: the majority of my break in period was on the highway, 70-75 mph and 2000-2500 rpm, in the long run do you think this type of break in really makes a significant difference, when i wasn't on the highway i pretty well romped on it. i changed oil at 2000, 4500 and 8000. i dont have any problems but i was just seeking an opinion. thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuckshot on 2001-12-31 00:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your Bullitt is not exhibiting the knocking/ticking problem, that's good. Looking at some of the answers back at the poll I made (not too many so far) the noise(s) can start at anytime. Considering you got on it from the start and you haven't experienced the problem may mean it won't occur. I know alot of people here say you should romp on them from the get go because they are broke in at the factory. I don't go along with this kind of thinking mainly because the factory will run an engine in, so to speak, for a period not considered break in time. As has been said before in earlier threads on break-in, the engine won't fully be broken in for around 6k. This has been demonstrated by dyno numbers that have been taken at various mileages. Romping on the engine from the very begining can cause the rings to burn and not seat. This will show itself eventually in the consumption of oil. However, this is only my opinion and my experience with customer oil consumption complaints over the years. Anyway, people will treat their cars however they feel they should be treated and some will be lucky on not have oil problems.
The reason I called for a poll on the knocking/ticking problem was to try to corelate some sort of relation in driving habits between people with this problem. Will have to see how many people take the poll then, may be a commonality of the problem will show itself. Just have to wait and see. :grin:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
From my expierence,the way to break in a new engine,is to vary the RPMs and load. Don't go on a 2000 mile trip at a steady speed. Just a good variety of back road,highway,and hard acceleration runs.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I agree Mus408, I've always broke in my new cars the way I intend on driving them. This being my 8th new car, I can say that I have never had any kind of engine problems due to the way I drive. I've also done this with 3 motors I have built in my garage. From my perspective if you baby the engine from the outset then you might have problems when you want to drive it hard later on. Additionally, I've put between 80k - 175k miles on each of the cars/engines I've ever had and not one failure. Drive them, don't abuse them and change the oil regularly. It's always worked for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, my travels took me across RT 68 from Morgantown WV to Frederick, MD across the mountains, which actually varied my rpms so the break in was probably good, but no problems so far, except the brake squeal and the 1-2 shift snafu, which i've got a line on Redline oil and hopefully that will help. later, Happy New Year.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts