Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First my disclaimer: SKIP this post if you're looking for a sound clip. I don’t have one:frown: . I think the audio quality of most sound clips is "fair" at best and not often a good sample of what the system really sounds like. The honest truth -- I'm tired and I’m lazy. If you’re considering these 5GT's, I’d try to hear them on someone else’s car first. But if you’re interested in a few pics, here’s some on HG313.

In my opinion, Ford Engineers did an excellent job tuning the Bullitt exhaust note. It’s unique and right of the factory one of the best I’ve heard. I’m NOT trying to improve on a good thing. As a matter of fact, I want to hear more of it. December will be one year for 313 and even tho its sound has matured with the car, I still want more decibels! So stingers it is.

My first reaction after cranking the car was, “What have I done :eek: ??!! But once I drove it; that quickly turned into “Yes, yes, yes!!!” With a little bit of throttle, the car can go from nice to nasty in a second. A Bullitt will growl and pop like it’s nobody’s business. Except now I don’t have to roll down my windows anymore to hear it.

One thing I noticed about the stingers is their weight. A single stinger weighs 7.5 lbs and both are 15 lbs. A single Bullitt exhaust weighs 17 lbs, so 34 lbs for both. Aside from a couple bends and the perforated pipe inside the can, they’re almost straight through pipe. The embossed Ford Racing is a nice touch and I like the 3.5” tips. They leave me a bit more room for easier cleaning.

chip

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
chip,
those cans look really great on your car! i like the tips better than our factory tips also. did you do the install yourself?
Thanks. Nah, I didn't put 'em on. It's cold here in VA and I didn't feel like laying on the ground. I could have gone to the auto craft shop on base. They have a lift. Instead I just took it to a local muffler shop.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlackPony said:
]Listen up, here they are on My Bullitt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhUqD7iK8w&feature=email
Those Axle-backs made my Bullitt PERFECT!
BlackPony, you don't know how many times I listened to your clip. It's one of the few I really like and actually helped me make my decision on these pipes. Just the Bullitt exhaust and FRPP axle-backs. No need to pump real heavy revs. The car has a nice deep growl at low RPM, even when decelerating. Good job and thanks.:rolling:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Chip,
I LOVE your SHR louvers!
I can't wait to install a set on my Bullitt.
Did you install them ,and was it easy?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlackPony said:
Chip,
I LOVE your SHR louvers!
I can't wait to install a set on my Bullitt.
Did you install them ,and was it easy?
Thanks "Pony." The louvers were ANOTHER matter I thought long and hard about. Pulling perfectly good glass from a new car is ...well... a little krazy:confused:. But now that it's done I'm satisfied with the results. I had my local body shop do the install. Thanks to a teenage son, I got to know them pretty well and trust their work and charges. Go to Silver Horse Racing's website. They've got instructions you can look at to see if you want to tackle the job yourself. It doesn't look too difficult, but I know my limits. A good install is: a "flush" mount, a nice paint match, and most important, no leaks. If you choose a body or glass shop, don't pay anymore than if you were having a broken quarter window replaced. It's no different.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Did the people that installed it say it was a straight orward install? Also I like the sound of my stock bullitt, does it still sound like the stock bullitt sound just louder? Also if anyone wants them 50resto.com has them for 399

·
Registered
263 Posts
chip721 said:
BlackPony, you don't know how many times I listened to your clip. It's one of the few I really like and actually helped me make my decision on these pipes. Just the Bullitt exhaust and FRPP axle-backs. No need to pump real heavy revs. The car has a nice deep growl at low RPM, even when decelerating. Good job and thanks.:rolling:
Ditto. My next mod :smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
j0eyabs said:
Did the people that installed it say it was a straight orward install? Also I like the sound of my stock bullitt, does it still sound like the stock bullitt sound just louder? Also if anyone wants them 50resto.com has them for 399
Mike,

No mention of any problems with the install. Manager came out of his shop, saw the Bullitt and complimented me on my car. He got on his hands and knees to look at the OEM system, then asked to see the replacement pipes. He saw FRPP on the box and said it shouldn't be a problem. I came back a few hours later. He said “Good choice on the pipes. Car looks good and sounds good.” Everything is snug, no rattles, and you see end result pics. Of course I kept the Bullitt pipes.

Does it still sound like the stock Bullitt but louder? Well …kinda. Why do I say that? Because Ford tuned the entire system to get that exhaust note we all love. I removed and replaced one of the components. So I just don’t think it’s true to say, “It still sounds just like the Bullitt.”

One of the things I like about “BlackPony’s” clip is that he doesn’t rev the car as if he’s coming out of a Nascar pit stop. We don’t drive like that on the street. At idle, he’s just massaging the throttle and listen at the response. Now I notice when I shift from 1-2, or 2-3, I can do it at 3000 rpm or less and the car sounds real nice. Not overbearing. Just a deep powerful growl that says, “There’s a lot more where that came from.”

My honest answer about these 5GT axle-backs -- They sound like I want MY Bullitt to sound.

chip

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
WOW!

A great sound AND a great look...I really like the FR logo peeping from the underside.

Well done!

:clap:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I really wanted to stay true to the Bullitt by keeping it sounding like the 68 version but these pipes are temptimg. The stock car is quiet and with those mufflers it does sound good even though it says they arent legal here in california. But the weight reduction is nice and will be inline with the mods i wanna do. -20lbs for exhaust,, -12lbs for aluminum radiator support, -25lbs for driveshaft. That will help when i take the car to Infeneon or Laguna Seca. Anyone seen these mufflers for cheaper than $399?

·
Registered
90 Posts
j0eyabs said:
I really wanted to stay true to the Bullitt by keeping it sounding like the 68 version but these pipes are temptimg. The stock car is quiet and with those mufflers it does sound good even though it says they arent legal here in california. But the weight reduction is nice and will be inline with the mods i wanna do. -20lbs for exhaust,, -12lbs for aluminum radiator support, -25lbs for driveshaft. That will help when i take the car to Infeneon or Laguna Seca. Anyone seen these mufflers for cheaper than $399?
$399 is a great price for those and yes, they sound so good on the Bullett. Nice & quiet at idle & cruise and like waking up a monster when you nail it! Same Bullitt sound, just more of it.

However, they do not sound quite as good on my wife's GT. It is louder at idle & cruise and crazy loud when you nail it. It is bone stock except for the FR CAI, FR 91 octane race tune, & 5GT exhaust. Must be the larger cross over pipe?

FYI: Back in the day when I was 1/4 mile drag racing street/brackets every 100 lbs. was worth 1/10 a second off of your ET...

Cheers~ Anthony

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry, slight detour...

I just noticed the faux gas cap, looks really sharp.

chip721 said:

What is it and where did you get it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lightning said:
Sorry, slight detour...I just noticed the faux gas cap, looks really sharp.
What is it and where did you get it?
I replaced the Bullitt faux cap with this tru-billet rear medallion - black anodized finish, no logo. I got it from MossMotors. It's actually a SilverHorseRacing product. For some reason Moss sells it $15 cheaper. Moss shipped from Richmond, VA (near me), and SHR is in Palm Bay, FL. If you shop around, I'm sure you can find similar items cheaper. But SHR makes good stuff (looks, quality, and fit). I got my louvers from SHR. The rear medallion is hinged and opens downward. So you still have access to your key lock on the trunk too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts